Monday, February 5, 2018

Khajoor (Dates) Dry Fruits Burfi.


“Khajoor (Dates) Dry Fruits Burfi” … A quick ~ easy ~ healthy ~ sugar free burfi that is not only delicious but can be prepared in a jiffy … I am posting a new dish after a long break … I prepared these as Naivedyam … Sharing with all my friends … Stay Blessed … 


** Khajoor / Dates Dry Fruits Burfi is a delicious burfi, available throughout India at almost every sweet shop. But then they will cost you a bomb if you try buying them as dry fruits are costly and the shop owner is sure to cash on it. These are very easy to prepare and if you love them you need not buy them at all. You can easily prepare them at home without difficultly any time you need them. These are very good for growing up children, teenagers who are otherwise always on diet, working people who are always on rush to office and lack time to sit and eat, so also the older generation who need that protiens and minerals badly too. So this is a sort of burfi that is one for all. 

** After taking a break of an month for my Eye Surgery, that cropped up without warning, I wanted to start blogging with a sweet dish after offering as Naivedyam to God. I am thankful to God for always listening to my humble prayers and taking care of me and my family in all tough and good times. As I was banned from entering the kitchen for a month as going near heat is not allowed, I was sick of sitting doing nothing but yawning. Well I did cheat a little bit and dis some easy cooking. But, I used this time to jot down those dishes that could be prepared as soon as I could without much strain or going near heat.  Khajoor / Dates Dry Fruits Burfi was long due to be prepared as posted. So I thought why not start with this easy to do burfi.  My good old Microwave came to my rescue and I did all roasted part in it. I have always loved this technology and been using it for over 22 yrs now and it wont be wrong if I say I find life difficult without my useful machines in the kitchen. 

** I have been relishing this awesome burfi for over 2 decades now. The first time I saw it in a sweets shop, I was reluctant to buy them as they were quite costly. I walked away, but the desire to taste it kept ringing in my mind. I was there bang on next day at the sweets shop to buy them, I purchased a little bit and came home happily, but to my horror, it did not satisfy me as the pieces were few and people were more. But after that I frequently bought these as the were not only delicious but were sugar free and contained only dry fruits. Dry fruits not only give a lovely crunchy taste but also are loaded with protiens and miners. 

** There are many mix and match ways of preparing the same but largely the basic ingredient is khajoor / dates. Dates give the burfi the correct binding and keep them intact, so does anjeer / dried figs and raisins / dried grapes. These bufi’s can be given the desired shape like a roll or heart or laddoo (balls). These are easy to prepare and all you need is dry fruits that should be coarsely ground of finely chopped. I coarsely ground them in my food processor. If you have fresh dry fruits that are not softened, there is no need to roast them too. I just microwaved the nuts for 2 minutes and they were evenly roasted. Do not over roast the dry fruits, they will turn bitter. 

** Here is my Recipe for the Khajoor Dry Fruits Burfi I prepared ….. 

** Roasting the Nuts : I roasted separately 100 gms each of pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashew nuts, walnuts and pista. Then I put them in mixer grinder and coarsely powdered them. 

** Note : You can add on any other roasted nuts along with these, available in your country / vicinity too. The more dry fruit variation, the more health benefits. 

** Roast 1-2 tblsp of Cus Cus / Khus Khus / Poppy Seeds separately and keep it ready aside. 

** Preparing the Khajoor / Dates : I used about 300 gms of khajoor / dates. 

** The Khajoor / dates I had were not seedless, so if your are using dates that have seeds within, see to it that you first remove all seeds from the dates and then cut them into small pieces. You can also grind them in mixer grinder using pulse method for a minute. 

** Note : The Khajoor / dates I used were of good dark soft imported quality. These dates are very soft and need not be softened again. 

** But if you are using the Indian thicker / firmer quality dates, then cut them into bits and run them in microwave for a minute or two till they soften a bit. 

** If using gas stove method add a teaspoon of ghee, let it melt and then add the dates cut into pieces and saute’ for 2-3 minute, till they soften and then coarsely grind them in machine. 

** Once you have soften the khajoor and mashed them coarsely they will become sticky add in the coarsely powdered dry fruits. Do not add all the roasted and powdered in one go add in about 2 cups only first. 

** Now add in half of the roasted cus cus, ½ tsp of cardamom powder and one tablespoon of fresh melted homemade ghee to the mixture. Combine all the ingredients well. Check the consistency and add the coarsely powdered nuts as you knead the burfi. 

** The burfi will come into a lovely round ball consistency. You may now give it desired shape. You can either roll it into a log or make balls or pat it on a greased plate to make burfi the way I did. 

** Grease a plate and pat the prepared dry fruit dough evenly. You may apply a little bit of melted ghee to your palms to make it easier. The mixture should be in a single flat layer of equal thickness. Run your greased palm evenly on the surface. 

** Now sprinkle the remaining roasted cus cus evenly on top of the burfi and pat it to stick on the surface of the same. Cover with a cling film or a lid and put it in the fridge for 2-3 hours. 

** Remove from the fridge and with the help of a sharp knife, give equal cuts to the burfi. Cut them into 1.5 inch squares or any other cuts of your liking. Put the cuts in an air tight container and store it in the fridge always. 


** “Khajoor (Dates) Dry Fruits Burfi” is done and ready to be served as Naivedyam / Prasadam to God. I prepared these as Naivedyam, you may do so to for a change from the routine offerings to God. I am sure Lord will be pleased too with variations. You can do so on an occasion that your want to rejoice with your family on. Enjoy this burfi with your family and friends. 

** Note : You can prepare these a few days before any function you want to serve them for. You can also roast the nuts in bulk in your own variation and coarsely powder them and store in the fridge. I prepare in bulk so that you can just prepare them by adding on the khajoor later on. It’s easier that way. So also can the dry fruit powder be used for other dishes. 

** An earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.