Tuesday, October 9, 2018

My Thali 75.


My Thali 75…. This is a thali prepared with dishes that are usually prepared on the occasion of ShraddHa during pitru paksha as a mark of respect to departed souls …. 

** Pitrapaksha / Pitru deevas / Mahalaya Masa / Mahlu .. is that period of the year which falls in Krishna paksha of Bhadrapada month, ie the second half of the fortnight of that month that is from poornima to amavasya. Hindus across India are observe the 15 day ShradHa or Pitru Paksha by paying homage to their ancestors by offering food particularly on that tithi day on which they attained sadgathi (passed away). Many a people give dana ie donations during this period and the topmost of all of it is annadana ie feeding of rice to the poor. Mahalaya Amavasya the last day that ends the period of pitru paksha ie Amavasya is called Mahlu amongst Konkani Saraswats. There are many rituals followed by the family and a purohit / bhatji is called in perform the same. Fasting is observed by the family and tarpan that is water or milk is left through hands of the person who has fasted as an offering in remembrance of all the departed souls. Shraddha is performed either by the eldest or the youngest son as it is almost compulsory do so as an respect towards his that parent who is no more. 

** I am not going to write any of the rituals performed in detail here as I have absolutely no correct knowledge of the same and would not like to give any false or wrong information to any of my readers. I have made this post only as a mark of tribute to those departed souls by sharing in the dishes prepared on this particular occasion. There are many do’s and don’ts of which some are really old fashioned and are actually not followed, so to each one their own way of practice. Here I would like to once again mention that our ancestors must have started such practices to keep us in touch with traditions and not forget our family tree. Roots that you belong to should always be acknowledged and remembered come what may. It is also a practice to remember those who are no more in this world by offering something in their name, feeding some poor or giving donations for upliftment of a greater cause, which I firmly believe in as the best way to be done. With changing times many follow this way of method too wherein they go ahead and do donations at orphanages in the name of their parents, feed those who are really in need of the same. 

** My Father and my In-Laws have left for their heavenly abode many years back. Many of my uncles and aunts from both my fathers and mothers side are also no more having left for their heavenly abode and I have lovely memories that I cherish of each of them to date. I make it a point to offer a tribute to all the departed ancestors of my family by preparing food and offering it to them during the period of Mahalaya Masa as these 15 days are dedicated to them. This year marks the 30th year of death anniversary of my MIL, 20th death anniversary of my Father and 11th of my FIL. For some years now, I have changed my ways and prepare each dish through out the 15 days as it was not feasible for me to cook so many dishes in one go in one day keeping in thoughts my health issues. This year somehow, I felt upto it and decided to do so on one day for all of them and tried my best in including those dishes that were favorite of each one of them. I am sure I have still fallen short in my attempt as this was all I could manage. I really wonder how my dear Mother used to cook for so many people on my grand parents death anniversaries. Though we kids, used to chip in our little bit of help, by and large she managed the show herself. 

** Uffff …. It really had been some time since I slogged out so much and I was really dead tired by the time I finished preparing it all, as I had to do it all alone with no help except from hubby who prepared the khotto out of jackfruit leaves for me. But, yes since the quantity was less, I managed it well, anyways all that ends well is done well. Coming to the dishes, there are certain traditional dishes that are a must to be prepared as offering while the others are slightly variable. I have been preparing them for close to 30 years, but, I have often changed the pattern, by preparing different dishes after all I am sure the departed souls also would like to taste once again all the delicacies they left behind instead of the same old dishes each time. I know many of you may find my statement funny, but that is something I believe in. In fact during my FIL's funeral lunch, we served Ice Cream at the end of the lunch, which was unheard of for many, but since he loved it, we thought why not serve the same. In my home we strongly believe in keeping things simple and giving respect in the right way by doing something which we feel in right and know it will be loved by the parents too, after all we have learned that much about them during our growing years. 

** I am sharing here some of the names of the dishes, which to the best of my knowledge are prepared during this offering lunch. Again, I would like to say that traditions and customs are followed in different ways in different parts of the society and what I write may not even coincide with what you have witnessed. So rest assured and follow your heart, anything and everything that is offered with love and respect to the departed souls will be happily received by them for sure. However, to name a few of dishes that are prepared on this occasion are Ghari, Umbari, different types of podi / fries, Sprouted Mooga Gashi, Rice, Moong dal Varna, Patrado, Sukke, Kananga godshe, Govan payasam, Khotto, ekpani chutney, nonche, alsande upkari, panna taaka, Koota etc. there are many more variations, but I have included that which I remember. During Joint family days, this type was meal would be consumed and over, as the tradition calls, but nowadays with nuclear family it is not so. Yes, you read it right, the son who performed the rites, was not supposed to eat the full meal at night, but could eat only the khotto or so. Again, the food was not supposed to be eaten the next day. 


