Friday, November 30, 2018

Nachani (Finger Millet) Biscuit Rotti (Poori/Kachori).


"Nachani (Ragi/Finger Millet) Biscuit Rotti (Poori/Puri/Kachori) with Urad Dal Filling" ... Healthier twist on our own amchi biscuit rotti ... the inner filling is the same while for the outer cover I added on nachani powder ... A delicious snack that tastes that much more tastier during winter / monsoon and relished when the weather spells out chill in the air … Enjoy these Tasty ~ Healthier ~Crisp Poories when they are hot ... Yumz ......

** Biscuit Rotti as called in Konkani is similar to Kachori from the northern parts of India. Two days back I had posted Biscuit Rotti which I had prepared after many years coz. of which I have lost the touch of preparing the same. I now intend to prepare this delicious stuffed poori more often with different fillings so that I can not only relish them and share it here, but it will also keep me in practice of preparing the same. I will not run into much details about these stuffed poories, as I have already written a lot about it in my prior posts. I will be sharing the common link to the same at the bottom of this recipe so that you can move on to that space for more details. However, I would like to mention here that some of the inner filling of the biscuit rotti was in excess when I prepared it 2 days back, so I had stored it in freezer so that I could prepare it in a week or fortnight again, though personally I would not recommend the same. But sometimes you just do not like to waste food specially not that which you love and on which you have put in a lot of effort. 

** But in the last two days, my mind kept wandering back to biscuit rotti making and I could not help myself from thinking what other changes I could do about the outer cover. I have often prepared a lot of items using nachani ie finger millet flour which is one of my favorite one, so I just felt I should try out the same using it along with wheat flour for proper binding of the outer cover dough. Once an idea crops up in my mind I always cannot stop myself and also would not like do so as the chances of me forgetting the same are also more. So, here I am within a matter of just 2 days with the variation in biscuit rotti tried and prepared and oh! yes loved it very much. They all puffed up well and were crisp and yumz. Sharing the recipe for the same below, do try it out and enjoy with your family and friends. I assure you I will come up with many more combo of both inner filling and outer cover too, so till then enjoy this one and yes, please do keep an eye on my blog. It would be helpful if you could subscribe for the same so that you do not miss out on any of my posts. 

** Here is the method of preparing "Nachani (Ragi/Finger Millet) Biscuit Rotti (Poori/Puri/Kachori) with Urad Dal Filling" … My Style ....… 

** Important Note : I have repeated the inner filling part again, but it is the same as that which I had posted 2 days earlier for "Biscuit Rotti (Crisp Poori/Puri) with Urad Dal Stuffing" without making any changes. 


** For the Filling Mixture : Soak 1 cup Urad Dal (black gram dal) for 2 hrs. Drain off the water, rinse well and leave it in an colander shaking off all excess water and allowing the same to dry out as much as possible. Leave it on the colander for at least 30 minutes. The urad dal should be completely dry or else it will become mushy when grinding, so this step is very important. 

** Note : If you are in a hurry and for some reason can’t spare the time. Shake off as much water as possible from the dal, then put it on a towel and pat it dry as much as possible, to remove excess water and then proceed in making the stuffing mixture. 

** In a mixer grinder add the drained urad dal and grind to a grainy texture WITHOUT ADDING WATER. Open the lid and keep mixing in between to get a evenly ground grainy texture. The mixture should not turn to a paste, nor should it become mushy. Remove and keep this ready aside. 

** Heat 2 tblsp of oil in a thick bottomed kadai / pan, when hot add in 1 tsp of mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter add in 2-3 finely chopped green chillies, 1 tsp of hing / asafoetida powder (you can add less if the powder is too strong), 8-10 finely chopped curry leaves and fry for a minute. 

** Now add in 2-3 tblsp of freshly grated coconut and continue frying for 2-3 minutes, then add in 1 tsp of red chilly powder and 2 tblsp of besan (Bengal gram flour / chane peeta) and mix well. Finally add in urad dal ground to grainy texture, salt to taste and mix well. Continue frying for 4-5 minutes till the mixture turns a little bit dry. Keep this aside to completely cool down. 

