Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Fresh Pigeon Peas (Tori)~Chinese Potato (Kooka) Bhaji.


“Jeevi Tori ani Kooka Upkari / Fresh Pigeon Peas and Chinese Potato Bhaji” … A favorite amongst Konkani Saraswat … this is a delicious simple upkari/bhaji/stir fry sort of a side dish that goes very well with rice-dal/saar or any other dishes … 

** Fresh pigeon peas/jeevi tori as called in konkani is seasonal and now its still available. Though I love this veggie somehow I never go in for it much as the shelling of the pea pods is a pain, unlike that of green peas. It is easy to peel off the shell of green peas and also of red bean while pigeon peas is a tedious also there are lots of worms or spoilt ones in them so one has to be careful. But then when the tongue craves for the same it does not listen to the mind and its logic, it just wants to go ahead and enjoy / relish the same come what may. When I saw a vendor selling the same in large quantities, I simple could not stop myself from purchasing. But when I had sit peeling them later on late night I was literally in tears. But when I saw a bowl full of the peas my mood was pepped up. I prepared gashi a delicious gravy dish again famous amongst Konkani Saraswats while I kept some of it aside to prepare this bhaji. 

** Chinese Potato / Kooka as called in Konkani is also in season now and it goes well when added on to any pulses or veggies. This one too is a tedious time consuming tuber as it is muddy and the skin has to be removed with scrapper and is a pain to do so with small sized ones. In olden days the whole lot used to be put in gunny bags and the same used to bit hit / banged on a stone or rough surface which actually loosened the skin and made it easily to wash it off. But now neither do we have access much to gunny bags nor to we have large stoneware at home so we have to do with scrapper, which is messy as the hands too get darkened. Look, I told you it really needs time and patience regarding both the veggies but when it comes to relishing the same, it always falls short in my home to my dismay. 


** Here is the method of preparing “Jeevi Tori ani Kooka Upkari / Fresh Pigeon Peas and Chinese Potato Bhaji” … My Style …. 

** Ingredients : 
Fresh Pigeon Peas / Jeevi Tori / Tur : 250 gms (Shelled and ready to cook) 
Chinese Potato / Kooka : 6-8 large sized. 
Coconut : 1 tblsp freshly grated. 
Salt to taste 

** For Tempering : 
Oil : 1 tblsp 
Mustard Seeds / Sasam / Rai : 1 tsp 
Dry Red Chillies : 5-6 (+/- depending on individual choice) 
Hing / Asafoetida Powder : ½ tsp 
Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta / Karbev : 8-10 fresh leaves. 

** Remove the kooka outer muddy skin with a potato scrapper / peeler and put them in water. You may use any method you use to peel off the skin as some use scrubbing method on gunny bags, I however just use potato peeler. Wash it in plenty of water till you see clean water as they tend to have lot of mud stuck to them. Then cut them into 1 inch size pieces and keep them ready. 

** In a pressure cooker pan wash and add in the fresh pigeon peas along with enough water ie. say about ½ an inch above the level of the peas. Now pressure cook to 2 whistles on medium heat. Let the pressure fall, then open the lid and add in the cut kooka, check the water, usually there is no need to add on. Now once again pressure cook all to one whistle on medium heat. Again let the pressure from the cooker fall on its own. Remove when done and it ready to be further tempered. 

** In a thick bottomed kadai add in the oil, when hot add in the mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter add in the curry leaves, red chillies cut to pieces and the hing powder and fry for a second. Then add in the pressure cooked fresh tori-kooka to it along with the little bit of water if any and mix well. Add salt to taste and cook for 5-7 minutes. Lastly garnish with the freshly grated coconut and mix well. 

** “Jeevi Tori ani Kooka Upkari / Fresh Pigeon Peas and Chinese Potato Bhaji” is done and ready to be served. This is a dry side dish bhaji/upkari that is served as an accompaniment along with other dishes. I served it with a carrot raita and tomato saar along with rice and added on a few store bought banana wafers too make my lunch complete. Do try this combo out and enjoy with your family and friends, I am sure they will love it. You can shell the fresh tori the previous day to cut down your work and then it will be done faster during meal time. 

** This bhaji goes as it is very well with poori or chapati / roti too and is a hit with children. But for the same do leave in a little bit of water while cooking as it gives added on waterish taste when you dunk them in the bhaji and is simple awesome. Try it, tastes great, usually I do add in a few poori while preparing this particular upkari, but I am trying my best to cut down on fires after Diwali which I find very hard too. As I always love to have a few bajias or poori with such a fantastic bhaji. Maybe my next post will be on it, as now my taste buds are tickled and I am yearning for it. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.