Thursday, January 31, 2019

Apple~ Green Grapes Harshala (in Coconut~ Jaggery Milk).


"Chilled Apple~Green Grapes Harshala (in Sweet Coconut~Jaggery Milk)" ... I always call this Konkani Saraswat's version of custard fruit salad … This is a very tasty dessert prepared mostly during fasting times with jaggery and coconut milk … Tastes awesome when served as it is or when topped with some thin poha / pova / avalakki / beaten rice … Yummilicious ..... 

** Harshala is actually coconut milk sweetened with jaggery and flavored with cardamom powder to which seasonal fruits are added. This dessert dish is prepared usually with muskmelon which in Konkani is know as chibbada and is available almost throughout the year but more so during summer months and starting of monsoon months. But we, present generation people have learned to make traditional dishes with adaption’s so that the same can be relished with addition of other ingredients and enjoyed throughout the year. I prepare this with many seasonal dishes and they all taste great. This dessert is usually served topped with some poha too during fasting times, which I guess is to fill the tummy. Today being Ekadashi a day that is devoted towards worshiping of Lord Vishnu, many Hindus do not eat rice dishes or non veg and also garlic-onions. I try my best to follow traditions though at times I fail if it has somehow skipped my notice. This year however I want to try my best to follow the same, so this was for my lunch along with tomato-ajwain leaves chutney and rava bhakri all which can be consumed for upwas. Well before you wonder how can one eat so much for fasting, let me clear my stand on the same. I don’t believe in not eating anything throughout the day as in my case it leads to lot of complications. So I keep it one meal a day ie something simple like the above at around 2 pm. and I am done for the day, I believe it also gives my stomach some rest at the same time will not make me dizzy. Let me see how long I will be able to do the same. I will be posting lots of fasting dishes that we Konkani Saraswats follow, if you desire, you can follow the same too. But never include your children in this pattern, they need to eat a complete meal and should be nourished well as they lead a life full of activities, however they can relish the dishes along with their own meal dishes. 

** Here is to the preparation of "Chilled Apple~ Green Grapes Harshala (in Sweet Coconut Milk)" A yummy dessert … My Style …. 

** Slice off as thinly as possible, the outside skin part of 2 large sized apple and slice them into one inch pieces after discarding the inner core part along with seeds. Also wash and wipe dry about 1 cup of green seedless grapes and either cut them horizontally into 2 or 3 pieces depending upon the size of grapes. Add both the fruit pieces into a wide bowl. 

** Grate about 150-200 gms of gud / jaggery / goda or melt in 3 cups of water and keep aside. You can cut into small pieces and grind them in a mixer grinder and sieve to remove impurities if any. Add this to the vessel into which the apple-grape pieces are kept. 

** Now add in 200 ml of coconut milk (I used readily available coconut milk) to the fruit jaggery mixture along with ¼ tsp of cardamom powder a pinch of saffron soaked in warm milk (Optional, I have not added it this time) and mix well. Check the thickness and add in more water only if necessary. Keep this in the fridge to get chilled. 


** "Chilled Apple~Green Grapes Harshala (in Sweet Coconut Milk)" is done and ready to be served. If you have prepared this for Naivedyam / Prasadam do offer the same to God and then serve you family and friends in bowl topped with some Poha / Povu / Beaten Rice. Again poha is optional, but we Konkani Saraswat’s relish this dish with some poha and it tastes awesome.

** I served it in a bowl as it is as a dessert along with tomato-ajwain leaves chutney which I served with rava bhakri for lunch. But yes, hubby included some poha into his bowl as he loves munching on the crunchy poha. Again, do not add the poha / beaten rice beforehand. You need to serve them both separately and let the person relishing the dessert add it on herself/himself. As you all know that beaten rice turns soft soon and then it is sort of not great for relishing.

** My Tip : Do try out this dessert and enjoy with your family and friends. In case you are time bound do not prepare the same and keep in fridge prior by hours, it turns sour. In case of such problems do not worry, you can still try it out if you are using store bought coconut milk like me. Cut the fruits and add in jaggery water, mix well and keep it in the fridge. Keep a tetra pack of coconut milk without opening it into the fridge too. Just before serving remove bot the fruits and coconut milk out, mix well and serve. Problem solved, Isn't it easy, no more excuses, go ahead and give it a try.  

** Note : Be careful with addition of water, as you can add it later on too, we do not want the harshala / prepared mixture to become too thin in texture as it does not taste good then. Also the same should not be left at room temperature for more than an hour or so, as coconut milk here is not heated coz. of which it will get spoilt / sour if not kept in the fridge. Also never keep it near gas or anywhere where the temperature is hot. 

** For preparing fresh coconut milk: In case you do not want to use readily available coconut milk you can also prepare the same fresh. Years back when such facilities were not available I used to prepare it by removing the fresh coconut milk from freshly grated coconut itself. Take about 2-3 cups of fresh grated coconut and soak in warm a cup of warm water for 15-20 minutes. Now put it into a mixer grinder and grind to a fine paste. Strain the mixture through a thin muslin cloth. This is the first thick coconut milk. Now grind the strained coconut residue again with about 1 cup of water and then strain it again. This is the second thin coconut milk. Both can be added to the above Harshala together. 

** You can check up on other "Harshala" recipes posted in the blog before by going through the link posted below. It includes one with muskmelon too, Just click on the link given below …. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.