Monday, May 16, 2022

Coconut Chutney with Dry Red- Fresh Green Chilly and Hing (Asafoetida).


“Coconut Chutney with Dry Red- Fresh Green Chilly and Hing (Asafoetida)” … simple and tasty coconut based hing flavored chutney that is served almost in every GSB Konkani Saraswat home for breakfast along with polo/ dosa, idly, khotto, oondi, appo etc. … Yummilicious …

** What can I write more about chutney that I have not already written, if you browse through the list of chutney shared in my Blog you will definitely understand the important role it plays in our cuisine. This one is a simple chutney my amma used to prepare with addition of both dried red chillies and fresh green chillies. I had almost forgotten about it as most of the time I prepare using green chillies and it just happened so that I fell short of it and that’s when I remembered Amma’s delicious chutney.

** I was surprised to note that I had not blogged it in all these 7 years though I had prepared them a few times. Well, not a good click but definitely a tasty chutney that goes very well with any dosa. You can add in more red chillies if desired too or use only red chillies and leave out green ones, I have however used both this time, though I do used only red ones at times. Again, hing flavored chutneys are our favorite, however you can instead add ginger too, just try it out, tastes awesome.

** Here is my amma’s simple recipe for “Coconut Chutney with Dry Red- Fresh Green Chilly and Hing (Asafoetida)” …

** In a mixer grinder add 2 cups of freshly grated coconut (soyi/ nariyal) along with 1-2 dry red chilly (you can use byadgi/ kumte mirsanga or any other), 2-3 fresh green chillies (tarni mirsanga/ hari mirchi), small pinch of tamarind (imly/ chinchama) and grind to a smooth paste with little bit of water.

** Note : Use only white part of the coconut and just a pinch of tamarind for best taste. You can roast the red chilly as done by some, I have not. Again, increase or decrease the number of chillies depending upon individual taste.

** Remove the ground chutney into a vessel and add potable water to bring the chutney to desired consistency taking care to see that the chutney does not turn out too thin. Add salt (namak/ meeta) to taste and mix well.

** For Tempering/ Seasoning/ Pannaka : Heat 1 tsp coconut oil (nariyal tel/ narlel tela), when hot, lower the heat and add ½ to 1 tsp of mustard seeds (sasam/ rai), when they begin to splutter add in 8-10 fresh curry leaves (karbevu/ kadipatta) and ¼ tsp of hing (asafoetida) powder, fry for a few seconds and then pour it over chutney, cover and keep it aside for few minutes for flavors to infuse.

** “Coconut Chutney with Dry Red- Fresh Green Chilly and Hing (Asafoetida)” is done and ready to be served. This type of chutney tastes best served with polo/ dosa, idly, khotto, oondi, appo etc., which is a practice followed in almost all GSB Konkani Saraswat home for breakfast or tiffin or during a snack time.

** There are many more tasty “Chutney” recipes in the blog to which I am sharing a common link below, do browse through if need be ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.