Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Lychee- Doodh Candy/ Milk Popsicle.


Beating the heat, my style … sharing “Lychee- Doodh Candy/ Milk Popsicle” … these days one is spoiled for choice when it comes to frozen desserts be it ice cream, kulfi, ice candy, chocobar, sorbet, the list goes on … however, the heart always craves for that simple childhood joy of sipping on to frozen dessert, even if it meant sipping on to plain ice cubes from freezer, it was so much fun … doodh candy always brings in loads of childhood memories of sitting on the portico/ steps in hometown and sipping on ice- candy during summer holidays ... here is a delicious creamy- milky- candy prepared with lychee … prepare and enjoy them before it completely melts to the still on rise summer heat, tastes excellent … Yum- Yum- Yummilicious ....

** I love sipping on to any ice candy/ Popsicle and prefer it to ice cream, however it’s my hubby who is much more fonder of these frozen desserts. I often prepare simple flavored, fruit based or milk candy during summer. Not sure if this year the heat is more than previous years or weather that is the way we feel every year. But one thing stands undisputed the desire to sip on ice candy or ice creams to beat the heat.

** I often forget to click a picture or they melt before I do so, the very reason why you find less posts on Popsicle, how I wish I had done so, there would have been plenty to decide from. Whenever I prepare any seasonal fruit juice I pour it into a small glass, insert a wooden stick, freeze it, sip it on during mid morning break and it sure is a heavenly treat, as simple as that. Try it, sure to be loved by your family and friends.

** For “Lychee- Doodh Candy/ Milk Popsicle” I have used ingredients available in our kitchen. I have used milk powder too which you can replace with full fat thickened milk too. The point here is to get a thicker textured creamier candy close to ice cream, that’s it. If you have milk powder, use it, gives excellent results for candy. I have used fresh lychee fruits which is in season and I really won’t recommend artificial flavor.

** Here is my simple recipe for “Lychee- Doodh Candy/ Milk Popsicle” … my style, try it, it tastes wonderful …

** Wash, wipe dry and peel off the outer skin of about 10-12 fresh Lychee. Collect the white fleshy outer pulp and discard the inner seed.

** Add lychee pulp into a blender along with 1 cup of milk powder, ½ cup sugar and blend to a smooth paste, mixing a few times in between.

** Add ¼- ½ cup of cold full fat milk and further blend all together to a smooth paste. Do not worry if some small pieces of fleshy portions remain.

** Note : You can add in a few fleshy portion of lychee chopped fine and mix well or coarsely crush and add the same to the candy too after it has been blended to a fine paste. I have not done so, to avoid crystal formation in candy.

** Pour the prepared thick and smooth lychee milk pulp into any popsicle/ ice candy mold of your choice or you can even use small sized steel glasses.

** If using molds it comes with a stick along with top holder of its own, if using glass then cover with a silver foil and inset the wooden stick from center.

** Freeze it overnight for perfect Popsicle though you can prepare them well ahead if busy and need to serve it to guests or family on weekend.

** “Lychee- Doodh Candy/ Milk Popsicle” are done and ready to be served. Just loosen it a little bit just before serving or dip the back of mold in water and you can retrieve them in one go and serve it immediately before it begins to melt. Tastes wonderful especially when served during mid morning when heat is at its peak.

** All of us especially children are always reluctant to drink milk, remember how Amma had to literally stand and watch with eagles eye to check if we are finishing off that glass of milk or not, ahhhaa I so miss those days. I too hate milk to date, but I do take it studiously with a pinch of haldi/ turmeric every night before I retire to bed.

** When it comes to health, some habits have to be built whether we like it or not, isn’t it??? trust me when done so it not only is for a lifetime but it sure builds the chain with coming generations too. I do not fall for that trap of milk is not good for health that is promoted these days and see to it that I have my quota of the day.

** Both lychee and milk is good for health, I do understand some people object to milk and fruit being mixed and I am not here to debate on that point. My ancestors have enjoyed it and lived a good healthy long life which holds good for me to follow them. Remember aamras or fruit milk shakes they have been there for eons, isn't it.

** Having said my take on milk, fruit, combination etc. I would like to mention that I am neither a Doctor nor Nutritionist to debate or go into depth of it. For any reason if you do not want to use milk and prefer vegan, then you can easily use either ready almond milk or grind soaked, peeled almonds first and then add on the lychee pulp.

** You can check out more “popsicle/ ice candy” recipes by following the common link shared below, sure to add more soon ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.