Saturday, March 30, 2019

Jackfruit Seed (Bikkanda) SukHa Masala Bhaji.


"Jackfruit Seed (Bikkanda) SukHa Masala Bhaji" ... A delicious dry (sukha) masala bhaji prepared with fresh jackfruit seeds that are available in plenty now ... Tastes awesome as a side dish when served hot with chapati (roti/pulka/paratha) or Dalitoy-SheetHa ... Yummilicious .... 

** Once again a simple sukha masala bhaji prepared using sambar masala powder that is readily available to me. Using of samabar powder along with coconut is actually a short cut sort for small families as inclusion of all the ingredients for mixing of masala usually will yield in a larger quantity of ground masala which will then simply go waste or will have to be kept aside in freezer and used at later point. I find this much more convenient, keeping in mind that I need to cook just for the two of us. Sambar powder had come to my rescue about 2 decades back as those days I was too busy and was always in search of short cuts to prepare dishes. I had mentioned before that years back I had tasted this dish which is common in South Indian Thali and used to wonder how they did it. My neighbor, a Tamilian unfortunately who is no more, had told me something on similar lines which she prepared for sundal a mixture of spices along with coconut ground coarsely and added on. 

** Well, I tried my own way and simply ground the sambar powder with freshly grated coconut, salt to taste and bit of extra red chilly powder etc. a mixture of my own depending on what else I wanted to add and I was done. The result is simply a delicious dry sukha bhaji that goes well as a side dish along with other dishes but best when served with chapati/roti. I have tried this masala on many dishes, with different assortment of vegetables or pulses too, and all of them have turned out exceptionally good. Here I must also acknowledge the fact that the sambar powder I purchase from a friend is the best one available in Mumbai and tastes simply awesome, coz. of which I have never attempted to prepare the same at home. The powder tastes awesome when added to sambar or kolumbo or in making of any other dishes and I always purchase it in bulk and store for a few months usage at a time. I have even added them for fish curries and chicken too. You can use any sambar powder available to you or if you prepare it at home the same can be used too. 

** It’s the season of jackfruit now and in Mumbai both ripe and raw jackfruit are available in the market. The delicious aroma of the fruits keep lingering in the market from a distance and you simply want to buy them. They sell them all peeled and ready, which is a boon for many of us, but the seed within is maintained and the fruit bulbs are sold as it is. My hubby loves ponosu/ripe jackfruit, so keeps purchasing them and to my dismay lots of jackfruit seeds get accumulated on in my home. Off course, I stock them in my freezer to be used round the year when they are not available, but then there is always still extra which I keep adding to some dish or the other to finish them off. I give them to my maid help, friends and still there is more. I am trying out various dishes with it and a few days back when I had pressure cooked them to be added for a gravy dish, hubby just removed a few out, added some salt and pepper and relished the same. It was then that the idea of preparing a sukHa masala bhaji struck in my mind and I was really eager to try it out. So here it is, in all a very delicious dish if you love jackfruit seeds. 


** Here is my simple recipe for "Jackfruit Seed (Bikkanda) SukHa Masala Bhaji" … My Style … 

** Peel off the outer white skin of about 25-30 dried jackfruit seeds. Cut them lengthwise into thin strips. Say about eight strips out of one jackfruit seed. Wash them in plenty of water and put them in a pressure cooker pan with enough water. The level of the water should be about 1.5 inches above the level of the jackfruit seed strips. Pressure cook on medium heat for 2-3 whistles, lower the heat and cook on low heat for 5-8 minutes, then raise the heat again to medium and cook for another 2-3 whistles. They should be cooked well but not too soft or they will get mashed. Remove, put it in a colander for the excess water to get drained off. Keep it ready aside. 

** Note : The cooking of jackfruit seeds are really difficult to predict, some cook fast while some take time. So use your judgement and cook the same. You can always cook them first to 3-4 whistles and check out if cooked and if not, then further cook again to a few whistles till done too. We need them well cooked but not mushy. 

** Peel off the skin and slice 2 large sized onion thinly lengthwise. Keep this also ready aside. 

** For the Masala : In a mixer grinder add in ½ cup freshly grated coconut along with 1 tblsp of sambar powder, 1 tsp of red kashmiri chilly powder and a pinch of tamarind. Grind to a coarse mixture without adding water, mix it in between once or twice while grinding to get a evenly and uniformly ground masala mixture. Remove this and keep it ready aside.

** Heat 1-2 tblsp of oil in a thick bottomed pan, when hot add in ½ tsp of mustard seeds (rai/sasam). When the mustard begins to splutter add in a few fresh curry leaves and a large pinch of hing (asafoetida), a pinch of haldi (turmeric) powder and ½ tsp of kashmiri red chilly powder. Now immediately add in the sliced onion and fry on medium heat for a minute or two till its slightly translucent. Now add in the ground masala and mix well and continue frying for another two minutes. Finally add in the cooked jackfruit seed slices and 2-3 tblsp of water and mix well. Cover with a tight dome shaped lid and let cook on low heat till done, mixing a few times in between to avoid it getting stuck to the bottom. If necessary sprinkle some water and continue the process. 

** Note : Some people like sukHa masala bhaji with a slight tinge of sweetness which in my home is not so. However, if you like it, you can add in a little bit of grated jaggery to the bhaji when adding in the masala, mix well and cook the same too. The addition of jaggery here is individual choice. I have not added any for this one, but yes, it tastes great if done too. 

** "Jackfruit Seed (Bikkanda) SukHa Masala Bhaji" is done and ready to be served. Tastes best when served hot with chapatti/parathas or roti. Goes well even with freshly prepared puffed poories too. I had a few with poori the next morning for breakfast. However, I served it as side dish in thali for lunch and roti/chapatti/pulkas for lunch/dinner. Do try this simple delicious masala bhaji, you can even carry it in your lunch box to office and enjoy a yummy lunch with friends.

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You …. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.