Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Dalimba Saali- Hinga Gooli/ Pomegranate Skin- Asafoetida Coconut Chutney.


“Dalimba Saali- Hinga Gooli/ Pomegranate Skin- Asafoetida Coconut Chutney” … Gooli/ Chutney is a classic dish from GSB Konkani Saraswat Cuisine ... It features endless variations and I have shared many recipes, making the choices feel endless … Dalimb/ Pomegranate skin (peel), contains powerful antioxidants making it a healthy ingredient to be added to dishes and here I have used them to prepare this delicious- healthy chutney/ gooli; sort of a best out of waste dish … tastes best served alongside pejje jevana (rice porridge) or classic dal- chawal, making it the ultimate cozy meal when heavy monsoon rains pour outside … plenty of pomegranates are available now, do give this dish a try and enjoy … Yummilicious …

** Pomegranate peels/ Dalimbeche Saali/ have immense health benefits and can be sun dried and stored for future use. The dried peels can be used in preparation of rasam, saar, tambuli, chutney, kadhi, virshe’ etc. I believe it’s used in beauty packs too, though I have limited knowledge of it. Again, both sun dried peels and powder form are available in stores while the same can be prepared at home if you have good sun light facility. However, I have  decided to cut off stocking and use ingredients immediately, finish them off as these days almost everything is available all round the year and there is no point in storing them, you may decide either way, however, do try this dish. 

** Pomegranate fruits are easily available almost all round the year, so the next time you purchase them do not throw away the peels, just clean the inner pith attached to the skin and holding the seeds and store the peels either in fridge to be used within a day or two or sun-dry them and store for a few months usage. Pomegranate tree overall is a storehouse of useful ingredients; the leaves, the bark, the fruit, the seeds, its outer skin can all be used for health benefits. I have shared quite a few dishes like tea, rasam, kadhi, tambuli etc. prepared with skin to which I will share a common link at the bottom of this recipe, you may browse through and try them at your convenience.

** Coming to the sun- drying part of the pomegranate skin/ dalimba saali, just collect the outer skin of fresh pomegranate and remove the inner white pith attached to it. Now cut them into large pieces, wash well and pat dry with a thick kitchen towel to remove excess water. Now keep the peels spread out on a large plate and leave it in the open for 24 hrs and used them as needed for dishes. You can store them in fridge in air tight box for 2 days. If you have good sun- light facility you can dry them well for a 2-3 days and then store them in air- tight container in room temperature too, however, I avoid this as I tend to forget and prefer to use straight away for best health benefits.

** About Ambuli/ Raw Mangoes I am sure you all know of the innumerable dishes that can be prepared using them besides the most sought after pickle/ nonche/ uppinakayi. I have shared lots of dishes where in these have been used in their raw form. Again, you can sun- dry the raw mangoes if you have good sun- light facility, powder them and keep it in stock to be used throughout the year, its referred to as amchur powder (in hindi) and is easily available in stores. I always have the powder (from stores) in stock and use it often in chutney gooli, pani poori, pav bhaji, missal, fish marinates, podi’s and many other dishes. Here I have used amchur powder for preparation of chutney gooli.

** Gooli in Konkani means ball and this chutney is ground to a dry consistency wherein you can bind them to a ball, the very reason why its called so. By and large gooli is prepared with skin of veggies along with coconut gratings adding spices- tangy tasting ingredients; say you can call it a best out of waste dish. I have shared plenty of them in my Blog here as this chutney is loved a lot in my home be it prepared with any ingredients. Though it tastes best served for pejje jevana (rice porridge meals) or with dal chawal, in my home we enjoy it spread on toasted/ tava fried bread slices to be served for breakfast, trust me it tastes great, so does it served with dosa’s and Idly.

