Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Harve Kele~Piyava Kismuri / Raw Banana~Onion Curry.


"Harve Kele~Piyava Kismuri / Raw Banana~Onion Semi Dry Curry" ... A delicious~tasty side dish from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine prepared usually with suran or karela ... I prepared the same with deep fried raw bananas ... goes well with dalitoy~ Rice or even chapati ... Yummilicious ........ 

** I have posted Kismuri with addition of masala in different combos plenty of times here. This is as I have mentioned before too, a semi dry dish almost similar to sukke dishes when prepared witht the addition of masala and sort of salad when prepared without masala. Kismuri is a semi dry side dish which is usually enjoyed along with other dishes as accompaniment specially dalitoy and rice. You can prepare the same with different types of veggies and even pulses to. I have added on plenty of them prepared in various ways before. I am sharing the common link for kismuri at the bottom of this recipe through which you can reach the list of dishes prepared and posted before. I have also included lots of information in those posts before, so I will not keep repeating the same all over again here. You can read more about the same on those posts for more information.

** Today I just thought of preparing the kismuri with raw bananas with addition of masala, as there were some raw bananas lying in my fridge lying for a few days now and I wanted to finish them off soon. My Mother who has come over to stay was surprised when I announced that I will make the kismuri out of the raw bananas which she had unheard of, she was also excited to taste the same. I had already prepared it a few times before but those days my blog was not in existence, so I am preparing all dishes as and how I keep remembering them.  I have posted the one without masala ie with just onions and coconut gratings salad sort of dish long back which you can check on the list. The recipe remains the same as as of other kismuri, without any changes except that I have used raw bananas here. Do try this yummy recipe and enjoy with your family and friends. It tastes awesome with Dal-Chawal and roti too. 

** Here is my method of preparing "Harve Kele~Piyava Kismuri / Raw Banana~ Onion Semi Dry Curry" …. My style … 

** Ingredients : 
Raw Bananas / Harve Kele : 3 large ones. 
Onions : 2 large sized. 
Salt to taste 

** For Masala : 
Coconut gratings : 1 cup. 
Red chilly powder : 2 tblsp 
Tamarind : one small marble sized 
Coriander Seeds (Dhania) Powder : 2 tsp heaped 

** For Tempering : 
Coconut Oil : 2-3 tblsp (You can use any edible oil) 
Mustard Seeds / Rai / Sasam : 1 tsp 
Curry Leaves / karbev / Kadipatta : 8-10 


** Peel off the outer skin of the raw bananas as thinly as possible and then cut them into small cubes. Wash them in plenty of water, drain off all excess water and pat them dry completely for deep frying. Here the raw bananas used are the ones used for cooking that are available in plenty in market almost everywhere. I have enclosed a picture of the same above.

** Note : You can apply salt to the cut banana pieces, leave it aside for a sometime and then deep fry them shaking off the excess salt water content in the bananas. This type of method is used for many veggies while deep frying for addition in kismuri. However, I never use this method as I do not like inclusion of excess salt in whatsoever manner. I always avoid this step and deep fry the same directly and my dishes have always turned healthier and perfect. You may do so if desired, it’s completely a matter of choice. 

** Peel off the outer skin of the onions and cut them into small sized pieces / cubes and keep them ready aside. 

** Heat plenty of oil in a thick bottomed kadai and when it reaches smoking hot, reduce the heat to medium and wait for a few minutes before adding in the cut raw banana pieces. Add in the pieces in batches if necessary and do not overcrowd the kadai. Keep flipping the pieces till they are fried to crisp. 

** With the help of a ringed spatula or holed spatula that enables you to drain off the excess back into the kadai gently remove the fried bananas and put them on an absorbent paper. Repeat with remaining raw banana pieces till done. You should fry all the banana pieces and keep them ready before you start with preparation of kismuri. 

** Note : You can use the microwave method too like how I have used in my prior recipes for Ivy Gourds and Bitter Gourds etc. You just need to apply about a tblsp of oil all over the pieces and microwave them on high till they are done to about 80% and then allow to cool the other 20% gets done on cooling. 

** I have successfully used the microwave method many times and today also I wanted to use the same. Nevertheless, for a change I decided to use deep frying method as I had used the oil for deep-frying yesterday and wanted to finish it off once more before disposing the same. 

** For grinding Masala : Add in freshly grated coconut with coriander seeds powder, kashmiri chilly powder, a small marble sized tamarind and grind to a semi coarse paste with very little water. The masala should be ground with very little water and should be dry in texture. Remove and keep this aside. 

** In a large thick bottomed kadai prepare for tempering by heating the oil, when hot add in mustard seeds and when they begin to splutter, add in curry leaves and then add on the onions cut to medium sized pieces/cubes. Mix well and keep stirring on medium heat till the onion turns slightly pinkish brown in color. 

** Now add in the ground masala, salt to taste and mix well. Be careful when you add in the salt if you have used some for the banana pieces while frying them. Fry the masala well till its evenly browned (Shirshiravche – Konkani word). If you find the masala sticking to the bottom of kadai or getting burnt sprinkle, some water and mix well. 

** Lastly add in the fried raw banana pieces and mix well. Cover with a tight lid and cook on low heat for 7-10 mins stirring in between. If the dish is still too dry and you find that the masala is getting stuck to the bottom of kadai, sprinkle some more water and mix. Cover and cook until the dish is well done, stirring once or twice in between. 


** "Harve Kele~Piyava Kismuri / Raw Banana~Onion Semi Dry Curry" is done and ready to be served. This is a semi dry dish that should be served as side dish immediately as sometimes it turns softer on resting too much. We Konkani Saraswats serve it with Dalitoy (spiced Tuvar Dal) and Rice as an accompaniment. Goes well with roti / paratha / dosa too. Try out this dish and Enjoy with your family and friends. 

** You can use the search option for "Kismuri" where you will get many more dishes both with and without the addition of ground masala. You can use the link given below. Do try out various types of dishes and Enjoy the same with family and friends. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.