Monday, February 27, 2023

Veg- Non.Veg. Kurma’s for All.


“Veg- Non.Veg. Kurma’s for All” 
Life is always a blessing with good friends and food for company ... 

** Now that children's holidays are fast approaching, the onus lies on parents to prepare more delicious dishes so that children can enjoy them. Schooling always makes them hasty in eating, playing, reading, lazing around etc. and now is the only time for hobbies and masti, and to do so they need full on boosted energy. Food plays an important role during holidays as any amount of dishes prepared is finished off in a zap just like that. Crispy savories, cakes, ice creams, cookies are the most in demand as children always love to munch on them frequently. These are prepared and stored in tins way ahead by parents to cater to those in between hunger pangs.

** Again, lunchtime is that time which is most eagerly looked forward to, Isn’t it ??? I am sure it is, at least during our childhood we peeped into the kitchen a hundred times to check out on what Amma was preparing for lunch. Off course we siblings would try our own game of guess work on names of dishes by inhaling the aroma coming out of kitchen and trust me most of the time we scored 100% on guessing. I think we are all foodies and have inherited the knack of the ability to both cook as well as visualize on food. I am sure most of you’ll did the same too, as they are treasured memories. Decades back we did enjoy on Sundays as then it was not so hectic for us as it is for present generation, that is the very reason why the month long holidays should be enjoyed to the hilt.

** “Kurma” is a South Indian style vegetable creamy lightly spiced red curry made with assorted vegetables with addition of ground coconut masala. Each restaurant, home have their own method of preparing this delicious curry with minute differences, nevertheless they are all aromatic, delicious and scrumptious in taste. This is a very versatile dish that tastes equally good served with poori, parathas, ghee rice, pulav, dosas, idlies, naan etc. It’s been over 5 decades and kurma still runs strong in my home. It’s my favorite dish, from childhood and somehow I can never say no to it. I first tasted kurma that Amma (Mom) prepared and fell instantly in love with this recipe after which I always used to insist she prepares it during holidays so that I could relish it in leisure.

** If you have not tried veggie or non.veg. Kurma, do try it out, it tastes exotic. In my case I always thought that kurma meant a dish prepared with veggies as those days we did not have much knowledge of food combinations. There was neither TV nor did we purchase much of cookery books. Amma either learnt it from neighbors/ aunts/ from weekly kannada magazines which were also a part of our growing up years. Aanu purchased all magazines like femina, women’s era, taranga etc. and we always browsed through and read them. I was always fascinated with books and luckily had a Dr. Shetty neighbor who always purchased children’s storybooks for their children, which they graciously shared, and I must say I have read all Amar Chitra Kathas, Tinkle, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Secret Seven, Enid Blyton books, Sigh, I really miss childhood.

** Coming to Kurma, I learned much later that the it could be prepared both as a veggie dish and as a non- veggie dish with eggs/ chicken and tasted equally good. A simple medium spiced aromatic dish that tasted awesome served along with any dish. It best prepared with ground masala and you can add on cashew nuts, cus cus, almonds, coconut milk etc. too which are a matter of choice. Trying out new dishes has always been an inspiration for me and I love trying out those recipes that we love or that which we grew up relishing with some twists. I stick to old recipe method, as they are delicious and really do not need much changes, however giving some small changes or taking a few short cuts adding on masala powders easily available make the preparation method faster, easier and less tedious.

** I have shared a collage of pictures above on some of the tastiest kurma’s from my collection which includes veg as well as non.veg and a few which are similarly prepared. These are all my own concoctions tried out in various combinations while keeping the basic of traditional dishes intact, as that is what has always intrigued me and almost all of my variations have turned out successful. To all those who browse through my recipes, do leave in a comment if you try them out or if you have a query, it helps me in many ways and is always a blessing to know when appreciated. I take this opportunity to thank all of you who have helped me in this culinary journey which has completed over 8 yrs and hopefully will do so for a longtime to come. Do try out different types of kurma and enjoy with your family and friends, I am sharing link to each one of them below which you can browse through and try in leisure, I assure you they are all tasty.

** Given below are the links to the recipes of individual dishes in the picture above, please go through the link for that particular dish ..... do try them out in your home and enjoy with family and friends, they are all tried and tested in my own kitchen many times and are very tasty …

** For “Almond (Badami) Vegetable Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Chickpeas Seemebadanekayi Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Chilkewali Moong Dal- Vegetable Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Corn- Carrot- Cashew Malwani Sagu Masala” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Fresh Turmeric Root Vegetable Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Hirvi Patal Bhaji” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Soya Chunks Vegetable Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Vegetable Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Tomato Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Hyderabadi White Vegetable Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Jenavaro (White Beans) Vegetable Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Vegetable Moringa Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Egg Raw Tomato Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Paneer Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** For “Hyderabadi White Egg Kurma” Recipe, Please follow the link given below ….

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I am sure you will love them, they are all tried and tested in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.