** Here is my recipe for “Dalimba Saali- Hinga Gooli/ Pomegranate Skin- Asafoetida Coconut Chutney” … my style …

** Ingredients :
Dalimba Saali/ Pomegranate Skin : of 2 large sized fruits.
Jeera/ Cumin Seeds : 2 tsp
Black Pepper Corns/ Mire/ Miri : 1 tsp
Green Chilly/ Tarni Mirsanga/ Hari Mirchi : 4-5
Coconut/ Soyi/ Nariyal : 2 cup freshly grated
Amchur/ Dry Raw Mango Powder : 2-3 tblsp
Hing/ Asafoetida Powder : 1 tsp
OR
Gummy Hing/ Asfaoetida : a small pea sized piece
Rock Salt/ Kala Namak/ Sendha Namak or any of your choice.
Coconut Oil/ Nariyal Tel/ Narlel Tel : 2-3 tblsp


** Preparing of Dalimba Saali/ Pomegranate Skin : Remove the inner pith of the outer skin of pomegranate, wash, pat dry and put them in a large plate spread out well. Allow them to dry overnight or for minimum 8-10 hours. (Do not use the skin of top and bottom sides of the pomegranate, as it tends to be bitter). Now cut them to small sized pieces and keep it ready aside (check picture collage included).

** To Prepare Gooli/ Chutney : Heat coconut oil in a small pan, when hot add jeera, black pepper corns, green chillies cut to pieces and fry for a few minutes only. If adding gummy hing piece then add it into the hot oil along with jeera, so that is melts down, if using powder add it after frying the jeera- pepper- chilly.

** Now add the cut pomegranate pieces and further fry until crisp and lightly browned. Do not raise the heat while frying them lest they burn or get over fried, this leads to a bitter taste in prepared chutney gooli. Remove from heat and keep it aside to rest and let come to room temperature or just warm enough.

** Add the above fried items into a mixer grinder with freshly grated coconut, amchur powder, salt to taste and grind to paste WITHOUT adding water. Keep mixing in between for even mixing and grinding of all ingredients. You can sprinkle little water only if you find difficulty in grinding though it is not advised.

** Note : Traditionally Gooli/ Chutney was ground on stone grinding without adding water to get the right texture. Addition of water thins out the chutney and though the same tastes good too, you will not be able to roll it into ball/ gooli.

** Note : If you do not want to add amchur/ dry mango powder for any reason you can add a small marble sized piece of tamarind/ imly/ chinchama while grinding. For more choice on preparation just browse through the common link shared, you will find plenty of combos, tips, pictures etc. you may try any of your choice.

** “Dalimba Saali- Hinga Gooli/ Pomegranate Skin- Asafoetida Coconut Chutney” Is done and ready to be served. Gooli chutney tastes best served with ukde tandla pejja or any tandla pejja/ ganji oota ie rice porridge. You can also serve it with Rice and Dal/ Saar; it tastes equally good served with any dishes. You can even relish it with Idly/ dosa/ chapati too and in my home we enjoy it applied on toasted/ tava fried bread slices; it tastes scrumptious. You can even prepare sandwiches with it, tastes great. It’s a lovely chutney to serve with panpolo (neer dosa) and above all you can serve it as it is with plain rice topped with a tablespoon of homemade ghee. Just mix it well and relish the rice with any veggie bhaji of your choice and you have a heartwarming meal.

** I have lovely childhood memories which I would love to write here in detail of enjoying meals when only Amma fed them to me by her hand while I sat blissfully on her lap. I still remember those days when me all of say 7-8 years old sat on Amma’s lap for meals, she would mix gooli chutney with plain rice and make laddoo sized balls and feed me misleading me into thinking that I was having laddoos. I guess all mothers know how to lure their children to eat food and when I go back on memories I not only miss those days, but I more so miss Amma who left for her heavenly abode 8 months back. There never has been a day that I have not missed her, may her soul rest in peace.

** There plenty varieties of "Chutney Gooli" recipes shared in the blog before. Sharing a common link below, please browse through in leisure …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.