Friday, October 4, 2019

Beetroot Raita (Salad with Curds).



"Beetroot Raita (Salad with Curds)" ... this is a simple healthy curd based salad that can be served as side dish with any dish of your choice ... Yummilicious .... 

** Raitas are nothing new to anybody who is fond of preparing dishes, it by and large plays role of a side dish with lunch/ dinner with other spicy dishes. But in present day many use it as their main lunch too when they either want to go fasting or are on diet. In all raita or salad are there to stay in our diets forever I guess. These are not only healthy but also very filling. It is Navratri Days now, though I find it difficult to cook food as this is that period when I am busy with other activities I try to follow a little bit whenever possible. No hard and fast rules to go on fasting as such in my home on all nine days as we have to attend Puja ceremonies a few days and I believe in relishing the food prepared as Naivedyam. However whenever there is no such occasion I keep my meal simple with no onion-no garlic and sometimes no rice too. Beetroot raita is a simple salad with addition of curds prepared as an accompaniment to the Masala Bhaat I prepared with Kodo millet-gherkins. Beets are supposed to be good for health as well as for constipation and it is also believed to bring in glow to face. So include it in your diet and enjoy these benefits that nature has given us liberally. 

** I have kept the Raita simple this time, as I could not add onion, but other days I do add in finely sliced onion in equal quantities and it is simply awesome. You can add sprouts too, they taste great and I have included them before in my blog. All you need to do is just use the label section on the right side of the blog to find them, or just you the search option by using key words that will take you to all dishes that include them. Do try out various options and enjoy with your family and friends. Make salad or raita a must part of your meal atleast thrice a week though it would be great if you could do it on daily basis or 5 times, but 3 times is must. Your children will grow healthy and will be introduced to it at young age which will become a habit in growing age years too. I have already written in my blog about the preparation method of curds. You may check on the same if need be. Remember to also include curds in any form in your daily diet as they are very good for health and for the stomach. A few more days for Navratri, so go ahead and enjoy the festival, May Goddess Durga, bless us all with her choicest blessings. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing "Beetroot Raita (Salad with Curds)" … My Style … 

** Wash and peel of the outer skin of one large sized beetroot or two medium sized ones. Grate it on a grater and keep it aside ready. 

** Beat one cup of thick curds till smooth. If too thick you can add in a little bit of water and beat it well, but remember to not add much as the beets also leave out some water and then the raita texture may not turn out good. 

** Add the beaten curds and and grated beetroot into a wide bowl. Add salt to taste and a few green chillies cut to pieces. 

** Heat just ¼ tsp of coconut oil in a small pan and add in ¼ tsp of hing/asafoetida powder and fry for a minute. Pour this over the curry and mix well. 

** Garnish with little bit of finely chopped coriander leaves. You can also add in coarsely powder roasted and skinned groundnuts, they taste crunchy and great.


** "Beetroot Raita (Salad with Curds)" is done and ready to be served as side dish with any dish of your choice. I served it with kodo millet-gherkins masala bhaat, a spiced pulav sort of a dish but prepared using millet as this combo was on fasting day. 

** Note : You can add in onions and temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves, hing and chillies too, tastes awesome. 

** There are many more Raitas and Salads posted in my Blog, please use the search option or the label section and try them out and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 22 K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.