Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Sweet Nachani (Finger Millet/Ragi) Dosa.


“Sweet Nachani (Finger Millet/Ragi) Dosa” served with homemade butter (loni) … Don’t go by the color, the darker the color of this dosa the tastier it is … A delicious dosa that has lots of childhood memories … Mom used to prepare these dosa's for tiffin when we came back hungry from school in the evening and I loved relishing it with yum yum loni (butter) … Enjoy when they are hot from tava ... Yummy Yumz … 

** Nachani / Finger millet / Ragi as you all know by now, is the topmost in calcium level, highest of all, that is very needed and beneficial for health. I have written many a times before that I had started adding them to my daily diet in all possible ways. I added it while making Idly, dosa, chapati, poori, roti, even bajia and also made coolants of the same etc. all of which are blogged. I see to it that I have it in some form at least thrice a week. This happened when I came to know 3 yrs back that my D3, B12 and Calcium levels had somewhat dipped below normal levels and I was having lots of body aches. My Doctor suggested I take supplements, but being a foodie I did my own research on food that were high on calcium and found that the highest source was on my fav. Millet nachani. That’s it, though I did prepare many dishes using it from before, I increased the same and also switched to jaggery / gud as it had higher iron content which was also necessary for me. Jaggery as you know has loads of Iron content and in olden days when people come home in bright sunlight and where feeling tired people always offered jaggery with water to them. That’s was done so for instant energy, so keep that in mind the next time you feel dizzy in sunlight. Another important snack to carry with you when you travel is a chikki (peanut-jaggery bars) / granola bars, they are also instant energy givers and I always make it a point to have it when I travel. I do not want to run into details of my recovery on the deficiencies though many have asked me to do so, I will definitely be doing a separate post on the same and if you keep a keen eye on my Blog you are sure to come across it in near future. 

** Coming to Nanchane Polo ie Nachani / Finger Millet dosa this is my Mom’s recipe which she always prepared when we came from school in the evening tired and hungry. I have always loved this sweet dosa served with fresh homemade butter that tasted delicious, though at that time I did not know of its health benefits. After marriage and settling in Mumbai, I did prepare it in the initial years, however over years I switched over to bhakri a preparation with rava-nachani etc. that was much easier to prepare. Though Nachani Dosa is a delight to eat, it needs a little bit of practice to prepare the same perfectly as the dosa turns too soft and some find it very difficult to remove from tava as it often results in tearing off if not taken due care. You can add on a little bit of wheat flour or rava which gives it a better hold and is easier to remove, but today I have not done that, I wanted to prepare and relish it the same way that Mom prepared as I loved the dosa full of nachani flavor only. Mom who has come over to stay in my home for a few days was also enthusiastic to help me, but I firmly made her sit on chair and just watch and give me oral guidance only. She is over 86 yrs of age and I did not want her to stand near the tava unnecessarily though she is very well capable of doing the whole lot single handed without my help. Try this dosa if you love sweet flavored dishes, children are sure to love it, with some practice and patience you will def. pick it up fast. I will share lots of tips below the recipe to make it easier for all of you in preparing this awesome dosa. However, if you still have doubts you can always leave a comment or send me a mail, but do mention the name of the recipe on the mail. 


** Here is my Method of preparing “Sweet Nachani (Finger Millet/Ragi) Dosa” … My Style which I learned from my Mother and have added a few of my own tips and tricks on preparing the same too … 

** Ingredients : 
Nachani / Finger Millet / Ragi Flour : 2 cups 
Jaggery Powder / Godda Pitti / Gud : ½ cup 
Coconut : ½ cup freshly grated. 
Salt to taste 

** Oil + Ghee in equal measured (melted) to remove the dosa. 

** Add all the above ingredients ie. nachani, jaggery, coconut, salt to taste along with a cup of water and grind to a very smooth texture. Do not add in more water, if the batter turns too thin it will become very difficult to remove the dosas. So add water gradually as and when necessary. Check the picture the same on the pictures posted for a fair idea on final batter consistency. 

** Note : In olden days nachani powder was not available easily in stores, so the whole nachani millet was wash washed and ground till smooth. You can follow the same method, my Mother used to do so some 40 yrs back. But nowadays we get good flour and it makes it that much more easier in usage. I have not added in anything else as then the flavor of nachani gets lost. 

** This is an instant dosa, so once the batter is prepared it is ready to be removed into dosas. Heat a teflon coated / non stick pan to heating point. Lightly brush in the oil+ghee mixture and evenly rub it over the tava with a tissue paper. Now decrease the heat level and with a help of rounded spatula add in about half a cup of batter in the center of the tava. 

