Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Ghol Hummana / Croaker Fish Curry with Asafoetida~Coconut Oil.


“Ghol Hummana (Hinga Uddaka-Narlel Tela Ghalnu) / Croaker Fish Curry with Asafoetida~Coconut Oil” ... A delicious fish curry with asafoetida / hing flavor and coconut oil, that tastes delicious when served with hot steaming rice .... Yummy Yumz ..... 

** It’s almost a week now after Diwali and things have slowly settled into normalcy from the crazy Diwali overworking atmosphere. The tired body has recuperated and so has the overloaded tummy and it’s back to routine work now. Diwali had set in a craving for spicier Non-Veg dishes, so today prepared a fish thali as it was really a long time since we ate a proper fish meal in my home. My fish vendor who has come back from Diwali Vacation, did not bring in much fish today as it is holidays for school going children so the families are still on vacation. She had a fish called Ghol / Croaker Fish which I had heard was very tasty, but myself had never tasted it. I had seen it many times with fish vendors but never bought it as I was vary of trying out something new. A few friends had posted this fish in my food group and I knew it was quite safe to eat and that many loved the fish too, so that’s it I decided to purchase a small amount of the fish as it is cut into pieces and sold. 

** I already had a little bit of masala remaining from my prepared ground masala for prawn curry of yesterday, which I had kept in the freezer, so I wanted some fish that I could do as Hummana (curry) itself. Well that’s it croaker fish was purchased and prepared in Amchi Konkani Saraswat’s Hummana Style, ie with Hinga Uddaka (asafoetida) and Coconut oil for seasoning and it tasted simply awesome. I forgot to click a separate picture, in my hurry of serving the thali, so I have posted it by enlarging the same thali picture. Do try out this easy to cook recipe with ghol / croaker fish and enjoy with your family and friends. The recipe remains the same as of other hummana recipe and I have not made any changes. But, since this is a different fish altogether, I have repeated it in short again. I will also share some other hummana links for reference at the bottom of this recipe, you can check out on the same. This curry tastes best when served with rice / boiled rice. 


** Here is my metho of preparing “Ghol Hummana (Hinga Uddaka-Narlel Tela Ghalnu) / Croaker Fish Curry with Asafoetida~Coconut Oil” ... My Style ....  

** Wash the fish pieces in water, drain off excess water and keep them ready aside. Ghol / Croaker fish is a large one and the outer skin is removed and the flesh pieces are cut into pieces. There are hardly much of thorns in the fish. I bought the tail side of the fish and a little bit of the thinner skin was retained and my fish vendor told me I could just straight away use it either in gravy curry or as fries. A lovely no mess, clean fish. I had about 2 x 2 inch sized 6 pieces of the same. 

** Masala to be ground : Add in a mixer grinder 1 cup of freshly grated coconut with 5-6 red kashmiri chillies, a small marble sized tamarind and grind to a very fine paste with little bit of water. The ground paste should be very fine and not too thin in texture. 

** Now add the ground masala in a wide stainless steel vessel, add water if necessary to bring to a thick gravy consistency. Now bring the curry to a boil on medium heat and then let the gravy simmer for a few minutes on low heat. 

** Now gently add in the fish pieces, salt to taste and bring back to a boil on medium heat till the fish is cooked. It will just take about 3-4 minutes. Do not stir the curry with the fish or the fish tends to break as fish cooks fast, so keep a watch and do not overcook them. Gently tilt the vessel in oval movement with a pair of tongs or holding the vessel on the top circumference with a cloth. 

** Once the fish have cooked, they will turn tender and white in color, now add in 1 tablespoon of prepared hing water (preparation method given below) and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Wait for a few seconds and then remove the curry from fire and keep it aside covered for 15-20 minutes for the flavors to get well seeped in within. 


** “Ghol Hummana (Hinga Uddaka-Narlel Tela Ghalnu) / Croaker Fish Curry with Asafoetida~ Coconut Oil” is done and ready to be served. Tastes best when served with steaming hot plain rice / red boiled rice, but you may serve the same with any other accompanied dish of your choice. Try out this curry and enjoy with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** Note : For Preparing Asafoetida / Hing Water : Hing water is prepared by putting a small marble sized gummy hing (available in South Indian Stores) into a glass bottle and adding about a small cup of boiled and cooled water to it. Within a few hours the hing will slowly melt and you will get a thick whitish liquid. This is hing water. You can keep this in the fridge and use sparingly as and when needed. We GSB / Sarawath Konkani people usually prepare the same and keep it in the fridge always and use the same for dal, patrado or any other hummana etc. 

** If adding Asafoetida / hing powder, heat the coconut oil and when hot add in a 1 large teaspoon of hing powder in it and then add it to the curry. I have added hing water which is always available in my home. You may choose any method. 

** Note : I have given a common link of hummana below which includes both Veg. and Non.Veg curries with the same, please go through the link and you will find more options, combination in preparation of the same curry. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.