Sunday, July 1, 2018

Spicy Beaten Corn Chivda (Corn Poha).


“Spicy Beaten Corn Chivda (Corn Poha)” … Monsoon always tends to increase appetite and here is a crunchy savory quick healthy snack flavored with spices to satisfy those in between hungers … and NO these are not cornflakes … A few months back I found this beaten corn just like beaten rice / poha in Mall … I love to buy anything new and sometimes it remains in the back shelves … today found it and decided to try out spicy chivda … tastes awesome with some freshly grated coconut added on … Yummilicious … 

** Poha or Povu ie Beaten Rice Chivda is something prepared always at home to munch on whenever one feels hungry. It is mostly prepared in every home during the Diwali festival and I have included a few of them before too. As I mentioned above a few months back I found this pack of corn poha / beaten corn in a mall. Though many of you may be familiar with it, for me this was something new, I had never come across it before. Nowadays many organic health promoters have started such products with many types of grains. I got another packed of popped jowar too, well that is yet to be prepared. There were many more popped or beaten varieties of grains, but I restricted myself to these to for present. I will not run into much details about chivda as everybody knows about this snack. 

** By and large I always use Microwave method for roasting for the last 8 years as I have issues with neck and spine and too much of stirring triggers the pain. So my loyal friend in the kitchen are my gadgets, and I am happy that they are in existence as otherwise I could never have coped with all these cooking I do on daily basis. They are a boon to people like me who want to do so much, but have to hold back for health reasons. I roasted the beaten corn, putani (roasted gram), ground nuts in the microwave and then seasoned them in kadai and the whole process was simply a breeze work. Just add in a tablespoon of freshly grated coconut to each serving plate and serve them whenever hunger hits your tummy. 


** Roasting the Beaten Corn : Add the corn poha / beaten corn into a glassware microwave dish and microwave it on high till crisp. I used about 300 gms and It hardly took about a few minutes. But do keep checking often or else you may burn it or over roast the same and then it will taste bitter. You can also roast the same on a thick bottomed kadai on medium heat in batches of a cup at one time till done. Whichever method you use, roast the beaten corn and put them ready. aside in a large plate. 

** Roasting the Putani / Roasted Gram : Add in half a cup again in a glassware microwave dish and microwave it on high till crisp. It hardly takes a 2-3 minutes, do keep checking often or else you may burn it or over roast the same. Remove and keep this ready aside. 

** Roasting of Groundnuts / Peanuts : Add half a cup of peanuts in the same glassware microwave dish and microwave it on high till done. This will take slightly more time than the above two, say maximum about 5-6 minutes. Keep this also ready aside. 

** Preparing of the Spicy Beaten Corn Chivda (Corn Poha) : Heat about 2 tblsp of coconut oil (you can use any oil) in a kadai, when hot add in 2 tsp of mustard seeds (sasam / rai), when it begins to splutter, lower the heat to minimum and add in a handful of cashew nut pieces and fry till the color changes slightly, then add in a handful of raisins (dry grapes) and continue to fry for few minutes. 

** Now add in 10-15 fresh curry leaves, ¼ tsp of haldi (turmeric powder), 1 tsp of hing powder, 8-10 green chillies slit lengthwise and cut to pieces and fry for a few seconds. Add in the roasted putani and groundnuts along with salt to taste and mix well. Finally add in the roasted beaten corn / corn poha and continue mixting till the chivda is well coated with spices and mixed well, just for a few minutes. Remove from fire and allow it cool before you put it n airtight container and store it away. 


** “Spicy Beaten Corn Chivda” is done and ready to be served. You can serve it as it is as a snack or you can add in some freshly grated coconut to each serving in plates, mix well and serve the same. This one comes in handy if prepared and stored when guests drop in unannounced or whenever you feel hunger pangs. Children are always feeling hungry and want to munch up on something, this is a healthy option compared to the ready instant food that has flooded the market now. Do try it and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Note : You can add in any nuts like almonds too, to the mixture. You can also cut thin slices of three inches of coconut and fry them in oil in seasoning and then add on to the chivda too, I have not added it as we do not like it very much. 

** You can use the search option for "Snacks / Savories / Chivda" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with dosa / Idly / roti etc. or with dal-chawal too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.