Monday, March 18, 2024

Wheat- Moong Dal Ubbati (Puran Poli/ Obbattu/ Holige).


“Wheat- Moong Dal Ubbati (Puran Poli/ Obbattu/ Holige)” … Ubbati or more famously known worldwide as puran poli is a flat roti/ bread which has a sweet lentil filling/ stuffing within, a traditional sweet dish that is prepared during “Holi~ The festival of Colours” and “Diwali~ The festival of Lights” ... there are numerous variations followed in making of ubbati throughout India as per the region … however one thing remains unchanged and that is its popularity on being savored by both young and old alike … prepared this one for a change using wheat flour for outer covering and moong dal for inner stuffing (puran) … it's a heavenly experience to relish the sweet creamy flavors that will melt in mouth when served warm topped with a generous drizzle of melted ghee/ toop ... Yummilicious .... 

** Ubbati/ Puran Poli/ Obbatu/ Holige brings in lots of childhood memories when Amma used to prepare them in bulk quite often as almost all of us; be it we siblings or our cousins or neighbors, all loved it very much and savored it with joy. Preparation of ubbati/ puran poli is a must during festive seasons specially during Holi, Krishna Janmashtami and Diwali. As mentioned above there are many variations in preparation of ubbati and each region/ community follows its own method. I have shared a few variations before along with the traditional one that Amma prepared using chana dal filling (churan/ puran) and maida for outer covering.

** With changing of times and with people being more creative minded courtesy net/ google/ You Tube/ Instagram, we often come across many variations in preparations of dishes. We all love to give some twists to original recipes or prepare them either in a quick to follow method or opt for healthier choice. Recently my Ayurveda Dr. suggested that I should cut down on certain pulses, veggies etc. for my Vata dosha and I had no choice but to do so and one of them was chana dal. Then on nutritionist suggestions maida/ APF to had to be drastically cut down and the dilemma began as these are the 2 main ingredients used for preparing of Ubbati.

** Well, the treatment is over and done with, Thank God, however I wanted to share this variation of Ubbati for those who have similar issues. I used wheat flour in place of maida and moong dal instead of chana dal, while the rest of the recipe remains almost the same with minute changes. I will share the link to the original recipe which I learnt from my Amma and it has step by step pictures of method of preparing of ubbati which is perfect and is very easy to understand and follow. I am mentioning only the minute changes made below while for rest of the method you can follow the original recipe as there is no point in repeating the same all over again here.

** For the recipe of “Wheat- Moong Dal Ubbati (Puran Poli/ Obbattu/ Holige)” I made only few changes that are mentioned below …


** I just replaced wheat flour (gonva peeta/ gehvun ka atta) in place of maida (APF). I added a pinch of salt (namak/ meeta), a pinch of haldi (turmeric) powder and a little bit of sugar powder (pitti shakkar/ sakre pitti) and prepared a soft dough with water. Then added a few tblsps of oil (tela/ tel) and kneaded again for a few minutes, kept it aside covered for about 2 hours to rest. After resting I once again kneaded adding another tablespoon of oil and then prepared the ubbati in same method as shared in link.

** For the sweet filling (puran/ churan) I have followed the same method as shared in the original link but by replacing moong dal (green gram dal) in place of chana dal (bengal gram dal). Rest of the procedure I followed as mentioned for the original ubbati/ purana poli without making any changes. I have added both jaggery (gud/ goda) and sugar (shakkar/ sakkara) as per original recipe to which I have shared the link, however you can use either jaggery or sugar as per your choice, it’s individual preference.

** I am sharing below the link to the original recipe of “Ubbati/ Puran Poli/ Obbattu/ Hoglie” which has step by step pictures which will definitely be helpful to those who are newbies. DO EXCUSE for not sharing the recipe all over again here, as it will only be a repetition of the same. Just note the changes I have made as mentioned above and follow rest of the method as per details shared in the link below ….

** I am also sharing a common link to all “Ubbati/ Puran Poli/ Obbattu/ Hoglie” recipe shared in Blog below for preparing different varities of the same if desired, do browse through them and try them out also in liesure …

** I have shared links above which include all details and step procedures which I am sure will be helpful, however, if there is still any query, you can always leave in a comment and I will get back as soon as possible ... Thank You ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.