Sunday, January 30, 2022

The case of the missing molds.


“The case of the missing molds” …. there are times when we misplace things … you know its there somewhere, but where??? somehow you never find it when needed, that was the case with these rose shaped molds … finally the joy of finding them is unaccountable … prepared some beautiful "Steamed Idly Roses (in silicone molds)” along with Lauki Masoor Dal (Bottle Gourd Red Lentil Dal) … precious for sure, after all the wait, my guess has been for almost over 3 yrs … I am all set to enjoy these soft spongy steaming hot white rose Idlies dunked in equally delicious spiced dal as my lunch ... Yummilicious .... 

** Aren’t they beauties??? I know many of you have already prepared Idly in silicone molds, I too have prepared a heart shaped one a year back or so. This post is just for fun, its about my excitement on finally finding these molds, that I would like to share while the recipes have already been posted. The Idly recipe is the same traditional one with urad dal and rice while dal is prepared with masoor dal and bottle gourd along with spices. I had purchase two sets of silicone molds each having 8 pieces in them, one was heart shaped while the other was rose shaped. Yes the very ones I posted today preparing snow white Idlies in them though I guess these are basically used for baking cup cakes.

** To my dismay, I had misplaced this particular set and could not find it for almost 3 years. I was sure it was there somewhere and almost everytime I was to prepare Idlies, I searched for them in vain only to be disappointed. Hubby had long back advised me to write down where I kept the utensils stacked away, coz. recently I had fallen into the trap of forgetting things. I ransacked my kitchen almost every month to search for them but could not and hubby always said that I had lost it with disposed items, to which my reply was a big NO, I knew it was there, but where??? I felt like Sherlock Homes or should I say Perry Mason, maybe our own Karamchand, in search of as I titled it “The case of the missing molds”.

** Oh, how I wish I had written down, made an inventory of my things, so that I would not have to waste time, off course I did not admit that to hubby, I know he would say, I said so. But my search was on, I would not give up, I knew it was there somewhere, but where??? Was the million dollar question. Finally I found them in a unused Idly steamer, the one which is too large for daily use, with plate type Idly separators, still shines like a newly purchased one, coz. I have hardly used it a few times over 30 yrs. Somehow I prefer donne/ vati to prepare Idly or its either khotto or ramdan, again, I do have a smaller pan type flat Idly separator steamer, so this one just sits lazily on the top shelf of my kitchen cabinet.

** I just opened that pedavana/ idly steamer, on a hunch a few days back and Eureka!!! there was the packet intact sitting right on top of the stand within. I screamed, to no one in particular as my happiness knew no bounds and through the day I kept looking at those 8 beautiful silicone rose molds, relieved too that I had found it. Well, I did not waste any time and immediately soaked urad dal to prepare Idlies the following day. Isn’t it funny, I am sure some of you will call me silly, while many like minded ones will agree that however gracefully we age, the child within us lives on and these small joys indicate them, otherwise the whole episode sounds funny, except to those who have faced similar dilemma.

** This is not a recipe post, though I will share links to both Idly and dal below. I have just applied a little bit of oil from within the silicone molds, maybe not necessary, but I always feel that if molds are not greased well, then that which is baked/ steamed will not have smooth surface and not come out in one go intact. I found these easy to handle and clean, later on unlike steel ones, not sure of any health hazards if any, as I am fairly new to these, so do excuse in case of the same. Steaming hot Idlies dunked in sambar is always a joy to relish especially on weekends as it is tummy filling and will keep you going to attend that weekend workload. Definitely a children’s joy, so try these out at least for them.

** The link below includes the batter of normal "Idlies" prepared in almost all homes with urad dal and rice, though I have used rice rava. I have also shared a common link to all the Idly recipes in the blog, most of the batters can be prepared in these molds too, I will for sure try them and post as and when prepared here …

** For “Lauki Masoor Dal/ Bottle Gourd Red Lentil Dal” recipe, Please follow the link given below …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.