Saturday, February 19, 2022

Spring Onion- Potato Soup.


“Spring Onion- Potato Soup” served with steamed ripe nendrabale kele (south Indian bananas) … soups can be a dinner in itself or an appetizer … when thicker and richer in texture, it can be a whole meal in itself and when lighter it can be served at the beginning to stimulate the appetite and aid in the flow of digestive juices … either way, steaming hot soup is a dish almost everybody loves to relish … always love this delicious combo soup with spices included, that are my favorite … Yummilicious …

** Winter and Monsoon are the seasons when we love to have soups as our dinner and somehow this winter with other work taking priority I could not try out new ones and stuck to the same tomato or corn soups. I have been wanting to prepare this long lost recipe of soup of mine for some time now as it been almost over 2 decades since I prepared it. There was this misconception ruling my mind hearing to hearsay that potato soups are bad, in fact potato itself is not so good a veggie, though I did prepare veggies, I had unfortunately stopped out on my favorite soups using them.

** Recently, I came across a subject written on it in detail and all I felt was anger at believing in false information and curtailing the use of it. Being curious to know more, I not only Googled for information at appropriate sites, but also went through many nutritionist blogs and also queried on them. My information is that while the fried ones are the ones to be avoided, the cooked ones could be had in limits, which was fine. I guess as potatoes are high in starch, we need to minimize them, but there is absolutely no need to delete them from our diet unless you are advised by Doctor or allergic to it.

** Well, I brought out my good old recipe from my old diary no. 4; remember I had mentioned I had 7 of them full of written recipes. Spring onions are also good for health and this one includes the same, again I have used garlic as we love the flavor it imparts to soups. I have used jeera (cumin seeds) and ajwain (vonvo/ bishop’s weed) too so that the vata issue if any gets balanced. In all a lovely soup according to me with minimum inclusion of fat, as I have used only 1 tblsp of coconut oil. We had it as our dinner with some steamed ripe south Indian nendrabale bananas, indeed tummy full.

** Here is my simple method of preparing delicious “Spring Onion- Potato Soup” … my style, do try it out …


** Heat 1 tblsp of coconut oil (narlel tela/ nariyal tel) in a pressure cooker pan. Add ½ tsp of jeera (cumin seeds), a large pinch of ajwain (vonvo/ bishop’s weed) followed by peeled, chopped 3-4 garlic (losun/ lehsun), 3-4 green chillies (tarni mirsanga/ hari mirchi) also cut into pieces and fry for a few seconds.

** Add one medium sized onion (piyavu/ kanda), peeled, chopped to cubes and fry till translucent. Add a pinch of haldi (turmeric) powder, one cup chopped green spring onions including the white bulbs and continue frying for a minute. Lastly add one large sized potato (batato) peeled and cut to cubes.

** Mix all the ingredients in the pressure pan adding one cup of water, salt (namak/ meeta) to taste and pressure cook on medium heat to 2-3 whistles. Let the pressure fall on its own and then open the lid let cool and then put all in a mixer grinder and grind to a very smooth paste adding more water only if necessary.

** Add the ground paste into a stainless steel vessel and add in required amount of water to bring the soup to required consistency. This is a thick textured creamy soup, so be careful with addition of water, you can always add while serving if necessary. Bring to a boil, stirring often on medium heat until well done.

** “Spring Onion- Potato Soup” is done and ready to be served garnished either with handful of chopped greens of spring onions or coriander leaves and seasoned with coarsely ground pepper powder. You can add a dash of freshly squeezed lemon juice if desired, however I have not as I do not like it.

** You can add on a few fried croutons (bread pieces) if desired as children (in fact even elders) love it. Whenever I have a few leftover bread slices, I cut them to desired shapes, fry them and store them in airtight container to be used in a day or two to serve along with soups, however, this time I did not have any.

** Though steamed Nendrabale kele/ South Indian Bananas are usually served at breakfast, sometimes I do include them as my dinner, especially if it’s just soup and I do not have a toast or bread sticks to serve along with. In all, we love this soup and your family is sure to do so too, so do try it out and serve it steaming hot.

** You can check out on all details of “Steamed Nendrabale Kele (Banana)" at the link provided below ….

** You can also check out more “Soups” under the common link provided below …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.