Monday, March 2, 2015

Harve Kele Koddel/ Raw Banana Masala Curry seasoned with garlic.


“Harve Kele Koddel / Raw Banana Masala Curry seasoned with garlic” ... A delicious dish that is prepared both with Veggies or Pulses or with the addition of both from ancient GSB Konkani Saraswat’s Cuisine that has a splendid garlic seasoned aroma … tastes superb when served with Boiled Rice or Plain Rice … try it, it just tastes awesome .... Yummilicious …

** Koddel in Konkani Saraswat Cuisine usually means a curry dish that is seasoned with garlic however, in some parts of Karnataka some konkani’s also call it gashi. Coming to koddel it is prepared both with pulses and veggies or with addition of both. Koddel and ambat are the most sought after dishes in our community compared to gashi as per seasoning goes. Ambat usually means seasoning with onions and gashi is mustard and curry leaves. Things and names of dishes have now gone topsy turvey as people began to migrate and stay all over the world. So now, some dishes are also called gashi even if they are tempered or seasoned with garlic or onions. Whatever the name, Koddel particularly is called only for dish that is tempered with garlic in my home and we simply love any dish prepared so with hot ukde sheetHa ie red boiled rice, though it goes equally well with ordinary white rice too. I personally love relishing it with red boiled rice topped with curds and then with the koddel added on to it, tastes simply splendid.

** I have already posted koddel prepared with many varieties and combos of koddel in the blog before and after this post too, I will be adding an common link at the bottom of this recipe, which will take you directly to the list of koddel posted both earlier and before this one. You may be wondering what this means ie before and after, Well, I have re-edited this post after a gap of 3.5 yrs. Though there is no changes in the recipe, it’s still the same, I have added on latest picture which I console myself saying it is better than the previous ones. I was a novice to blogging 4 yrs. Back, not that I am good now, but I would definitely say better. My friends always suggested I also add on some written matter along with recipe, which I really found funny, I mean all of you want recipe, not my stories or chit chat’s. Well that is what I thought, but I was wrong, I get many mails and messages asking me to write, as it is loved by many for it tastes them on a nostalgic trip from their childhood, to adolescent to initial married years. Also my old writings did not include Konkani Saraswat Language names or details, so in order to promote our culture and language I thought it fit to re-edit the same.

** On my part I never knew, my writing a little bit of my own experiences would bring on smile on peoples face, specially the older generations. And as I too love sharing my thoughts and notes, I decided to do so. I am sure then there are a many more who find it a bore to read the same too or simply do not have the time for the same. For them I have actually made it easier by dividing the post. I give a break line for starting of recipe, so you just need to start reading from there, that’s all and No, I do not feel bad at all, I completely understand each one’s choice. But I love at times to go through my own old posts to revive my own thoughts, memories and childhood. And as I go on my old posts I cringe looking at the pictures but also do not want to delete them, coz. they are what that made me and brought me till here, so I am proud of the same and have made collage of the old picture and also posted them so that whoever had read the post need not feel that I have changed the whole post itself. Again, thank you for all your kind words and feed backs and requests on dishes to, I know there are many yet to be responded to, but in time I will.

** Here is my simple method of preparing “Harve Kele Koddel / Raw Banana Masala Curry seasoned with garlic” … My Style …


** Slice off the outer skin of 3-4 medium sized raw banana/ harve kele/ kacha kela which is used for cooking/check picture in collage. The skin should be sliced off as closely as possible, we sometimes hold the knife and give a 1 inch cut from top of the banana skin and then tilt the knife and pull it away, the skin gets torn away leaving slightly a the inner part of the skin intact on the pieces (known as stringing method).

** Note : If new to this method, you can check on this method with your friends or family members who know about the same, as actually that is the way the skin is removed from raw bananas always. It is also known as stringing method which is used for drumsticks and French beans too, so its definitely helpful to know.

** Cut the raw bananas into round thick rings/ slices of about ½ inch in thickness. Wash and put it in pressure cooker with 1/3rd level of water above the banana layer. Pressure cook to one whistle and remove from fire, wait 5-10 minutes, gently release the steam with the help of tongs (be very careful) or you can pour some water over the weight on the lid of cooker to cool the vessel which helps in releasing steam also. This is done do ensure that the bananas are not over cooked. If not confident, just put the washed and cut pieces in a vessel and cook till 80% done and keep aside which consumes time.

** For the Masala to be Ground : Grind one heaped cup full of freshly grated coconut (soyi/ nariyal) with 6-8 red kashmiri chillies (byadgi mirchi/ Kumte Mirsanga) and a small marble sized ball of tamarind (chinchama/ imly). The masala should be ground into a very fine paste. You can use the water in which the bananas were cooked for grinding of the masala, which is what I always do. You can also increase or decrease the amount of red chillies as per your spice level in your home.

**  Add ground masala to cooked bananas in vessel along with some water to bring the gravy to a semi thick consistency. Add salt (namak/ meeta) to taste and cook on medium heat till it comes to a boiling point, then lower the heat and simmer the curry for a good 5-10 minutes. If you find the curry too thick you can add in some water. The curry also thickens on resting period so use your judgment and add on the water.

** For Tempering/ Pannaka : Heat 2 tblsp of oil (tela/ tela) in a small pan, when hot add 12-15 crushed garlic (losun/ lehsun) cloves and fry till light brown in color. Remove and pour over curry, cover and keep it aside for the flavors to seep in. You can use garlic with/ without skin for tempering. In olden days we used with skin on as per the main picture, but in the collage you can find the same without the skin on. I use both method at times depending on the freshness of the garlic available at home. If using with skin on remember to slightly crush them with a small heavy stone or weight before frying. 

** “Harve Kele Koddel / Raw Banana Masala Curry seasoned with garlic” is done and ready to be served. This curry tastes best with ukde sheetHa/ red boiled rice or plain rice though you can also relish it with roti/chapatti in which case keep the curry slightly thicker in consistency, though in my community we prefer rice. Enjoy this delicious amchi dish with your family and friends and do give me a feedback on the same. 

** Given below is the common link to all the "koddel recipes" and "recipes of raw banana/ harve kele" that have been added on in the blog, do give a glance to the same, it will give you an idea on all the different varieties of dishes that are prepared .....

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

1 comment:

  1. Super. Nicely explained. Its a tasty and yummy dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe for food lovers especially GSB konkanis.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks.