Thursday, June 6, 2019

Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) Muskmelon Custard Fruit Salad.


"Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) Muskmelon Custard Fruit Salad" ... All season dessert that tastes awesome when served chilled but more so during summer ... Yummilicious .... 

** “Custard Fruit Salad”, I guess there is nothing more to pen on this cold dessert as almost every mother prepares this for her kids. A full bowl of this custard with addition of both fresh fruits and dry fruits is every mothers dream reality achieved in making her child not only eat but enjoy something without a murmur. I have enjoyed this one through my childhood, to teens, to married life and now through mid life and it has always pepped up my mood. This is I would say a complete meal in itself as the milk has proteins, while the fruits and dry fruits are all loaded with health benefits. The vanilla or strawberry flavors are something that appeal all young and old alike. During summer I love relishing a bowl full of it as my dinner as it not only satisfies my taste buds but also is light on tummy which is how a dinner is supposed to be. I have written so much about fruit salads and my love for it that I will only be repeating myself over again. This time I tried a little bit of variation by adding on cooked Sabudana/Tapioca Pearls to the same and it was awesome. For fresh fruits, I added on only muskmelon and then added on lots of mixed dry fruits. Remains good in fridge for 2 days, so its going to be my dinner for 2 days now. I am sure all of you know the method of preparing custard with milk as it is already mentioned in the directions on the cover of the packet. So will share this recipe in short. Go ahead and enjoy this one on Sunday when family is at home and children are all geared up to start their next academic year of schooling in a few days. 

** Here is my simple method of preparing "Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) Muskmelon Custard Fruit Salad" .... My Style ...

** Soak one cup of large sized Sabudana/Tapioca Pearls in above 4-5 cups of water for 2 hours. Drain off all excess water and keep it aside covered for another hour or so. By following this method the sabudana gets well soaked from within and can be cooked easily to mirror affect easily. 

** Heat ½ a liter of full fat milk to boiling point, lower the heat and let it simmer. Meanwhile in another vessel add in ½ liter of water and bring to a boil, when done, lower the heat and add in the prepared sabudana and cook till they are cooked. Keep stirring to avoid the sabudana getting stuck at the bottom. 

** Now add the cooked sabudana into the simmer milk along with 1 cup of sugar and mix well. Cook both together for 4-5 minutes. Now mix about 3-4 tblsp of Vanilla flavored custard powder with one cup of room temperature water well. There should no lumps whatsoever. Now add this to the sabudana milk mixture on heat and mix well. 


** Lower the heat and keep stirring as the custard begins to thicken. This hardly takes much time, but if you find that the custard is turning too thick then you can add in a cup of water and mix well and if you find that the custard is thin you can add another teaspoon or so of custard powder first in normal water, mix well and then to the custard. 

** When done remove and allow to cool completely, mixing often to avoid it forming thick layer above. Once it has cooled down properly, cover and put it in the fridge to get chilled for at least 8 hours or overnight. I prefer overnight as it gets well chilled by then and also mornings being always hectic, I always do it at night which keeps it ready next day ready for guests. 

** Next morning slice off the outer skin of muskmelon as thinly as possible. Remove the inner most seeds and mushy flesh attached to it and discard the same. You can also prepare coolant or tambuli out of those seeds if you like which I have posted before using magge and the recipe is similar. Cut the melon into medium sized pieces, say about 4-5 cups and add it to the chilled sabudana custard and mix well and put it back in the fridge for an hour and its ready. 

** Meanwhile chop some dry fruits coarsely and keep it ready aside. I have used walnut, cashew nut, almonds, pistachios and raisins. Mix them well and add them to the fruit salad just before serving and mix well. Serve chilled in small bowls as dessert after lunch/dinner or to friends who have dropped by unannounced. You can also add the dry fruits on top of the fruit salad in individual bowls just before serving too, children love to pick and eat them. 

** "Sabudana  (Tapioca Pearls) Muskmelon Custard Fruit Salad" is done and ready to be served. Always serve this dessert chilled as it tastes best when served cold. In summer it is the best and healthy dessert to have as too much of ice cream which are too cold sometimes disagree on bodies that are exposed to severe heat through he day. Custard fruit salad are the safest dessert to be served during any season, so go ahead and enjoy them with your family and friends. 

** I am sharing below a common link to some of the custard fruit salad posted before in my Blog, you can check out the same and try them out too …. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gayathri tai,

    Your recipes are super tasty. The fruit custards look sumptuous. However, one doubt, would not fruit and milk be opposing nature foods as per ayurveda? I too like fruit custard but wonder about possible side-effects on health. Please let me know if it is safe to consume fruit with milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not an Ayurvedic expert and I can't give you an answer regarding that. But as for fruits with custard or addition of sabudana we have been doing so for decades now, at least I have been eating from childhood, No issues till date ... Thank you

      Delete

Thanks.