Monday, May 16, 2022

Matti Gulla- Piyava Randai (Green Brinjal- Onion Curry).


“Matti Gulla- Piyava Randai (Green Brinjal- Onion Curry)” … here is a very simple side dish that tastes awesome served with roti/ chapathi/ paratha … this one is prepared with matti gulla, a famous variety of brinjal from Mangalore (precisely Udupi), but can be prepared with any brinjal ... Yummilicious ….

** There are times when laziness creeps in and these days somehow these days are higher in numbers. There is so much to be done, yet the body and mind both resist wanting to do anything and just want to stay in rest mode, but then I am finally enjoying my free time. Well, I have stopped working against deadlines or racing against time and do so at my own space now, I do realize this slows down my postings but then I don’t want to miss out on catching up on my reading and other commitments.

** However, cooking has always been my passion and it still holds a special place in my heart and the joy is doubled when I try out delicious recipes. This one definitely is one that is sure to be loved by young and old alike, so do give it a try and enjoy with your family and friends. I have used matti gulla, a type of green brinjal that is famous and available in southern parts of India more so in and around Mangalore my hometown as it’s produce is in Udupi, However you can use any brinjal available in your vicinity.

** Here is my own simple recipe for “Matti Gulla- Piyava Randai (Green Brinjal- Onion Curry)” ... to be served with roti/ chapathi ...


** Wash, wipe dry and cut green brinjal (matti gulla/ vangi) into one inch square cubes and keep it aside ready. I have used 2 medium sized brinjal, say about 4-5 cups of cut pieces, you can use your judgment and do so to.

** Peel outer skin of two medium sized onions (piyavu/ kanda) and cut them into square cubes the same size as that of the brinjals and keep them also ready aside. I have actually used same quantity of both brinjal and onions.

** Heat 2 tsp of oil (tel/ tela) in a thick bottomed kadai, when hot add in a tsp of mustard seeds (rai/ sasam) and when it splutters add in a few curry leaves (kadipatta/ karevu). Now add in cubed onions and fry till it turns translucent.

** Add salt (namak/ meeta) to taste, 2 tblsp of malvani masala powder or any other curry masala powder, 1 tsp of Kashmiri chilly powder (mirsangi pitti), large pinch of haldi (turmeric) powder and fry on low heat for 2-3 mins.

** Add in ¼ tsp of tamarind (chinchama/ imly) paste, brinjal cubes along with ¼ cup of water and mix well. Cover and cook on medium to low heat stirring often to avoid the bhaji getting stuck to the kadai or being burnt.

** Keep sprinkling some water in between if necessary only while the brinjal cooks as this is a dry side dish that will not taste good if thinned out. Cook covered till the brinjal is just about cooked, avoiding overcooking the same.

** “Matti Gulla- Piyava Randai (Green Brinjal- Onion Curry)” is done and ready to be served. Tastes best served hot as a side dish along with roti/ chapati or parathas. Do try this dish and enjoy with family and friends, they are sure to love it.

** Once again I would like to mention here that matti gulla the picture of which I have shared is available only in and around Udupi and Mangalore and some southern places though in Mumbai we do get them at Mangalore stores when in season. Having said that you can use any green variety of brinjal available in your vicinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.