Monday, February 5, 2018

Spicy Green Dry chutney with the goodness of Green leaves.


“Spicy Green Dry chutney with the goodness of Greens” … Finally I did it ... I had been wanting to dry out fresh coriander leaves and prepare chutney similar to curry leaves chutney for a long time now … Here is my very own Spicy and delicious dry green chutney that has many greens added on … A store house of health benefits … this can be prepared and stored for over a month and used as and when necessary, specially when travelling … Yummiclicious .... 


** For a long time now, I have been wanting to make best use of the fresh coriander leaves in dried form that are available in plenty during winter season. My love for variations in dry chutney form always makes me crave for preparing my own combinations of the same. I was somewhat reluctant about how to go about drying the fresh coriander leaves. Recently I had to undergo Surgery for Cataract and during this lean phase, I jotted down loads of recipes, I wish to do and this was just one of them. I had to be careful and not go near the heat, so I went about doing those recipes that needed minimum heat. My microwave and chopper came to my rescue. I first prepared the Khajoor Dry Fruits Burfi that was long on the lis of to do which I have already blogged. And then, finally decided to go about doing my dream chutney with oodles of health benefit. Chutney was ready and I was very happy as I had finally done it. I must say it turned out very delicious. Sharing this awesome recipe with all of you, do try out this delicious ~ nutritious recipe and enjoy it with dosa,idly, chapati, bread or you can even add it on to bhel mixture, I did and it tasted wonderful, will add the same soon too. 

** To make fresh coriander leaves powder : You need a large bunch of fresh ~ green ~ tender coriander leaves. Pick out the leaves and collect them in a plate. You can add on very tender stems too. Now rinse the coriander leaves, well to remove any dirt that is sticking to them. Keep aside in the sieve and allow to drain properly for a few hours. Now spread out the leaves overnight on a paper so that they dry well. 

** Now comes the further drying part of the coriander leaves. If you have sunlight facility well and good. Just put it in sunlight for few hours to dry. I have no access to sunlight properly so I made batches of these and put them on a microwave glass plate and ran on high heat till the leaves dried out and were slightly crisp. They should slightly crumble when you crush them in your hands. Remove and allow to cool. 

** How to Powder : Just put the crisp dried leaves along with the tender stems of coriander leaves into mixer grinder and run it till you get a fine powder. Do not run the machine on high speed or continuously. Collect the powder in a air tight bottle and store it in the fridge and use it as and when necessary. 

** To make Moringa / Drumstick Leaves Powder : I followed the same above procedure of washing, allowing to dry overnight and then microwaving till its crisp and then grinding it to powder. 

** Actually to make powder of any leaves, I follow this same method. Collect the powder in a air tight bottle and store it in the fridge and use it as and when necessary. 

** To make Flax Seed / Alsi Powder : Roast the seeds in a thick bottomed kadai on medium flame till they start to splutter or you can even microwave them. I microwaved them, allowed to cool, then ground it in mixer grinder to a fine powder and stored it in an air tight container. 

** Note : The method is same as the one I follow for powdering of curry leaves. I am sharing the link here to give a better understanding, so do check out on the same too for the method. 

** Now that we have powders of Coriander leaves, Curry Leaves, Moringa leaves, flax seed powder ready; let us move on to preparing the dry chutney …. 

** Note : I have most of the above mentioned powders prepared and ready in my fridge as it becomes easier to add them on to any recipe I need them to. If you do not have, just prepare them fresh as mentioned above. A little bit of variation in the measurements of the ingredients will not differ the taste of the chutney powder much


** You will need the following Ingredients for the preparation of this chutney ....

Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhania / Kottambari pallo) Powder : 1 heaped cup… 
Curry Leaves (Kadi patta / Karbev) Powder : ½ cup 
Moringa Leaves (Drumstick / Mashinga saanga pallo) Powder : ¼ cup 
Flax Seed (Alsi) Powder : ½ cup 
Dry Coconut (Kopra / kishile khobre) : 2 cups 
Green Chilles (Hari Mirchi / Tarni Mirsanga) : 8-10 (Less Spicy one’s) 
Garlic (Lehsun / Losuna) : 25 cloves (skin peeled and chopped roughly) 
Red Chilly Powder : 1 tblsp 
Tamarind (Imli / Chinchama) : One marble sized ball. 
1 tblsp of red chilly powder 
Marble sized tamarind 
Edible Oil : 1 tsp 
Salt to taste. 

** Roast the dry coconut on medium heat on a thick bottomed kadai till it turns lightly brown in colour. I roasted it in Microwave oven. You need 2 cups of the same after roasting. 

** Heat oil in the same kadai and fry the garlic and green chillies for a few minutes. Now add in the tamarind and fry for a minute followed by salt and red chilly powder. Just stir fry them for a few seconds. Do not burn them at an stage. If not confident, keep the heat minimum. 

** Now add in all the powders one by one ... coriander leaves, curry leaves, moringa leaves, flax seed powder, mixing it all the time as you add. Lastly add in the fried coconut and mix well. DO NOT MAKE IT TOO HOT, just a little bit warm only and a good mix of all ingredients. Remove and keep it aside for a 5-10 minutes. 

** Now put the mixture in batches in the mixer grinder and grind to a fine powder texture. While grinding do not run the mixer continuously nor run it on high level. Keep it low and run for a few seconds, mix and repeat till you get the required consistency of powder. 

** Note : If you run the mixer at high speed or continuously the chutney powder will leave oil and you will get a sticky chutney. So be careful with the grinding. If you find the mixer going hot, stop for a few minutes and allow it to cool properly and then continue. This is learnt with experience. But do not hesitate to try, a few trials and you will learn and be an expert. 

** Remove the powder in a wide bowl and if you have powdered them in batches, mix them well with light method. Allow the chutney to cool properly before you put it in an air-tight container and store it away. There is no need to store it in the fridge. It remains good for 3 weeks at room temperature. However, store it in a cool dark place and not hot or where there is sunlight. 


** “Spicy Green Dry chutney” with the goodness of greens is done and ready to be served. Serve this delicious chutney with any dish of your choice. Goes very well with dosa, idly, roti or as a side chutney with Dalitoy-Rice too. You can serve it with Dahi Bhaat, it simply tastes awesome, I just enjoyed it with that combo today and my family loved it. Do try this out, it is loaded with good health. Your family and friends are sure to love it. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.