Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Chilled Betel Leaves~Cashew Apple Fruit Panak.


"Chilled Sweet Spicy Tangy Betel Leaves (Podipana)~Cashew Apple Fruit (Kaju) Panak" ... this is my own concoction of panak that I prepared with a mixture of betel leaf and cashew Apple fruit and I am very happy that it tasted superb ... the betel leaves that I have added here are that which were offered to Lord Rama during Navami function in our community ... I think it's God's grace that has made it so delicious ... Sharing this with all my friends ... Stay Blessed~Spread Happiness ... Pankalicious ….. 

** Panak is a delicious khatHa meetHa teekHa ie tangy sweet spicy drink prepared with jaggery/goda and spices with addition of lemon/nimbu juice and served chilled during festive times in temples or pendals where Idols are installed marking any festive celebrations. I grew up drinking this fantastic drink which was made very spicy in Venkatarama Temple, Car Street, Mangalore; which when consumed brought a feeling of smoke being let out of ears in konkani we say kannantule hoga aailo ani dolentule uddaka aaile'. Even sometimes the eyes began watering if you went to drink it in a hurry almost the effect is similar to that of paani poori. Traditionally it was prepared only with jaggery, spices, lemon with a strong dose of dry ginger. But nowadays cooking has reached such an innovative level that we love to make experiments and changes in them adapting our own style in doing so, addition of fruit juices is the most loved one in my home, as it makes the panak much more healthier and tastier with a lovely blend and aroma of fruits. I have posted many variations of panak before as this is one coolant we simply love to prepare and relish in my home during festive season. I will share a common link to panak below at the bottom of this recipe where in you will find them all and you may choose that which appeals to you. 

** Coming to this particular panak, in my community ie GSB we celebrate Rama Navami in great pomp by performing pooja to which preparations are started way ahead. Being an active volunteer and hubby being in the committee the few days in and around this festival is very busy one for us with lots of work that are scheduled to be done in time. We are blessed to do our little bit in our own way as an gratitude to God for having given us so much in life, that we feel we should do some service to the community in some way or the other. Betel leaves are auspicious and have to be offered to God during any pooja held be it in temple/mandals or in your own home. Two Betel leaves (podipan in konkani) with a few pieces of betel nuts (poppala) within and pinned up with a coconut stick (sarnivira) which called veedo is a must to be offered to God and during functions in large scale the quantities are more while at home we prepare only 5, 7 or 11. The function is a grand success with about an attendance of 1000 devotees and by the end of it all you are really tired and weak. The winding up part is the work one of all as everybody moves off with only a couple of volunteers doing the same. It is unfair that many just come to attend and enjoy but do not do any service whatsoever, but hen that is life I guess. 

** Coming to the betel leaves part there were lots that nobody was interested in taking home nor having them. My friends who know that I am very enthusiastic in preparing my own concoction of dishes asked me to do justice to the leaves as they are pious/sacred as they were offered to God and throwing them away was not the right thing to do which was inevitable if nobody took it. I had once before prepared juice with addition of betel leaves along with pudina and lemon and also prepared pulav using the leaves, so I agreed and brought them all home, In all there was at least 24 sets of the same. The next day I had to attend a function so I completely forgot about the same, It was only today that I realized I have to prepare something out of it. Usually during Rama Navami festival day I prepare panak at home to offer to God as Naivedyam as the community function I have to attend to is later on in the noon to almost midnight. But this time somehow, things were too hectic with back to back workload that I prepared only dahi bhaat in the noon with magge harshala as naivedyam to God which I have already posted. So I decided to prepare panak with the leaves and was wondering what I could add when my eyes fell on the dozen of ripe cashew apple fruits in the fridge hubby had brought home. I will not write much about cashew apple fruit as you can go through search option and you will find many details and recipes with it. 

** Here is my simple recipe for "Chilled Sweet Spicy Tangy Betel Leaves (Podipana)~Cashew Apple Fruit (Kaju) Panak"…. My own style … 

** Clean, wash and chop into pieces about 20-24 medium sized betel leaves/podipana. Wash and wipe 2 medium sized cashew apple fruits discarding the seed if is attached to it and cut it into 1 inch sized pieces. Put them in a mixer grinder along with 200-250 gms of jaggery (goda/bella), 2 tblsp of pepper (miri) powder, 1.5 to 2 tblsp of dry ginger (shunti) powder and grind to a very smooth paste with water. The paste should be ground smooth with just about enough water. Once done add in 3-4 cups of water and using the pulse mode mix all again together in mixer. 

** Remove and strain the juice through a very fine sieve or muslin cloth. Put the remaining residue collected in the sieve back into the mixer grinder again and grind with another cup of water, then add in another 2 cups of water and pulse all together. Remove and strain in similar way as above adding it to the previous strained juice. In all you can get about 2 litres of juice out of this. Now add in about 4-5 freshly squeezed lemon juice along with ½ to 1 tsp of cardamom (yellu/ellaichi) powder and mix well. Put the prepared panak in fridge for about 2-3 hours to chill. Best left overnight as it gets chilled well and tastes great when served cold during summer. 


** "Chilled Sweet Spicy Tangy Betel Leaves (Podipana)~Cashew Apple Fruit (Kaju) Panak"is done and ready to be served. This can be offered as Naivedyam to God also, specially so during Rama Navami and Krishna Janamshtami as per the tradition and then distributed among family and friends. Definitely a lovely coolant that is healthy too with addition of both fruit and the betel leaf which are considered to have lots of healthy properties. Do try this out if cashew apple fruit is available in your vicinity as betel leaves are available almost everywhere in India. Do make it a habit of consuming homemade drinks than serving the colas as they are very harmful for health specially with growing children. 

** Note : The addition of betel leaves here gives a strong aroma and taste of the same. If you do not like the same much you can cut down the amount too, but if you like it prepare in same quantity as it imparts a very unique taste which you will love. Same is the case with cashew apple fruit. But the quantity I have added, I assure you will give you a very good panak which is sure to be loved by one and all. 

** Note : Addition of jaggery depends on individual taste, you can increase or decrease the same. You can also add in a pinch of salt to enhance the taste, I have not as I am all for consumption of less salt as it is not good for overall health. Same is also the case of pepper powder and dry ginger powder, you can adjust as per your liking. But this drink is strong in taste and should sting the tongue when relishing to enjoy it the best, so do try it in the given measurements and then make changes as per your desire. 

** Given below is the common link for several recipes of “Panak”, please go through the link and choose that which you would love to try and enjoy with your family and friends … 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.