Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Rice Porridge / Pejja / Congee / Kanji.


“Rice Porridge / Pejja / Konjee / Kanji / Gangi / Congee” … are some of the Indian names for rice cooked to soft consistency (gruel) and served hot when either one is not feeling too well or wants to go a bit light on tummy or yes if its raining heavily and you want to have something hot to sleep tight … Served this with lemon pickle and banana chips (store bought) …I love this combo for dinner time ... Yummy Yumz … 


My family simply loves to have steaming hot rice porridge for dinner, with a dash of salt and a teaspoon of fresh homemade ghee. I was surprised when I read a mail asking me to introduce different types of rice and other porridge's. Though I had posted it, I had done so as a full thali and never bothered to explain. Do excuse the lapse. It actually never struck to me that I could add this also into the blog. Well, I am thankful to the person who mailed me not only for acknowledging my work but advising me on this simple meal. I do prepare 2-3 types of pejja, porridge at home and now that I am asked to will give my brain extra work to think of new ways. You can prepare porridge out of any raw rice. But Red Ukda rice and plain Surti Kollam or kollam rice gives best result. I would not recommend basmati rice as it has less starch content in it. For good rice porridge, you need raw rice that is not too polished and the starch content is retained. 

Though rice porridge is often considered a diet of patients, that is to say it is often served to people who are really not feeling well, I differ from this opinion here. In southern parts of India in most homes it is relished during dinner time and as a mid morning break for children during holidays. I remember my childhood when my Mom used to give us a bowlful of pejja / rice porridge during our vacation holidays. Sometimes if we were to go to marriages or any functions within family, where Mom knew the lunch would be served late, she would always feed us kids with porridge before we left home so that we would not feel hungry. Especially during car festival / teru days when the lunch in temple was almost at 4 O’Clock in the evening. Those were really lovely days, that will never come back.

Our childhood was completely different from that of the children of the present generation. Changes / Progress are bound to happen, but somehow those have enjoyed those days like me will completely agree when I say that I really feel sorry for the children of present generation. All those outdoor games, family get together, loads of food, the fun with cousins and much more all are not at all present now. It’s all the time studies and classes or gyms and resorts. Sigh, how I wish we could turn the clock back. Well, I am deviating from the main dish, so going back to peja, will give the recipe, nothing elaborate, the first one I am going to post on is simple one while many more a little bit of mix and match to follow soon.


** Here is the simple Method of preparing Rice Porridge …..

** In a large vessel add about 6 cups of water and bring to boil. 

** Wash one cup of Surti Kollam rice or any other normal raw rice, which has larger content of starch in it with plenty of water. 

** Now add the rice to the boiling water and mix well. The rice should not stick to the bottom of the vessel, so mix well and bring to a complete boiling point.

** Once the rice comes to a boiling point, lower the heat to medium and cook till the rice is cooked to very soft consistency and the water level has reached almost to half.

** Keep stirring in between to avoid the rice being stuck to the bottom or getting burnt. If you find water getting evaporated fast, lower the heat a little bit and further cook. The rice will get cooked to a thick mushy consistency and turn milky white. Now it is done.

** “Rice Porridge / Pejja / Konjee / Gangi” is done and ready to be served. Serve immediately steaming hot with a dash of salt and a teaspoon of homemade ghee. You can serve this with lime pickle / kanchi or any other pickle, some fryums, kismuri, chips, wafers, podi, fish fry, pappads, vodi, happalu or just as it is with pickle.

** Note : Please DO NOT hesitate to add ghee, it is good for health. Latest health benefit analysis worldwide show that ghee is really good for health in limited intakes. This dish is very good for health so do not hesitate to introduce this into your diet at times.

** You can check up on the following link for combo lunch of peja with other dishes …

** For the Lemon pickle recipe, please follow the given link below ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.