** Note : Traditionally recipe did not call for frying of the urad dal after grinding, but was just seasoned and mixed well and used as stuffing. But this step ensures that the extra water / moisture if any is lost and the filling becomes that much more dry, also it ensures that it remains good for more time once the poori are done. 

** Binding of the Outer Covering : This time I made some slight changes while preparing the outer dough and have added on nachani flour / finger millet flour to it. 

** For the Dough : Add in 2 cups of wheat flour, 3/4 cup of nachani flour, 2 tblsp fine rava, 1 tsp chilly powder, pinch of hing powder, ¼ tsp of ajwain seeds (Vonvo), salt to taste, 1 tblsp of hot oil in a bowl and mix well until you get a grainy consistency. Then gradually add in water and make into stiff-smooth dough. Keep it covered aside and let it rest for 20 minutes. 

** Note : Do not add water in one go, just keep adding and binding, so that you do not add up more of the same. It is always advisable to add in some water approximately, knead and then keep adding little by little as much is necessary till you get a smooth-tight dough. You can put it in a tight covered box or cover it with a wet cloth and then cover the bowl with a lid, which is what I do. 


** Rolling of the Biscuit Rotti : Knead the dough once again smoothly and divide it into equal large lemon sized balls. Roll them out into thick medium sized poories, add a large spoonful of filling in the middle of each rolled out poori and fold in all the edges and form into a round shaped ball again, taking care to see that the filling has been covered well and there should be no gaps whatsoever. 

** Now you can roll the same in flour to evenly dust it all round and then roll it out again or you can brush some oil the same and roll it out into a poori. Last time I had dusted it with flour, but this time I avoided the same and brushed it with oil. Do not apply pressure as the filling should remain intact within and not come out from anywhere. Prepare rest of the poori’s in similar way and keep them ready. Do not roll out too many at a time or else they may go dry and then they will not puff up evenly. So try out rolling and deep frying in batches. 

** Heat plenty of oil in a thick bottomed kadai / pan for deep frying to smoking hot. Then lower the heat and wait for a few minutes, add in each poori at a time and deep fry in hot oil on medium flame pressing down the poori with a slotted ladle which helps it to puff up. Fry the poories on both sides till they turn golden brown. Remove and place on a absorbent paper towel for the excess oil to drain off. 

** Note : Remember to keep the heat level of the oil from medium to low and do not let the oil go too hot. To get crisp flaky biscuit rotti, the heat level should always be maintained to a constant medium heat. So keep lowering if the heat increases with time and then again increase to medium. This is the same method while frying all types of poories and is something you will learn as you consistently prepare the poories. 

** Continue rolling and and deep frying of the biscuit rotti until the required number of poories are done. You can store the inner filling in a air tight container in the fridge for further use if you have fried the same well. It will remain good for 24 hours. Though outer covering is something I would not recommend you do the same as dough always soften with time and it may not remain in the right consistency needed for the biscuit rotti. 

** Note : I have enclosed a step by step collage of this Biscuit Rotti preparation above. Do check out on the picture for a proper knowledge if you are novice to preparation of Biscuit rotti. You can also check the older link posted below, where in too there are more pictures of the procedure of the same. I hope they are useful, if any problem or still in confusion, please leave in a comment or you can mail me too, I will try my level best to get back to you as soon as possible. 

**" Nachani (Ragi/Finger Millet) Biscuit Rotti (Poori/Puri/Kachori) with Urad Dal Filling Biscuit Rotti (Crisp Poori/Puri) with Urad Dal Stuffing" is done and ready to be served. Serve these hot and relish the same as it is. These Biscuit rotti are spicy enough and they do not need any accompaniment like chutney etc. We Konkani Saraswats always serve it along with some Upma or seasoned Shevai / Beaten Rice (Poha) for breakfast or during functions/celebrations. I am sure every Indian is well versed with stuffed crisp poories, so I have not written much about its history etc. Just enjoy them hot with your family and friends. 

** I am enclosing below a common link to a few of the "Biscuit Rotti" added before, please do check throught the same as those recipes are also good and you can have a choice on preparation. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.