** The batter rolls out on itself into a round shape and if need be only then give a round shape with the bottom of the rounded spatula. Do not make the dosa thin, keep it thicker in texture, check the picture attached. Increase the heat to medium and let cook. This dosa does not need to be flipped over too. But you may do so for a few seconds like me if you like to have it a little bit cooked on top too. 

** Once the bottom side of the dosa is cooked, apply the oil+ghee mixture with a brush on the top side evenly and gently lift the dosa with the help of a dosa removing spatula and flip it over, cook for a minute and then flip it back directly on serving plate. The dosa is done and ready, repeat the above procedure and remove the dosa’s with the remaining dosa batter. 


** “Sweet Nachani (Finger Millet/Ragi) Dosa” is done and ready to be served. Serve them hot from tava directly on serving plate along with a small blob of fresh homemade butter. Tastes best with butter, but you can serve it as it is too or maybe with some honey which tastes equally good. Somehow I am crazy of eating dosas with butter and have always loved it with any type of dosa. Try this delicious sweet dosa and enjoy with your family and friends, children are sure to love it. 

** Notes : Do go through some of the tips on the notes below. 

** You can remove the dosa either with just oil or ghee only too. Somehow I have always carried on this method from my Mom, who usually adds oil and ghee in equal measures and melts it to applying consistency and uses the same for dosas. The choice is yours. 

** Again you can increase the amount of jaggery if need be. The quantity mentioned is actually enough as per the organic powder jaggery available in Mumbai. But the sweet content in the jaggery differs from place to place so you have to either taste a bit and check the batter before adding on more if required. Do use your own judgement. 

** I suggest you use a Teflon coated / non stick dosa pan for removing these dosas unless you have a very good iron tava in which case you may do so. I have used non-stick ones as you can see in the picture as otherwise it becomes difficult to lift the dosa. 

** Always cook the dosa on medium heat as it is very important to do so. If the heat level is low the dosa does not turn out well and if you keep it too high the jaggery in the dosa gets heated over faster and the dosa gets burnt in the process. So do keep this point on mind while you prepare the dosa. 

** Again, you can check the consistency of the dosa batter on the picture. Do not make the batter thin as it is very difficult to remove the same if done so. The dosa is very soft in texture and will tear if done so. Keep the consistency thicker and remove the first dosa and check the same out. You can add in a little bit if need be once you get to see the first one. 

** Another important point to keep in mind is remove small sized dosas and in over confidence or out of hurry / laziness do not try removing them larger in size. It is not easy at all to lift it off the tava and serve the same on the plate. It is always better to keep the size small so that you get to serve them in beautiful, round and nice shape. 

** Again if you find that the oil+ghee applied on top portion of the dosa is more as it starts to glaze once the dosa is done and removed, also melting on further coz. of the heat. You can gently press a tissue paper and remove the excess amount, thus making it that much more healthier, but applying on top surface ensures that the dosa gets cooked from top side too without drying out. 

** Addition of fresh coconut gratings is must as the taste is increased and so is the texture of the dosa. If you do not add on the same, the dosa you get will be brittle and will look like a dried out roti on final finish and not at all appealing. So do not try to cut it off. 

** Another Important point is addition of a little bit of wheat flour or fine rava. Now this tip is only for those who still are not able to remove the dosas intact. After the removal of a dosa or two if you still find it difficult to do so you can always add on a little bit of fine rava or wheat flour and mix the batter well and then continue removing the dosa. There is a slight difference in taste, but at least the batter will not go waste. 

** A simple trick to lift the dosa intact with tearing the dosa or breaking it up on lifting from tava and placing it on plate is to gently push the dosa spatula at least upto ¾ th dia of the dosa. Then with the help of a blunt knife do so from another side say at an angle of about 60 deg. angle from the first spatula. Yes somewhat a upside down V shape, now lift the dosa giving balance by both spatula and blunt knife and put it on the plate. Though with practice you will not need this tip for lifting dosa at all. 

** Last and final tip is no to get upset or angry or heart broken if things do not turn out fine. There is always the next time. None of us were born perfect, nor have we all perfected the art of cooking well. Cooking is a learning process throughout your life, and the main ingredients are love and patience while doing so, the rest will always fall in place in the long run. Remember Rome was not built in one day … So keep trying … Keeping going on with enthusiasm … You will definitely succeed in the long run. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.