Friday, February 1, 2019

KhatHa MeetHa TeekHa Tomato~Ajwain (Carom) Leaves Chutney.


"KhatHa MeetHa TeekHa Tomato~ Ajwain (Vonvo/ Oam/ Carom) Leaves Chutney” … This is my own concoction of chutney, that I prepared using tomatoes and fresh ajwain leaves along with spices … This was for my Combo Meal ; No Onion~Garlic~Rice, served with Rulav Pitta Bhakri and Cardamom Flavored Apple ~Green Grapes Harshala (in coconut sweet milk/Naivedyam)" ... also tastes awesome when served with roti / paratha / dosa / bhakri etc. …Yumz … 

** Chutney is a side dish that is served with dosa, bhakri, Idly, roti etc. A little bit of spicy chutney tastes great when served with these dishes and enhances the taste buds. Chutney does not need any introduction as such, as almost all relish this in their own homes in different methods. There are thousands of combinations in which you can prepare it and each one has its own flavor and taste. For an innovative mind, as I have always said before too, the field of preparing dishes is a large one. For eg. I have prepared the above chutney with ripe tomatoes, while the same can be prepared with raw tomatoes too. The difference is minute, but definitely there and tastes different, same is the case when you add either bimbul (tree sorrel) or karmbala (star fruit), they all taste different and delicious in their own way. Here is a simple chutney that is tangy-spicy-sweet. I have added in fresh ajwain leaves from my own window garden  along with ginger, spices and coconut and it tastes awesome when served with bhakri. 

** Today being Ekadashi, the day that we Hindus worship Lord Vishnu and observe a fast without eating rice and rice products. Though I am not a firm believer of fasting, I too observe it many times during the year at certain festive occasions in my own way. I never keep a full day fast ie going off food for the whole day but my fast includes just one meal in the whole day which is usually at 2 pm. in the noon. I try and include vegetarian dishes that are strictly "No Onion-Garlic". During Ekadashi, rice and rice is avoided while during other fasts I do include them. I also see to it that the meal is a good tummy filling one that will keep me going till the next day morning. I have been observing it for decades now, but I must confess it was not very regular or lets us say strictly following the same. There were times when they went unnoticed by me too. This year, I intend to do it, at least attempt to do it in a more proper way, let us see, how far I go. Without running into more details sharing the recipe to this awesome chutney below, do try it out, serve it with any dish of your choice and enjoy. 


** Here is the simple recipe to preparation of "KhatHa MeetHa TeekHa Tomato~ Ajwain (Vonvo/ Oam/ Carom) Leaves Chutney” … My own style … 

** Ingredients :
Coconut : 1 cup freshly grated 
Ripe Tomatoes : 3 large sized 
Ajwain / Vonvo / Oam / Carom Leaves : 8-10 
Ginger / Adrak / Alle’ : 2 inch piece 
Tamarind / Imly / Chincham : one small marble sized ball. 
Green chilies / Hirvi mirchi / Tarni mirsanga : 5-6 
Kashmri Red chilly powder : 1 tsp 
Organic Jaggery / Goda Powder : ½ cup grated 
Salt to taste 

** For Tempering : 
Coconut Oil : 1 tsp 
Urad dal / Black gram dal : ¼ tsp 
Mustard Seeds / Rai / Sasam : ½ tsp 
Curry Leaves / Kadipatta / Karbevu : 8-10 

** Wash, wipe dry and chop into pieces the tomatoes, green chillies, ajwain leaves and adrak. Add them into a mixer grinder along with chilly powder, salt to taste, tamarind, grated jaggery and coconut and grind to a very fine paste. You can add water as much as required for grinding only, say approximately about 1 cup. Remove in a bowl and keep it ready aside. 

** For Tempering : Heat coconut oil in a small pan, when hot lower the heat and add in the urad dal, when the color changes slightly add in the mustard seed, when they splutter add in the curry leaves and fry a little bit and pour it over the chutney in the bowl and cover with a lid for the flavors to see in. 


** "KhatHa MeetHa TeekHa Tomato~ Ajwain (Vonvo/ Oam/ Carom) Leaves Chutney” is done and ready to be served with any dish of your choice.  I served this awesome chutney with Rulav Pitta Bhakri (Rava Bhakri) and Cardamom Flavored Apple ~Green Grapes Harshala (in coconut sweet milk/Naivedyam)" ... Simple-Delicious-Light meal, as it was a fasting day for us it being Ekadashi, and this was my one meal of the day. 

** Do try out this chutney and enjoy with your family and friends with any combination of your choice. You can try out this combo with rava bhakri too, for which recipe I am sharing the link at the bottom of this recipe. So also I am sharing the link of the dessert and you may choose to prepare this combo meal and enjoy yourself too. 

** Note : The chutney should be ground fine and the texture should be thick, you can check and add on water as required later on. Also see to it that you use clean organic jaggery powder as this is in powder form and gets mixed in easily. If not see to it that you grate the jaggery before adding in the machine for grinding, as sometimes the mixer get tripped if you try grinding larger piece of jaggery in the machine. 

** Note : You can use any oil for tempering that you prefer or normally use in your kitchen. In Konkani Saraswat Cuisine we use many a times, for some particular dishes coconut oil for seasoning and chutney is one such dish. Coconut oil imparts its own flavor and tastes that much more delicious when the same is used in tempering. 

** For the “Rava Bhakri” Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** For the “Chilled Apple~Green Grapes Harshala (in Sweet Coconut~ Jaggery Milk)" Recipe, Please follow the link given below … 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.