Thursday, June 10, 2021

Jambul Raita (Black Plum Curd Salad).


“Jambul Raita (Black Plum Curd Salad)” … the final handful of jambul I still had were finally added to onion- gajjar raita today for a change from routine one and I loved that light purple tinge of colour it gave to the dish … served it with spicy dried prawns biryani and they looked beautiful in each others company and tasted great too … Yummilicious …

** Raitas as you all know are raw veggie salad with inclusion of curds to which you may or may not add on seasoning. There is nothing much to be written about raitas that I have not included in my previous posts except that, here for the first time I prepared them with addition of Jambul/ Black Plums that are in season now, though coming to an end. 

** I had these huge jambul which I had purchased in excess and a handful of them were still there lying in the fridge. I wanted to finish them off and since I had prepared spicy dried prawns biryani for lunch to which I always prepared raita to be served, I just added them on and trust me it was fantastic and the color was simply mesmerizing.

** Here is the simple recipe for “Jambul Raita (Black Plum Curd Salad)” … my style …

** You can use any salad veggies you desire, I have used only onions, carrot and black plums here along with curds.

** Wash and wipe dray handful of Jambhul/ Black Plums (about 10-12 large sized) and cut the edible portion into pieces. Retain half of them to be added on as it is. Add half of the cut pieces into a mixer grinder and grind to semi fine textured puree.

** In a bowl add in one large sized onion (piyavu/ kanda) finely chopped along with one large sized carrot (gajjar) grated. Now add in the jambhul puree and the cut pieces. Add 3-4 finely chopped green chillies and mix all together roughly and keep it aside.

** Beat one cup of thick curds (dahi) to a smooth texture and add to the mixed veggies in the bowl along with salt (namak/ meeta) to taste. Add a handful of cleaned, washed and finely chopped coriander leaves (kothambari pallo/ dhania) and mix well.

** Note : You can add in a pinch of sugar to curds while beating, as some like their raitas to have a spicier and sweeter tinge while serving. I have added, but that's optional, however add in a few extra green chillies to level the taste of the raita in case you add.

** For Tempering/ Seasoning/ Pannaka : Heat 1 tsp coconut oil (nariyal tel), when hot add in ¼ tsp of mustard seeds (sasam/ rai), when they splutter add 5-6 curry leaves (kadipatta/ karbevu), pinch of hing powder (asafoetida), fry for a second and pour it over raita.

** “Jambul Raita (Black Plum Curd Salad)” is done and ready to served along with any dish of your choice. My personal choice is with spicy biryani, though you may serve it as side dish along with any other dishes too, but spicier dishes are better.

** Sharing a common link to all the “Salad” recipes in the blog, you may browse through the same in liesure and try them out too …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.