Thursday, August 25, 2022

Malabar Spinach (Vali/ Basale)- Paneer Bhaji (Upkari).


“Malabar Spinach (Vali/ Basale)- Paneer Bhaji (Upkari)” … a simple- healthy- nutritious side dish that can be served with roti/ paratha/ phulkas/ chapathi etc. or even as a filling for sandwiches … not a very good click as I was in a hurry … nevertheless definitely a tasty bhaji/ filling … Yummilicious …

** It is always a delight to relish simple paneer dishes and palak is that which is usually added in combination to make a delicious side dish. I had some vali/ malabar spinach in excess after preparing ambat a delicous konkani curry, so decided to add on the same. Vali is available in huge bunches and it always is too much for consumption in one go for a small family, but then there is no choice when you love the same. 

** I always make it a point to sort the leaves and stems to prepare at least 2-3 dishes adding either only leaves or stems or mix and match them etc. You will find them all in this Blog if need be, here I have used only leaves along with paneer with some masala powder and I must say it was great to be served with some phulkas/ roti. Always make it a point to make best use of  veggies without wastage is my mantra.

** Here is my simple method of preparing “Malabar Spinach (Vali/ Basale)- Paneer Bhaji (Upkari)” … my style …

** Pick and wash vali/ malabar spinach leaves, chop them finely and put in an colander for excess water to drain off. Keep this ready aside. I have used about 3-4 cups of finely chopped fresh leaves only here. Do not add in excess.

** Cut about 150-200 gms of fresh paneer into ½ inch sized cubes. Now soak it in some water say about 2-3 inches above the level of the pieces for 10 minutes. Drain off the water and keep the cubes ready to be used aside.

** Note : I am not sure how others use the paneer bought from stores, however I follow the above procedure and if I need to use them the next day I put it in a stainless steel box with water and store, that way it remain good for 48 hours.

** Heat 2 tblsp of oil (tel/ tela) in a pan and add ½ tsp of cumin seeds (jeera), ½ tsp black gram (urad) dal, ¼ tsp of fenugreek (methi) seeds, 8-10 fresh curry leaves (kadipatta) and fry for a few seconds till urad dal changes slightly in color.

** Lower the heat and add ¼ tsp of haldi (turmeric) powder, 1 tblsp of malvani masala powder (or any other spicy curry masala powder) fry for 1-2 seconds. Add in the prepared and kept vali pieces, mix well, cover and cook on low heat till 50% done.

** Note : I have added malvani masala powder easily available in stores, you can add any curry powders like chole masala, pav bhaji masala, curry powder, they all taste great, just add in that much how much spicy you want your dish to be.

** Add salt (namak/ meeta) to taste, mix well, cover and cook till 80% done. Finally add in the prepared and kept paneer cubes, mix well and cook on high heat, tossing well till there is no trace of any water left and the side dish is done.

** “Malabar Spinach (Vali/ Basale)- Paneer Bhaji (Upkari)” is done and ready to be served as a side dish with phulkas/ roti. This is a simple- healthy- nutritious upkari, one of the best way to consume paneer and vali leaves when in excess. You can replace vali with palak if desired too, sure to taste great. 

** I had about 3-4 tblsp of bhaji remaining, which I sandwiched between two slices of bread along with some tomato ketchup and prepared grilled sandwich and it was excellent in taste. I was not prepared for the outcome, so did not click a picture, maybe the next time I will prepare some in excess and have them as sandwich filling for breakfast next day. I am sure children will love that, so you can prepare that way too and enjoy the yummy sandwiches.

** You can also use homemade “Paneer” if desired, though here I have used store bought ones. It is always best to use homemade products compared to stores as we are never sure of contents. However, in Mumbai we get fresh paneer from reliable sources and it becomes that much more easier. I am sharing a link below to method of paneer preparation, you may browse through if you need be ….

** I am also sharing a common link below to all "Paneer" dishes in the Blog. You can browse through for more choice in dishes and try them out ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.