“Varai- Moong Dal Vegetable Masala Khichidi (Indian Barnyard Millet- Green Gram Dal Vegetable Masala Pongal)” … here is a healthy- heartwarming millet khichidi/ pongal prepared including veggies that can be consumed on a “NO- Onion- Garlic- Rice Meals” day … all you need to serve along with this nutritional dish is some fresh homemade curds/ dahi and it tastes excellent … I added on upkari/ bhaji and few fries as side dishes to be served during lunchtime and it was truly a fantastic meal … try it, its definitely a healthy meal … Yummilicious …
** Spicy Khichidi and Pongal are both the same with minute difference and is immensely loved by almost all Indians prepared following their own recipe. In my home too we love it very much be it prepared in combination of any lentils along with rice or millets with or without veggies. My hubby never tires of relishing this dish and has no complaints even if served on daily basis. Over the years, I have started preparing different types of Spicy Khichidi with as many variations as possible making my own mix and match of ingredients. I began to add assorted veggies, non-veg, different dals, millets, masalas etc. to make it tastier- nutritious and somehow it always turned out perfect, I guess this is one dish with which one can never go wrong, isn’t it???? I am sure many will agree.
** Here is another healthy version of spiced veggie Khichidi/ Pongal this time prepared with dal and millet as we were observing a NO- onion- garlic- rice day. I kept the combo of millet- moong dal same as is the way it is normally cooked with rice and just added on a few veggies along with masala powders. As I had prepared the khichidi spicy, I kept the serving simple with just homemade curds and it was an excellent. I also added a upkari/ bhaji as is my practice of doing so at meals and a few fries of breadfruit. Breadfruit is difficult to get in Mumbai and when I do I simply enjoy preparing them as fries almost on daily basis until it lasts. I suggest you do not cut down on the amount of ghee/ toop, as it makes the dish not only tastier but also helps in proper digestion.
** Here is my own recipe for “Varai- Moong Dal Vegetable Masala Khichidi (Indian Barnyard Millet- Green Gram Dal Vegetable Masala Pongal)” my style, tastes fantastic served with curds, do try it ....
** Ingredients :
Varai/ Indian Barnyard Millet/ Samak: 1 cup
Moong Dal/ Split Green Gram : 1 cup
Beetroot : 1 medium sized
Carrot/ Gajjar : 1 medium sized
Mustard Seeds/ Rai/ Sasam : 1 tsp
Jeera/ Cumin Seeds :1/2 tsp
Whole Black Pepper Corns/ Mire/ Mire : 1 tblsp
Cinnamon/ Tikesaali/ Dalchini : 1-2 (1 inch size)
Cloves/ Lavanga/ Laung : 1-2
Bay Leaf/ Tej Patta : 2-3
Haldi/ Turmeric Powder : ¼ tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder/ Laal Mirchi Powder/ Mirsange Pitti : 1 tblsp
Malwani Masala Powder : 1 tblsp
Salt/ Namak/ Meeta : ½ tsp
Ghee/ Toop : 3-4 tblsp
Oil/ Tel/ Tela : 2-3 tblsp
** Wash and soak Varai in plenty of water for about 6-8 hours or overnight. I really have no knowledge if this step is necessary. However, many of my friends who consume millet on regular basis always suggest that it should be soaked overnight for better digestion, so I have started doing the same. Drain off excess water after soaking period, wash with fresh water twice, drain and keep it ready aside.
** Wash and soak moong dal in fresh water for about 30 minutes (Optional). Drain and add moong dal into a colander and rinse well under running water. Keep it aside for 15-20 minutes for excess water to be drained off.
** Peel off the outer skin of both beetroot and carrot and cut them to ½ inch sized cubes. Rinse well, drain and keep it aside ready. (I have used only these two veggie here, you can use more veggies of your choice too).
** In a pressure cooker pan add ghee+ oil, when hot add mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter, lower the heat to minimum and add jeera, whole black pepper corns, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves and fry all together for a minute only (do not let them burn). Now add the drained moong dal and fry for 2-3 minutes on medium to low heat.
** Add the drained Varai, mix well and continue to fry all together for another minute. Now add Kashmiri chilly powder, haldi powder, malwani masala powder, salt to taste and mix well. Add the cut beetroot and carrot pieces along with 4 cups of hot boiling water and mix well. Cover the lid and let cook on medium heat to one whistle. Now lower the heat to minimum and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes. Then raise the heat and let cook to one more whistle only, remove from heat and let rest.
** Let it rest for 15-20 minutes before you open the lid, this helps in proper cooking of ingredients in the cooker to perfect texture. Gently open the lid and let rest for another 2-3 minutes undisturbed and then you may serve it hot immediately. Remember the texture of good- tasty khchidi should thick and mushy and not leave water from sides on serving (in konkani we say dab dabi jaavuka). In case you need to serve it after few hours and on resting it thickens up, add some boiling water, mix well until you bring it to the desired consistency and its ready to be served.
** Note : You can garnish any khichidi/ pongal with cashew nuts fried in ghee, it tastes wonderful, this time I have skipped it.
** “Varai- Moong Dal Vegetable Masala Khichidi (Indian Barnyard Millet- Green Gram Dal Vegetable Masala Pongal)” is done and ready to be served. Always serve khichidi steaming hot topped with a generous helping of homemade ghee/ toop (about a tblsp for each person) for best of taste and help digestion. You can serve khichidi with plain curds/ raita/ kadhi/ thick tomato saar or any other curry of your choice as an accompaniment. Having said that when you want to keep it simple and light then the best combination would be to serve it with plain homemade curds or raita.
** Khichidi is one of the best comfort meal and when veggies are included it increases its nutritional value and is a great dish to be enjoyed anytime of the day. In some places, it is served as a breakfast item especially when you know you will be out on work/ travel most of the day. Again, many prefer it kept simple during dinnertime and I often did so a few decades back. However, now I prefer to serve it at lunchtime along with a few accompaniments, today I served it with simple plain curds, a veggie bhaji, a little bit of pickle and a few tava fries, and it was a wonderful meal that we enjoyed. Do include this simple veggie khichidi into your diet to make your family fit and healthier.
** Sharing common link to all “Khichidi” recipes that include both sweet and spicy shared in the Blog. Please browse through in leisure …
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks.