“Kabuli Chana- Kananga Masala Upkari (Chickpeas- Sweet Potato Masala Bhaji)” served with puffed poories … chane upkari is a simple side dish from GSB Konkani Saraswat Cuisine often served for breakfast with pova chutney, pova usli, poori, dosa etc. … for this recipe I have added sweet potato and given a small twist by adding malwani masala powder with plenty of freshly grated coconut and it tastes awesome … I served with poori and it was excellent … you can serve it with roti/ paratha/ dosa or any other dish of your choice … Yummilicious …
** Chane Upkari/ bhaji is a common sight in most GSB homes and I myself prepare atleast once a month though my guess would be twice. I have shared a few recipes in similar line to which I will share a common link at the bottom of this recipe. Do browse through those recipes for more info if needed. As I mentioned in my earlier posts you can prepare this dish with either brown or white chana and my preference has always been white ones, as they remain soft unlike the brown ones.
** For this recipe, I have used sweet potato and I suggest you do the same. Sweet potatoes have immense health benefits and tastier compared to either potato or raw bananas you must make it a point to include them in your diet. I have added Malwani masala powder, you may add any curry masala powder of your choice. In all a wonderful side dish that goes well served with poori/ roti. Do try this simple dish and enjoy with your family and friends, do browse through the blog for more choice.
** Here is my recipe for “Kabuli Chana- Kananga Masala Upkari (Chickpeas- Sweet Potato Masala Bhaji)”... my style ...
** Ingredients :
White Chana/ Kabuli Chana/ Chickpeas : 2 cups
Kananga/ Sweet Potato/ Ratalu/ Sihi Genasu : 250 gms
Coconut/ Nariyal/ Soyi : ½ cup freshly grated
Coconut Oil/ Nariyal Tel/ Narlel Tela : 2-3 tblsp
Mustard Seeds/ Rai/ Sasam : 1 tsp
Urad Dal/ Black Gram Dal : ½ tsp
Dry Red Chilly/ Sukki Mirsanga/ Sookhi Mirchi : 2-3
Curry Leaves/ Kadipatta/ Karbevu : 8-10 fresh leaves
Hing/ Asafoetida Powder : 1 tsp
Turmeric/ Haldi Powder : a pinch
Jaggery/ Gud/ Goda/ Bella : 2-3 tblsp grated/ powder
Malwani Masala Powder : 2-3 tblsp
Amchur/ Dry Mango Powder : ½ tsp
Salt/ Namak/ Meeta : to taste
** Soak kabuli chana/ chick peas overnight or for 6-8 hours in plenty of water. Drain, rinse well and add into a pressure cooker along with enough water say to the level of the chickpeas and pressure cook on medium heat to 1-2 whistles only. Remove and let rest allowing the pressure to drop by itself. When the pressure drops and open the lid, check if the chickpeas are cooked if not cook for another whistle or until done after which remove an keep it aside ready. (Do not overcook the chickpeas).
** Wash well, pat dry and peel off the outer skin of kananga/ sweet potato and cut them into medium sized cubes, say about 1/2 inch. Add the cut pieces immediately in a bowl of water to avoid discoloration of the same. Soaking in water is important as if left in open the pieces will turn blackish in color, so be careful.
** To Prepare Upkari/ Bhaji : Heat coconut oil in a thick bottomed kadai/ pan, when hot add urad dal when the color changes lightly, add mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter add red chilly cut to pieces along with fresh curry leaves, hing powder, haldi powder and fry all together just for a few minutes on low heat.
** Drain sweet potato pieces and add into the kadai and mix well. Add about 1/2 cup of water and mix well. You can add the kabuli chana cooked water here which is what I do. Cook on high heat stirring well in between and when you see bubbles in the water, lower the heat to minimum and cook covered until 80% done.
** Now add in pressure cooked kabuli chana along with water if any and mix well. Add grated/ powdered jaggery, salt to taste and mix well. Cook on medium heat stirring often say for 5 minutes, then lower the heat, cover and cook until. Do not worry if a little bit of water remains, it will dry up with addition of masala.
** Add coconut gratings, malwani masala powder, amchur powder and mix well. Cook covered on low heat stirring in between until the masala has been cooked and you get a lovely aroma. This will take some time say about 5-7 minutes and if you find the bhaji too dry you can sprinkle some water and continue to cook.
** Note : I have added Malwani Masala Powder easily available in stores, you may add in masala powder of your choice. Again, to bring in a little bit of tart taste I have added amchur powder you can add any tamarind paste, aagal too.
** Note : If a little bit of water remains on cooking it is ok, it will dry up on cooling, if not too, it tastes great when to taste with roti.
** Note : Do not add excess water while pressure cooking the kabuli chana. However, if there is more pressure cooked chana water, you may retain the cooked water to prepare rasam or saar it tastes great. (check on blog for recipe)
** “Kabuli Chana- Kananga Masala Upkari (Chickpeas- Sweet Potato Masala Bhaji)” is done and ready to be served. Tastes best served as a side dish with poori, roti or parathas though you may serve with any dish of your choice. I have already mentioned that chana upkari is a common dish often prepared in my home, the difference in this recipe is addition of masala which tastes great especially if you need it to be served with poori/ roti/ parathas, try it, tastes delicious. I served with poories and it tasted awesome, in fact I fell short on quantity and had to prepare the dough again.
** I am sharing a common link below to all “Chana” recipes shared in the Blog, which includes upkari/ bhaji too, do browse through in leisure …
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks.