Thursday, February 8, 2018

Raw Mango~Curry Leaves~Garlic Chutney (Gooli).


“Ambuli ~ Karbeva ~ Loshne’ Gooli / Raw Mango ~ Curry Leaves ~ Garlic Chutney” … A spicy-tangy-aromatic chutney (tikshe-amshe-parmbali gooli) ... I would call it green goodness ... that goes very well with dosa / bhakri / roti … But best with peja / rice porridge … Yummilicious ....… 


** Loshne Gooli / Garlic Chutney in ball form is a coarsely ground dry chutney prepared in most GSB / Konkani Saraswat houses to serve with peja / rice porridge. The chutney is called gooli meaning a amall ball coz. the coarsely ground chutney can be rolled into a round ball without cracking up. This chutney is spicy and has lots of garlic in it along with coconut and is considered very good for health. The chutney can be prepared using ginger too for those who do not relish garlic much. However, it tastes best with garlic. This chutney can be served with Idly, chapati, roti, dal-chawal but it taste best with peja ie. plain rice porridge / kanji. When the weather is bad and once feels cold and weak or if even if you have a stomach upset, this chutney is prepared and served with steaming hot rice porridge. We children used to relish this during our holidays at mid morning break. The chutney usually prepared by Konkani Saraswats is from brined raw mangoes (mitta ghallele ambuli), the same can be prepared by replacing raw mangoes with amla or bimbul (Tree Sorrel) too. 

** I have already posted this chutney with brined raw mango, brined amla, fresh amla, frsh bimbul (Tree Sorrel) and fresh raw mango too. My search through google makes me glance through many dishes that somehow register in my mind at times. I came across many such variations and realized that it was prepared in many different ways in Southern Parts of India with different Ingredients. I love trying out dishes that appeal to me giving it my own tweaks to suit my family. My desire to relish this with peja / rice porridge at nights grow immensely during winter seasons as nothing beats this at dinner time. Therefore, as it is the season of raw mangoes too I decided to try my very own combo of fresh raw mangoes along with curry leaves and prepare it in gooli / ball consistency chutney style. 

** This chutney tastes awesome and goes very well with peja or dosa. I am yet to try adding it as sandwich chutney which my husband is nudging me on to do. There are many more mix and match combo of such types of gooli / chutney that I will soon be blogging. However, I would like to make one thing clear about this chutney; before you try it out that it does not remain good for more than 48 hours in fridge. So do not prepare it in large quantities. But, of course you can put it in freezer and thaw it before serving, which is good enough too. But I would always suggest preparation of fresh chutney and not going in for these freezing methods as no chutney that has fresh coconut in it tastes fresh when not served on time. Try this out and serve with peja or dosa or bhakri or any dish you desire. I relished this for bf. With Banana Rava Nachani Bhakri and Red Boiled Rice Peja / Porridge for dinner. Off course peja turned out much more tastier. But I am sure it will go well with Panpolo too. 

** Ingredients : 
Raw Mango / Ambuli / Mavina kayi / Kairi : one medium sized. (It should be very sour in taste) 
Curry leaves / Kadipatta / Karbev : About ¾ to 1 cup loosely packed fresh leaves. 
Garlic / Losun : 12-15 large sized peeled and chopped. 
Green Chillies / Hirwi Mirchi / Tarni Mirsang : 10-12 light green less spicy one’s
If not available you may use any and add on as per individual liking. 
Coconut : 1 cup freshly grated. 
Coconut Oil : 1 tablespoon. (You can use any edible oil) 
Salt to taste. 


** Wash and wipe dry the raw mango / ambuli and slice off the edible flesh portion as much as possible. Discard the inner seed. You can use the outer thick green skin too, it gives a nice color is edible too. If you do not like addition of it you can peel of the skin with a potato peeler and use the inner edible flesh part only. Cut them into pieces and keep it ready aside. 

** Wash, drain completely and allow to dry on a dry cloth or absorbent paper the curry leaves overnight. They should be dry and there should be no traces of water in them. Keep this also ready. 

** Now in a thick bottomed kadai / pan add in the coconut oil and bring to heat. When hot enough lower the heat to minimum and add in the garlic and green chilly pieces. Stir fry on medium heat for 2 minutes. Now add in the curry leaves and further fry for a minute. Remove from fire and add in the salt to taste, mango pieces and coconut grating and mix well. Leave it aside to cool a little bit. 

** Note : Do not heat the curry leaves, mango pieces or coconut on heat. You should add them after the pan is removed from fire. 

** Put all the ingredients into a mixer grinder jar and grind to a semi coarse consistency WITHOUT ADDING WATER. Stop the grinder often and mix the mixture well in between to get and evenly ground chutney texture. This tastes a little bit of effort, as water is not to be added which hinders the running of mixer. But with practice you will get it perfectly done. So do not hurry the process and have patience. 

** Note : Traditionally this is prepared on stone grinder by crushing it under weight of the stone. Now it is hardly possible for people to prepare it that way as not only it takes effort and time but also patience and many homes do not own a grinder now. I myself, had a huge electrical grinder which I disposed off 12 yrs back after I got spinal problems. But I do have a small portable one on which a little quantity of ingredients can be crushed and ground. I do use it for crushing of chillies etc. but for this chutney I used mixer grinder that has a very fine blade. 

** Remove a little bit of the chutney and check the consistency, the ingredients should have all be ground to grainy texture and you should be able to form a ball of it between palms. Then it is done. Remove all the chutney cleanly from the mixer grinder and mix well, check and add in salt if needed and them mix it well and roll it into a ball / gooli form. If to be consumed after a few hours, put it in a stainless steel box and store it in the fridge and remove 15-20 minutes before serving. Remember to finish off the chutney in maximum period of 48 hours. 


“Ambuli ~ Karbevu~Loshne’ Gooli / Raw Mango ~ Curry ~ Leaves ~ Garlic ~ Chutney” is done and ready to be served. Best with hot rice kanji/ porridge/peja. But you can relish the same with any dish of your choice too. I love having it with peja. But I had it with Banana Rava Nachani Bhakri for breakfast and it tasted awesome. Next, I am going to enjoy the chutney with panpolo as I am sure it is going to taste awesome. 

** Do try this chutney out. It is nutritious and a healthy chutney where oil is used to minimum level, I would call it green goodness. If you still do not want to add oil, you can skip off that step and add in all the ingredients raw and prepare the chutney too. I do make it that way at times when I am in a rush and have to finish cooking fast. There is minute difference in taste which is not much. Also using oil to fry is done only to retail flavor and keep the chutney good for a few hours. 

** You can use the search option for "Chutney" where you will get many more dishes of chutney both dry and wet. Do try out various types of chutney's to relish with dosa / Idly / roti etc. and Enjoy the same with family and friends. 


** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.