Friday, February 15, 2019

Crispy Horse Gram (Kulith)~Rice~Mixed Dal Dosa / Adai.


"Crispy Horse Gram (Kulith)~Rice~Mixed Dal Dosa / Adai served with Spicy~Crunchy Coriander Leaves~Peanut Chutney" ... been a long time since I experimented in mix matching for dosa, timeachi melaina, Kasane korche ... finally tried this one today and I must say it turned out superb ... Kurkuri ~ Yummilicious ~ Tummy full Bf ... 

** Been a long time since I prepared dosa with some variations of my own. Life has been one roller coaster ride the whole of last year with back to back one or the other problems. Started with my eye surgery and then hubby’s and then adding on some personal issues. By now hubby and me are used to being roughened up in life that, it has sort of numbed us up. Though we never ever let things effect our business or commitments, it does at time take toll on me and upsets me. I have mentioned before that my frequent official trips to Ambernath (outskirts of Mumbai), always ended in me bringing jackfruit leaves to prepare Khotto (Idly in the prepared jackfruit leaves baskets). I am sure many of you must have noticed the frequent khotto dishes posted. Well, I think in my 30 years of married life I have never eaten khotto as much as I ate last year. Without giving much thought or becoming fussy, I just prepared khotto almost 3-4 times a month, which both hubby and me loved to have for bf or lunch depending upon the accompaniment I prepared to go with it. 

** It was only when I was chatting with my friend last month, that I realized I had not tried out some new dosa, when she casually blurted out, “plz. don’t tell me you had khotto for bf. This is the 100 th time I am hearing it”. Though we both burst out laughing, it did ring a bell in my mind and I mentioned this to hubby. Well, he loves khotto, so he just ignored it, saying, so what, it’s a healthy dish. But me, no ways, my mind started ticking and I came up with this dosa, it turned out crisp and yum and was very filling and yes, hubby had two dosas with chutney without a murmur and sheepishly said, I guess your friend was right. Well, I assure many more dosa hopefully will be prepared this year as I am trying to find out new concoctions of the same, till then try this out it tastes Yummy when served with chutney or fresh homemade butter. Sharing the link of Spicy Crunchy Coriander Leaves Peanut Chutney at the bottom of this recipe. Do try it out, goes well with dosa, sandwiches or even roti. This dosa has addition of Horse Gram / Kulith which is considered to be very healthy. 

** We Konkani Saraswat’s have been eating this lentil for generations now though it is being gaining publicity now, thanks to technology, we get everything in finger tips now. South Indians add on a lot of lentils / pulses / legumes into their cooking and though at times our ancestors were unable to give us proper explanations due to lack of communication skills of promotion on right ways,  they  always insisted that we eat it at least once in a week or so. In fact in Konkani community there has been a tradition down generation, wherein there are marked days in the week for preparation of the same. Like Fridays we prepared whole black chana, Saturday it was kulith, Tuesdays it was whole moong and so on. This practice of adding on pulses day wise, not only helped the women in the kitchen to remember and do so easily but also saw to it that they were indeed consumed on frequent basis.  Over the decades however urbanization and modern trends of food habits have almost neglected this habit and switched over to fast foods. Now people find it easier to buy food like breads or some instant preparations to churn out fast as they are always in the hurry and do not find time to follow the same. 

** Horse gram or Kulith has been considered a cattle food by many as they are cooked in bulk and served to the cattles in hometowns including down southern parts. But it is not so, it has lots of healthy properties that are good for human beings too and must be relished by one and all. Kulith produces heat in the body and it is best consumed during winter or monsoon time. But to those bodies that cannot tolerate the heat levels, it is believed that inclusion of sprouted whole moong dishes wards off the same. Interesting, Isn't it ?? Well I must say we should give in a thought to what our ancestors handed down to us. In Konkani Saraswat Cuisine kulith is used in all forms, be it for dosa, idly, curries or chutney podi. Kulith can be sprouted too and used as upkari/baji, which I have already included in the Blog, so have I added on many curries and saars prepared using the same. Well, I can go on and on about this, but I guess I better move on to the recipe part now as I have written enough of its benefits. If still in doubt you can always google in for more info. 

