Sunday, June 2, 2019

Sabut Masoor (Whole Lentil) Chole Masala.


"Sabut Masoor Chole Masala" served with chapati ... for today's Saturday Special ... tried out a new variation of chole using whole masoor (Red Lentil) for a change ... tastes awesome with roti / parathas ... Yummilicious …. 

** “Aaj kya banavoon ya Aaj kya banarahi ho??” Meaning “What do I cook today or What are you going to cook today??” is question that haunts or is hurled at all of us almost all our life once we take charge of the the kitchen, Isn’t it?? At times it excites you, at times it bogs you down, same is the situation I guess with everyone out there who has to cook to eat and I am no exception. At times, I get so fed up, that I just sit closing my eyes for hours just allowing my mind to wander aimlessly. Ahhaaa night is the time when instead of going to sleep I get wonderful Ideas / designs etc. in my ever churning mind only to forget it the next morning. Some I remember, some I don’t, why?? Ok, I do admit age is catching up on me, but frankly I think it is too much of overthinking that finally leads you nowhere is the real culprit. But, trust me there is a solution for almost all problems, agreed some do not have and I think they are best put in the back burners or thrown out of mind never to remember. My solution is I have kept a small diary to which I have tied and fixed a thread with a pen attached to jot down whatever I come across in that every thinking mind of mine. This way I am assured it remains, right there without wandering here and there the next morning. Trapping of thoughts is what I call it and this has saved me a lot many a times and I suggest this to all out there to follow this pattern if you are forgetful like me. 

** Coming to this simple "Sabut Masoor Chole Masala" Recipe, it just so happened that I forgot to soak some pulses for cooking the next day, which I had decided upon and now I was in a dilemma as to what to cook. Nothing in fridge I thought in dismay, as I had emptied and cleaned it for fresh stock storing after I finished off a few more things that needed to be cleared in two more days. As for venturing out to buy some veggie, No way, not in this heat as it was nearly 10.30 am in the morning and the sun was almost reaching the mid point and thinking off shining bright and draining all of their energy. Whole masoor is one such lentil that does not need prior soaking, so finally zeroed in on whole masoor and rice for lunch with some potato-raw mango gojju which I had already pressure cooked and kept ready. To add on protein as per Doc’s advice decided to boil eggs, which always save me. Preparing of Chapati is a mundane task for me coz. of my shoulder and neck issues but wearily thought of doing so, as it goes well with masoor curry. Sometimes you do tend to be lucky. When my bell rang, I was surprised to see my old maid help come to query on my health as now she has gone to her village to stay with her family. She is really a blessing, who actually pulled me back to fitness a decade back and when she saw that I was about to prepare the dough, she just pushed me aside and prepared a good 8 roti in jiffy while she chit chatted and drank some coolant and went off, while I thanked all the millions God’s for my luck. 


** Here is my simple recipe for "Sabut Masoor Chole Masala" … My Style …. 

** Ingredients : 
Whole (Sabut) Masoor (Red Lentil) : 2 cups. 
Tomato : 2 medium sized chopped into pieces. 
Ginger / Alle’ / Adrak : ½ inch chopped into pieces. 
Garlic / Losun / Lehsun : 20-22 chopped into pieces. 
Onion / Kanda / Piyav : 1 large sized finely chopped into pieces. 
Coriander Leaves / Kottambari Pallo / Dhania : ½ cup finely chopped. 
Butter / Loni / Makhan : 1 tblsp (Preferably homemade) 
Salt to taste 
Oil : 3 tblsp 

** Masala Powders : 
Chole Masala Powder : 3 tblsp (I bought from stores) 
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder : 1 tsp 
Haldi / Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp 
Amchur / Raw Mango Powder : 1 tsp 

** Wash the whole masoor (whole red lentil) well and add it into a pressure cooker pan along with about 5 cups of water. Pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles and then lower the heat to minimum and cook for 5-7 minutes, do not worry if the whistles blows in between, just be careful that the ingredients do not leak out of the whistle. 

** If you find that the masoor is leaking out of the whistle and creating a mess, off the pressure cooker pan and wait for 5 minutes. Now put it back for cooking on very minimum heat for 5 minutes and then raise the heat and let it cook to 2 whistles. Allow the pressure to fall on its own and let the cooker cool. Remove and keep this aside ready. 

** In a thick bottomed kadai add in the oil and when hot add in chopped garlic and fry for a few minutes and then add in the chopped onions. Fry both till they turn slightly brownish in colour. Now add in the finely chopped ginger and continue frying for a minute or two. Finally add in all the powders and stir fry on low heat for a minute or two. 

** Now add in the tomatoes also cut into pieces and mix well. Sprinkle some water if necessary and cook covered on low heat for 3-4 minutes. Add in the cooked whole masoor, salt to taste and mix well. Check the consistency and add in water as required and cook till bubbles appear on top surface. Garnish with coriander leaves, remove from heat, add in butter, cover and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes for the flavors to seep in. 


** "Sabut Masoor Chole Masala" is done and ready to be served. This a thick textured side dish that taste best when served with chapati/roti/parathas. You can serve it with rice or mildly spiced rice/pulav too in which case make the consistency of the curry slightly of thinner in texture. Do try out this simple delicious recipe and enjoy with your family and friends. Best consumed within a day as somehow I found it looses taste the next day. 

** I served this awesome "Sabut Masoor Chole Masala" with roti/chapati which my maid help had graciously prepared for me. I am sure it will taste great with poori or dosa too. Do try out various options and enjoy dishes with combo of your choice always. It is always a pleasure to serve dishes with slight twists to family and friends and be happy looking at them relishing the dish with enjoyment and children are sure to always like something new always. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.