Sunday, March 17, 2019

Kurle' (Kekda/Crab Shellfish) Ambat (Curry).


"Kurle' (Kekda) Ambat/Crab Shellfish Curry" ... This is my very own delicious spicy crab shellfish curry that tastes great with rice or mildly spiced pulav … I have given in a slight twist to the recipe here from the traditional Konkani Saraswat Crab Ambat dish ..... Yummilicious ...... 

** This is my own mix and match recipe for crabs which I prepared accidently in my kitchen. The take off of this curry is that of simple ambat from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine, which I intended to follow which is my usual recipe traditionally handed down over generations. When preparing the curry, I found that I had not added in enough of red chillies and the ground masala could have been made spicier as crabs are sweet by nature and when cooked, it imparts it taste into curry make it slightly sweeter, so you need to make it spicier. Well, the solution is to add in some chilly powder to bring it to balance, but I for a change added on sambar powder and to my astonishment, the dish turned simply superb in taste and I just wanted more of it to relish. But Alsa, there wasn’t more, so I am going to prepare this dish again and relish it with panpolo/neer dosa which sure is going to be a deadly delicious combo. Eagerly waiting for my fish vendor to bring in good crab again. For now, all I can say is try this delicious curry and enjoy with your family and friends. I will also be sharing a common link of crab dishes at the bottom of this recipe, do go through the same and choose recipes that which you would like to do. 

** Here is my very own delicious recipe for "Kurle' (Kekda) Ambat/Crab Shellfish Curry" … My Style … 


** Wash and clean the crabs, the way you usually do. You can retain the legs too like in the picture above, removing only the large claws, the way it is usually done in southern parts of India and in my hometown Mangalore too. But my fish vendor is not able to do so, and removes all the legs and claws of the crabs, so I have to do with it or learn the same which is difficult and scares me as at times it does bite. I have used 4 crabs in all for this recipe without the claws, you can use them too. Maybe, I will one day a they look beautiful like the ones retained above. 

** Masala to be Ground : Grind to a very fine paste 1 cup of freshly grated coconut with small marble sized tamarind and 8-10 kashrmiri red chillies. Keep this ready aside. 

** For the Curry : Heat about 3 tblsp of oil in a thick bottomed kadai, when hot add in 2 finely chopped large sized onions till evenly browned. When they are nicely browned, not burnt, add in 2 tblsp of sambar powder and let fry for a second on low heat. Now add in the ground masala, salt to taste, mix well and fry together for a minute. 

** Add in about a cup of water or that much how much is necessary to bring to a thick gravy consistency. Bring to a boil and when it boils add in the cleaned 4 crabs and cook on medium to low heat till the crabs are cooked well. Keep mixing to avoid the curry getting burnt and add in more water if necessary only. Remove, cover and keep it aside covered for at least 20-30 minutes for the crab flavour to get infused with the curry. 


** "Kurle' (Kekda) Ambat/Crab Shellfish Curry" is done and ready to be served. I served it with rice along with other fish curry and fries as I had a few friends who had come over and we all relished a full fish thali by ourselves with lots of chitchats and fun. Try out this delicious curry and enjoy with your family and friends if you love crabs like me. 

** Given below is the common link for “Crab Shellfish/Kurlo/Kekda” Recipe, Please go through the links for more details on crabs, their cleaning methods etc. There are more pictures there in those links which may be helpful to you, I have not repeated the same here. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.