** Here is the method of preparing "Crispy Horse Gram (Kulith)~Rice~Mixed Dal Dosa / Adai” …. My Style … 

** Ingredients : 
Horse Gram / Kulith : ½ cup 
Urad Dal / Split Black gram dal : ¼ cup 
Moong Dal / Split green gram dal : ½ cup 
Tuvar Dal / Tur Dal : ½ cup 
Chana Dal / Split bengal gram dal : ½ cup 
Raw Rice : 1 heaped cup (I used Surthi Kollam)
Methi / Fenugreek seeds : 1 tsp
Ginger / Adrak / Alle' : 1 inch cut into small pieces. 
Green Chilly / Trani Mirsanga / Hirvi Mirchi : 4-5 cut into small pieces. 
Salt to taste. 
Oil+Ghee in 1:1 portion for removing dosa. 


** Wash well and soak Horse Gram, urand dal, moong dal, tuvar dal, chanad dal and rice together in plenty of water for 5-6 hours or overnight. 

** Soaking of Methi : Soak methi seeds in ¼ cup of water in a small cup for an hour or so, just before you start grinding the batter. This is to be used while grinding the dosa batter. I do not add the methi along with the dal’s coz. When we drain off the water, the health and medicinal properties of methi seeds are also lost through it. You can use lukewarm water if you have only 10-15 mins time at hand only. It will give similar result. 

** Strain off the water and once again wash the soaked ingredients well and drain off all excess water. Put this in a mixer grinder along with the soaked methi seeds with the water in which it was soaked and grind to a thick paste adding only that much water how much is necessary for grinding. 

** The ground batter should be thick as shown in the collage picture. Also the consistency of the batter should be slightly coarse and not too fine. Say it should be of the texture of fine rava sort. Lastly add chilly, ginger and further grind for a minute and remove the batter into a bowl. 

** Add in salt to taste, mix well and keep it aside covered to let rest for 20-30 minutes. This batter does not need fermentation and is ready to be prepared into dosas. 

** Heat the iron or non stick/Teflon coated dosa tawa to heating point. Lightly brush in the oil+ghee mixture and evenly rub it over the tava with a tissue paper so that the dosa is slightly greased only. 

** Now decrease the heat level to minimum and with a help of rounded spatula add in about half a cup of batter in the center of the tava and spread evenly into a thick round shaped dosa. 

** Do not make the dosa too thin, keep it thicker in texture than that of masala dosa etc. Increase the heat to medium and let cook. Sprinkle some drop of ghee+oil mixture on the rim of the dosa and on top too. 

** Once the bottom side of the dosa is cooked, loosen it with the flat dosa spatula and flip to over to cook on the top side too. This dosa is cooked on both sides. Once on top side too, remove and serve it immediately. Continue in similar pattern the remaining amount of dosas required. 


** "Crispy Horse Gram (Kulith)~Rice~Mixed Dal Dosa / Adai” is done ready to be served. Always serve the dosas hot from tava for best taste. I served these dosas with Spicy~Crunchy Coriander Leaves~Peanut Chutney and homemade butter (loni). You can You can serve with any chutney of your choice. 

** Do try out this awesome dosa with chutney and enjoy with your family and friends. The dosa batter is a mixture of lentils / pulses which is healthier taking into consideration that Kulith is very good for health. Do introduce Kulith / Horse gram in different forms into your diet once in a way for full health benefits. 

** Note : Keep the excess batter immediately in an airtight container in the fridge for later use if you do not want to consume it all. It remains good for 24 hours. Do not keep it at room temperature as it begins to ferment too much and is then not at all fit to be consumed. 

** Important Note : Horse Gram / Kulith should always be carefully picked for small stones or inedible things in the grains how much ever the store keeper says it is clean. Never add them on directly along with other pulses without checking through the same properly as there are bound to be some small stones in them and they will be unpleasant to eat if done so. 

** Note : You can remove the dosa with either just oil or ghee as per your desire or as you always do in your home. My Mother used to always prepare and keep ghee+oil in the ratio of 1:1 in a bowl for exclusive use of dosa only. I have no idea why she did it, but the dosa does turn out good and tasty and I have simply followed that method. You may choose any method you like.

** For the “Spicy~Crunchy Coriander Leaves~Roasted Peanut (Groundnut) Chutney” Recipe, Please follow the link given below … 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.