Friday, September 15, 2023

Chickoo- Khajoor- Kelyache Shikran (Sapota- Dates- Banana Dessert).


“Chickoo- Khajoor- Kelyache Shikran (Sapota- Dates- Banana Dessert)” … Kelyache Shikran is a simple- delicious- healthy- easy to prepare traditional dish, usually served with chapathi in most Maharashtrian homes … I prepared it with addition of chickoo and used khajoor as sweetener … it’s a satvik dish that can be relished on fasting days too … If you are wondering what to do with those extra ripe bananas that are somehow always lying around unused at home then try this combination, it tastes wonderful served with poori … Yummilicious …

** Kelyache Shikran is a common dish from Maharashtrian Cuisine prepared with minimum ingredients. All you need are ripe bananas, milk, sugar and a dash of cardamom for flavor. Shikran is the simplest and easiest dish that can be prepared in no time if you have guests come over unannounced. Though it is often served with roti/ chapathi, in my home we prefer to have it with poori, somehow it enhances the taste of this combination and I often serve it during meals during fasting/ upvas days.

** There is no cooking involved in preparation of this dish and is definitely kid friendly as children often hesitate to eat banana fruit as it is. However if prepared into milk shakes or dessert they eat it without a murmur. Though this is a great fasting dish, those who want to keep a watch on weight gain should be careful with this one as sadly it is loaded with high calories. Well, a little bit goes a long way, so I guess there are always limit to consumption when it comes to food, so enjoy but in limits.

** Surprisingly, I just realized that I had not blogged "Banana Shikran" which is often prepared at home as it's my hubby’s favorite dish and he can have it with chapathi daily if need be. I remember having clicked the pictures but somehow could not trace it in my pending files, I guess I must have unknowingly deleted it, I will do so soon. Here, the recipe is same except that I have added on chickoo and as both banana and chickoo are sweet enough I just added some khajoor/ dates syrup as sweetener.

** I have used dates syrup which is easily available in stores and I always have it in stock as in my home we love to add it as sweetener to various dishes. Also, it tastes wonderful served with panpolo/ neer dosa or any other dosa in place of honey for that added sweet tinge. The next time you have some extra bananas at home, please do not worry, its common thing that happens in almost all homes, remember there are plenty of ways to consume them without letting them rot and this is just one of them.

** Here is my simple recipe for “Chickoo- Khajoor- Kelyache Shikran (Sapota- Dates- Banana Dessert)” … my style …

** Ingredients :
Ripe Bananas/ Pikkile Kele : 3-4
Ripe Sapota/ Chickoo : 3-4
Dates/ Khajoor/ Khajur Syrup : 2- 3 tsp
Milk/ Doodh : 1.5 cups (approx)
Cardamom/ Ellaichi/ Yella Powder : large pinch

** Peel off the outer skin of bananas and mash them with a fork or roughly chop them and add into a blender. I used normal medium sized variety easily available in Mumbai, you can use any, just adjust the amount accordingly.

** Wash the chickoo well, wipe dry with a towel and then slice off the stem edge portion. Now cut them into two vertically and discard the inner white pith and seeds. Cut them into pieces retaining the outer skin and add into blender.

** Note : The outer skin of chickoo fruit has plenty of nutrients, so whenever we eat them or blend it I usually do so with skin as its edible and turns out smooth in consistency too. However, you can remove the skin if desired.

** Now add dates/ khajoor syrup and blend all of the ingredients together adding just ½ to 1 cup of milk. When smooth in paste add milk little by little and continue blending until you get a very smooth and thick texture shikran.

** Note : I used skimmed cow’s milk that is boiled and left to chill overnight in fridge, you can use full fat if desired too. Again, do not add all of the milk in one go lest the shikran turns thin in texture, adjust addition according to desired thickness.

** Note : Dates/ Khajoor syrup is easily available in stores and I often use the same as it is always in stock at home. However, if not available you can soak the dates in lukewarm water for 30 minutes, grind, sieve it and use the same too.

** Note : Dates are a healthier choice to be added on as sweetener, however if you prefer otherwise you can always use honey, sugar, jaggery powder or any other of your choice. The need here is to add some sweetener to the dish.

** Remove shikran into a bowl and add ellachi/ cardamom powder and mix well. Lastly add some sliced banana and chickoo pieces and mix well, just before serving, it adds on some munching taste to shikran when eating with roti.

** Note : You can garnish with some dry fruits like almond slivers, pistachio cut to thin slices, raisins, saffron strands, roasted cashew nut pieces, pumpkin seeds or roasted melon seeds if desired too. I have not as I prefer to keep it simple.

** “Chickoo- Khajoor- Kelyache Shikran (Sapota- Dates- Banana Dessert)” is done and ready to be served. Always serve Shikran immediately once it is prepared as it is a fruit based dish that is not cooked and may tend to ferment if left to rest. Tastes best served with either roti/ chapathi/ parathas or poori, it tastes equally good with all of them. In my home I prefer to serve it with any type of poori, though nachani (finger millet) poori is our favorite combo with shikran as well as shrikhand, it tastes great, nachani is millet with good source of calcium and above all, it is loved by almost all.

** Maharashtrian Cuisine has lovely tasty recipes and over the years I have learnt many recipes from my old and new neighbors which I am eager to share here. It may differ from traditional ones as my knowledge is limited to friends, books and net sources. However, I do believe that, be it any cuisine they all differ in taste from home to home each one following their own guarded recipes. Again, I always love giving small twists by adding a few extra ingredients that we prefer, so in all its just good food that counts and you must try it out and enjoy with your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.