Monday, December 12, 2022

Chutney-Butter-Sandwich.


Oh! that utterly butterly taste is just heavenly … enjoying breakfast of “Chutney-Butter-Sandwich” served with tomato ketchup and Ginger Tea/ Adraki Chai … I have always loved bread in any way it is served and while most of my friends envied dosa/ idly which was a routine in my home during childhood, I always wanted sandwiches … and this simple Mumbairkar’s style with plenty of loni and spicy chutney is my favorite … Yummilicious ….

** No, I am not goofing, it is absolutely true that I love sandwiches, be it of any type, I have often written about it before how my friends teased me for ordering sandwich in cafe’ while they desired to have Idly, masala dosa, bajias etc. My love for sandwiches have not and will never be diminished though they have been curtailed these days coz. of all that hype that bread is not good for health. I am not sure, if it is true or a promotional gimmicks for other products nevertheless one can’t take chances when nutritionist too go ga- ga about it on every given occasion.

** I prepared these simple sandwiches with store bought brown bread that’s supposed to be better than plain white bread, though personally I feel sandwiches always taste great with white bread, not to mention on presentation as the chutney and butter application stands out clearer when white bread is used. Next time I will opt for the white ones, and sure to update that picture here for all to compare in looks as well as about taste which you will have to try out to know the best that you and your family would prefer or love to relish. This one is easy to assemble and tasty too, do try it.

** You can grill or toast these sandwiches too, however, these have a unique taste off their own when served as it is. You might have seen them all cling wrapped and sold at many outlets throughout Mumbai, at Airports and in big malls too. The chutney here needs to be prepared slightly spicier as when it blends with butter it mellows down. Also I have used homemade butter which does not contain salt, however if your are going to use readily available ones with salt content then make it a point to add in less salt to the chutney to avoid sandwiches turning too salty.

** Application of butter first on bread slices gives a layer of protection to bread from turning soggy with application of chutney. The chutney should be ground thick using water sparingly, however there will be minimum water content which when applied on bread slices as it is gets soaked in by the bread slices making it mushy when kept for sometime, which makes it unpleasant to eat. However, with butter you can wrap the sandwich tightly in a cling film wrap and carry it in lunchbox. The edges can be cut or left as it is to avoid wastage, I cut them this time for the sake of picture.

** There is really no recipe as such for this “Chutney-Butter-Sandwich”, its just the assembling of all ingredients together and serving immediately that matters … here, you can use any sandwich chutney you prefer to use or that which your family loves, I am sharing a common link to chutney recipes shared before along with the one I have used here at the bottom of this recipe, you may chose any that you prefer, I have also shared a picture collage for the step of application if need be, though I am sure you all know it too well ….


** I have used : sliced brown bread loaf (I used store bought bread), homemade green coriander chutney, homemade white (saltless) loni/ butter, that’s all. You need to have both butter and the chutney at room temperature, so if you have stored them in fridge, remember to keep them out way ahead to thaw and ready when needed.

** Place the required number of bread slices on a board or plate. Apply liberally a layer of butter on the bread slices. Do not make a thick layer, use sparingly, yet evenly, remember too much of butter is also not good for health, a little bit goes a long way.

** Now apply thick layer of chutney on top of half of bread slices applied with butter ie if you have applied butter to 10 slices, then apply chutney over five only. Now place the remaining buttered bread slices inverted on top of prepared bread slices.

** Gently press down the bread to make it compact taking care to see that the chutney does not ooze out. Now with a sharp knife trim off the edges on all four sides then cut it into two pieces either into rectangular shape or triangular shape, as you desire.

** Note : There is not need to cut off the edges of the bread slices and make wastage of bread you can straight away cut them into pieces too which is what I prefer to do, however this time only for the sake of clicking a picture, I trimmed them off.

** Note : There is another solution to use the trimmed edges, you can prepare them into bread crumbs or just crumble them use in preparation of rava bhakri (ref. rava bhakri with bread shared before). In which case remember to first trim off the edges and then apply butter and chutney to retain the bread slices clean and tidy to be used otherwise.

** “Chutney-Butter-Sandwich” is done and ready to be served. Tastes best served as it is immediately at room temperature for breakfast or as a snack with some hot beverages during cold season and with fresh fruit juice if hot season, either way tastes great. I served it today for breakfast with some ketchup and my favorite adraki chai/ ginger tea, my lifeline of the day. Easy to prepare, very tummy filling, healthy and loved by all in my home that’s scrumptious chutney butter sandwich for you, trust me children simply love it and so will elders for sure.

** Before the debate on good and bad of using bread begins, I would like to say that in my opinion it is not bad if consumed in limits a few times a year. In fact addiction of any particular dish is not good, one should always include different varieties of mix and match of food into daily life routine to not only include all nutrients but also make meals that much more appealing and tasty. There are many more sandwiches that I prepare often which I will share soon, do keep a track of my blog for more.

** Sharing a common link to all “Chutney” recipes, along with the one which I used here to prepare the sandwiches, while all chutney are tasty and can be used to be served with dosa, idly etc. For sandwiches however always use coriander chutney only ….

** Sharing a common link to all “Sandwich” recipes which include both veg and non- veg. grilled, tava fried etc. below, you may browse through in leisure and try them out …

** You can check out on “Ginger Tea/ Adraki Chai” recipe, on the link shared below …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.