Monday, November 6, 2017

Pathare Prabhu Masala.


“Pathare prabhu Masala” … A fragrant masala that enhances the taste of dishes when added, making it much more delicious and awesome. You can add it on while roasting masala’s to curries, pulav’s or while marinating chicken, fish or any other meat of your choice …. Yummy Yumz … 


Pathare Prabhu Community is famous for their Parabhi recipes. The PP (Pathare Prabhu) is a small community that originally hails from Mumbai but now immigrated worldwide. They are famous with their Non-Vegetarian cuisine and specialize in preparing their own masalas. Their traditional masala was a close guarded secret, still is, but somehow with globalization it is now reached the masses. I came across this masala when my friend Mariena Dsouza posted it along with some dishes prepared using the same masala. Though, I had heard of the community, I had not tried to prepare any of the dishes till date. The Chicken Parabi Pulao prepared and posted by her which needed this masala impressed me and I wanted to prepare the dish and relish the same. Initially I thought of purchasing the masala, but I was sure I would not find it in my vicinity or anywhere nearby without making proper query. I did not want to land up with something that I would be reluctant to use later on. As she had posted the masala powder recipe, I decided to prepare the same. And rest is history. The Chicken pulao with this masala turned out very flavorful and yumz. I will be posting it next, so be prepared with this masala first so that you can prepare the pulao without wasting any precious time. Thanks Mariena Dsouza for sharing this PP Masala. 

** Note : I have written this to the best of my knowledge as and how I came across from friends. The traditional one's may differ a little bit. I have written it how by and large people of present generation prepare / use it. 

** Again, I just tweaked a little bit while preparing the masala powder and added in fennel seeds (Saunf / Badisep) to the masala powder. I took a note when I went through many recipes on net that many of the PP recipes called for fennel powder. Me being an extensive used of fennel seed powder found it better to to be added on while preparing the powder instead of the addition later on. I also increased a little bit of hing and turmeric powder. I have also increased the Chilies as I used Kashmiri Red Chillies. These chillies not only impart a lovely colour but also give in more bulk to the curry. 

** Ingredients :
2 tblsp whole wheat / Ghenvu / Govu
2 tblsp Chana dal / Bengal Gram dal
1.5 tsp Mustard / Rai / Sasam seeds
1.5 tsp Cumin / Jeera seeds
1/2 tsp Methi / Fenugreek seeds
1 tsp Fennel / Saunf / Badisep seeds
8 tblsp Coriander / Dhania / Kothimbir seeds
25 – 30 Dry Red Kashmiri Chillies (+/- as per your liking if using any other chillies)
1 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
1 tsp Black Pppercorns / Kali Miri / Mire
1 tblsp Turmeric / Haldi powder

** This yields approximately about 150 gms of fine powder.


** Dry roast all the ingredients one at a time till fragrant, say for a few minutes. 

** Note A Valuable Tip : You can roast them in microwave too as I did. But you have to be very careful as each ingredient needs different timings. The powders have to be roasted less. And you have got to be careful with jeera / cumin seeds while roasting. Jeera if roasted more be it in tava or in MW goes bitter, so be careful. 

** Add all the ingredients after roasted into a bowl, toss well and allow to cool a little bit. 

** Now put it in a mixer grinder and grind to a fine powder on low speed. Keep mixing in between for properly getting the ing. Powdered.

** Note A Valuable Tip : Never run the motor on high speed while making any masala powder. The heat of the mixer sometime makes the masala turn sticky / wet. To get the powder in good powder form you should run it in slow / minimum speed and mix the ing. In between. And if at tall the mixer is hot when you touch the vessel, allow to cool before you continue. 

** Remove and sieve the powder through a fine sieve. Now this is an option that can be skipped too. But I follow it when I need fine based powders. Once you sieve, the rough portion will remain in the sieve. Put it back in the mixer and further run it till it turns fine. 

** Cool the sieved powder completely and put it in an airtight container and store it away from sunlight. The powder is now ready to be used in any dish of your choice. You can add in a little bit of this masala powder while marinating chicken, fish or while roasting masala’s for curries / pulav’s. I will be including many recipes soon. So watch this space. 

** “Pathare prabhu Masala” is done and ready to be used in various dishes. You can add this to any vegetable curry or Non-Veg dishes or follow the curries and pulav’s that will be posted soon. The net has loads of recipes using this masala powder, so be prepared, I will be sharing them often. As of now prepare and store this powder ready for further use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.