Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Spicy Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leave) Masala.


“Spicy Kasoori Methi Masala (Dried Fenugreek Leaves Curry)” … This is a very spicy~ delicious~ aromatic side dish that can be served as an accompaniment along with biryani or roti/paratha/naan … Addition of Kasoori Methi imparts a very unique taste to this curry that is simply awesome and scrumptious … Yummilicious … 

** I had always been wanting to prepare something different with addition of only “Kasoori Methi” for a very long time now, but somehow always forget about it later on. This time when I purchased a pack of the same, I made a note of it in large letters on my notice board fixed on my wall as a reminder and I kept glancing at it when I roamed round my home almost for a week. Finally, I sat down late in the night and gave a thought to it and went about searching various recipes in my collection to adapt a recipe for the same. The next day was a special day for me as my food group “Konkani Delicacies” was completing 2 yrs of Culinary Journey and as a mark of tribute I wanted to offer a special combo meal for all my friends whom I really can't thank enough for being with me. So here is my very own recipe of Kasoori Methi masala, that tastes great as an side dish when served with biryani or naan etc. as accompaniment. Do try out this delicious aromatic dish if you love spicy food, as though you can lower the spice level if need be as per your requirement, this dish I would like to state that tastes best when served very spicy. Sharing the recipe below, do try out the same and give me a feedback as it encourages me to do that much more. 

** Here is my very own recipe for “Spicy Kasoori Methi Masala (Dried Fenugreek Leaves Curry)”, My Style … 

** Ingredients : 
Kasoori Methi / Dried Fenugreek Leaves : 2 tblsp (heaped) 
Bay Leaves / Tej Patta : 2 medium sized. 
Curry Leaves / Kadipatta / Karbevu : 5-6 fresh ones 
Curds / Dahi : ½ cup beaten well 
Coriander Leaves / Dhania / Kothambari Pallo : handful finely chopped. 
Salt to Taste 
Oil : ¼ cup 

** To be finely Chopped : 
Onions / Kanda / Piyavu : 2 large sized 
Ginger / Alle’ / Adrak : 1 inch 
Garlic/ Losun / Lehsun : 8 medium sized cloves 
Green Chillies / Hirwi Mirchi / Tarni Mirsanga : 4-5 (Non Spicy one’s) 
Curry Leaves / Kadipatta / Karbevu : 8-10 fresh ones 

** For Masala to be Ground : 
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder : 3 tblsp 
Coriander / Dhania / Kothimbir Powder : 2 tblsp 
Cumin / Jeera Powder : 1 tblsp 
Black Pepper / Miri Powder : 1 tsp 
Turmeric / Haldi Powder : ½ tsp 
Goda Masala or Garam Masala Powder : 1 tblsp 
Fennel / Badisep / Sauf Powder : 1 tsp 
Cashew Nut pieces : 3 tblsp (very small ones) 
Melon Seeds : 2 tblsp 


** Heat a thick bottomed pan, when hot, lower the heat to minimum and add in cashew nut pieces and melon seeds and roast for 3-4 minutes. Then add in all the powders and further roast for another 3-4 minutes. Remove and allow to cool a bit and then grind it to a very fine paste with minimum water. Remove and keep it aside ready. 

** Pick and clean the kasoori methi for any dirt particles. Soak in water for 10-15 minutes and then strain through a fine sieve. Leave it aside for the water to get completely drained off. Keep this ready aside. 

** Peel off the skin of the onions and garlic and chop them to very fine pieces. Wash and wipe dry and finely chop the ginger and green chillies. Also finely chop the curry leaves. Keep them all ready aside. 

** Note : We need all the above ingredients to be finely chopped which can be tedious. You can add them all in a vegetable chopper and finely chop them all together too, as it gives better result. I always use my electric chopper for the same and it gives a very finely chopped veggies which really cuts down my burden. 

** Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai / pan, when hot add in the bay leaves, curry leaves and the then kasoori methi and fry well for a few minutes on medium heat. Do not allow the leaves to get burnt, keep a watch on the heat level. Now add in the finely chopped onion, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and green chillies and continue frying on medium heat till it is well done. 

** When the colour of the onions change slightly add in the ground masala and further fry well for a good 5-8 minutes on low heat. If required you can add in some more oil, but the masala should be fried till the oil leaves the sides or you get a very good aroma of the same. Now add in salt to taste and the beaten curds and mix well. 

** Check the consistency of the gravy and add in some water if needed and continue cooking till you see bubbles erupting on surface. This is a very thick side dish gravy, so do not allow to thin it out, be careful with addition of water. Lastly add in a handful of finely chopped coriander leaves and remove from fire and keep it aside covered for sometime to settle. 

** “Spicy Kasoori Methi Masala (Dried Fenugreek Leaves Curry)” is done and ready to be served. This is a very spicy dish that can be served as an accompaniment with any dishes like biryani, pulav, poori, parathas etc. I served it along with Egg Biryani and other dishes as a combo meal and it was simply superb. Do try out this spicy dish and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Note: You can also add in ½ cup of thickened tomato paste/puree if you prefer the same to curds. I somehow do not like the taste of the tomato when compared to that of curds and always use thick fresh curds. You can use either one as per your choice. 

** Note : “Goda Masala Powder” is a sort of Garam Masala powder prepared by Maharashtrians and is available in grocery stores. It is much more strong flavored than Garam Masala as it has much more ingredients added on to it and is very aromatic too. If it is available in your vicinity do purchase the same as you can add it to biryani, pulav’s etc. too. In case of non availability you can always use plain garam masala too. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.