** "My Todays' Thali ... Pitrapaksha (Mahalaya Masal) Lunch with Due Respect to all Departed Souls" ... consists of the following dishes … and given below them are the links to those recipes posted as separate post elsewhere ... Please do check through that link for the recipe of that particular dish of which dish you wish to prepare ...... 
1. Matta (Spiced Masala Buttermilk), 
2. Bitter Gourd Fry (Karate Podi), 
3. Yam Fry (Surna Kachra), 
4. Spine Gourd Fry (Pagila Podi), 
5. Coriander Leaves~Coconut Chuntey (Dhania~Nariyal Chutney), 
6. Sweet Corn Kernels~French Bean Bhaji (Jolu~Beans Upkari), 
7. Raw Banana Bhaji (Harve Kele Upkari), 
8. Varna (Spiced Moong Dal), 
9. Rice (SheetHa), 
10. Sprouted Moong~Bamboo Shoots~Hogplum Curry (Kirlailele Moogu~ Keerlu~Ambado ghalnu Gashi), 
11. Moong Dal Payasam (Mooga Dali Godshe’), 
12~13. Ghari~Umbari, 
14. Urad Dal~Rice Khotto (Idly) 

1.. “Matta (Spiced Masala Buttermilk)” … A delicious buttermilk served after lunch during festive season … famous in the state of Maharashtra … 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ….. 

2. Karate Podi / Crispy Karela (Bitter Gourd) fry ... Delicious deep fried bitter gourds ... 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ... 
** You can also check up on the Microwave method of karela chips here … 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ….. 

3. “Yam Fry (Surna Podi / Kachra-Cubed) … Delicious deep fried suran cubes … 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ........... 

4. “Pagila Podi / Spine Gourd (Teasel Gourd) Tava Fries” … A very simple but delicious monsoon delicacy fries that tastes great when served as a side dish ... 
** Here is the link to the Recipe …. 

5. “Spicy Coriander Leaves~Curry Leaves~Coconut Chutney” ... An Awesome chutney full of flavor with added goodness off curry leaves .... 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ..... 

6. “Sweet Corn Kernels ~French Beans Bhaji (Jolu~Beans Upkari)” … Simple~healthy stir fry side dish that tastes awesome when served with Dalitoy (Spiced Tuvar Dal) and SheetHa (Rice) or even with roti / chapatti / poori / parathas … Yummy Yumz … 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ..... 

7. “Raw Banana Upkari / Bhaji” … A nutritious simple bhaji that goes well as side dish ..... 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ........... 

8. "Moong Dal Varna ~ 2" ... A spicy moong dal prepared with spices and served during sharaddha food that is prepared and served as a respect towards departed souls .... 
** Here is the link to the Recipe …. 
** You can also check up on the link below for “Moong Dal Varna~1. Version and prepare anyone of the two ….. 

9. “Cooking Rice Starch Free / Vanu ghalnu SheetHa” … Rice cooked and the water is drained off to remove excess starch. The rice remains well cooked without sticking to each other … Do try this formula / method of cooking as it is very healthy. 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ..... 

10. “Mooga Gashi With Keerlu ani Bimbul / Sprouted Whole Green Gram Curry With Bamboo Shoots and Bimbli” … A traditional non spicy Konkani Saraswat Curry that needs no intro, almost everybody loves this and is done on several occasions .... 
** This is similar recipe but for the fact that bimbul is added here where as this time I have added on Hogplums/ambado … that is the only difference, otherwise the recipe remains same … 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ...... 

11. “Moogadali godshe / Moong Dal Payasam” ... A delicious payasam / godshe prepared using moong dal and coconut milk for Naivedyam … 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ........ 

12~13. “Ghari~Umbari” … Traditional fritters (deep fries) prepared during ShradHa (Death Anniversary) meals ... these are small fritters prepared both bland and sweet and is a must on the meal offering list that is served as an respect to the departed soul … 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ….. 

14. “Khotto (Idli batter steamed in jackfruit leaves baskets) with Veg. Sambar and Raw Mango Garlic Chutney” …. Delicious south Indian dish served best with sambar …. 
** Here is the link to the Recipe ............ 

** You can use the search option for "Thali" where you will get many more combination of thali’s. Do try out various types of mix and match dishes to relish with your family and friends. Also remember to me a feedback if possible. 
** You can also click on the link below for checking the same. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.