Monday, March 18, 2019

Soundale Fish Fry (Butter fish Tava Fried).


"Soundale Fish Fry (Butter fish Tava Fried) and Beetroot-Onion-Moong Sprouts Salad" ... Kurkuri bhajjile memme (crisp fried fish) for lunch today ... try it, tastes awesome ... Yummy Yumz …. 

** Soundale known as Butter fish is a delicious fish that is somewhat sweet in taste. When fried crisp it tastes simply delicious and is definitely a delight to eat. I grew up eating fish, but I do not ever remember my father bringing this fish home. We relished fish curries and fries often and as we never went out for lunch or dinner much to restaurants I never actually came across this one. Childhood leaves a deep impact on ones mind, we tend to believe those things firmly that with which we grew up and our mind simply refuses or denies change. Same was my case after marriage and settling in Thane a city just a station away or should I say a stone throw away from Mumbai City border. I came across this fish in the market many times which I queried about but could not get much. I even asked my hubby if in their family they ate it, but he was not sure, though he was game in trying it out. Well, I left it at that and in my mind decided we did not eat this one, that’s it. 

** My journey with food groups started about 7 years back when I joined Facebook and there by got added myself to many food groups. I enjoyed this culinary journey and made many friends on the initial few years chitchatting happily but never posted as I neither had a good camera nor was I that good at clicking (I assumed). I learned a lot about food through blogs which was my favorite pastime when I had time. The lovely food pictures were very appealing and I copied them all and till date I have them somewhere in my PC which actually I have really not attended to. Again, it was here I came across butter fish and learned about the same. I am really thankful to food groups and blogs which made me get out of my shell and be sportive enough to learn the norms of photography and started posting, rest is history. Well, here is a crisp fried “Soundale/Butter fish” that tastes really awesome close to the taste of “Kane/Lady fish” which is famous with Konkani Saraswats. 


** Here is the simple "Soundale Fish Fry (Butter fish Tava Fried)” Recipe … My style … 

** The fish fry recipe is the same as that from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine, as we love it the best, simple and tasty with just a little bit of spice and tartness rolled in rava or rice flour and fried crisp. Here I have Tava fried, you can also tava fry or deep fry the same. 

** Clean the required amount of fish after scaling them and trimming its fins. Cut off the head portion and give a slit on the stomach side and clean it well in plenty of water. Give three slightly deep cuts on the body part on both the sides. I have used only two fishes here. 

** Apply a little bit of salt, a pinch of haldi/turmeric powder and dash of lemon juice and rub well over the fish and leave it aside for 10-15 minutes then clean it well once again with water and pat it dry. 

** In a bowl add in 2 tablespoon of kashmiri red chilly powder, ¼ tsp of tamarind paste or vinegar, 1 tsp of coriander powder, salt to taste and mix well sprinkling little water to make it a thick applicable paste. 

** Apply the prepared paste all over well to the soundale, pushing them into the cuts too and all over within the stomach side too. Keep this in tight fitting box in the fridge for 2-3 hours for marination. 

** In a plate add in 2 tablespoon of fine rava with 1 tablespoon rice powder, pinch of salt and ½ tsp of chilly powder. Mix this well. Roll the fish into the prepared mixture and tava fry on a hot tava / pan to which you have added in about 2 tblsps of oil. 

** Fry crisp on both sides on low to medium flame by turning it over once or twice till done. Do not keep the heat high or the fish flesh may stick to the pan. Remove and place them on a absorbent paper for the excess oil to get drained off. 

** Soundale Fish Fry (Butter fish Tava Fried)” is done and ready to be served. Always served fried fish immediately on frying them as they taste best when served hot. I relished this with a few other dishes and prawn fish curry and it was delicious. Do try this out, it is a very tasty fish filled full with flesh portion and tastes great when fried crisp. 

** For the "Beetroot-Onion-Moong Sprouts Salad" Recipe that is served along with this fish fry, Please follow the link given below … 

** Given below is a common link for recipes of “Fish Items”, to check out on the same by going through the link and choosing those curries or fries that you would love to try out. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.