Friday, June 29, 2018

Spicy Masala Prawns~ A Delicious Starter.


"Spicy Masala Prawns~A Delicious Starter” served with Corn~Cabbage~Carrot~Onion Raita … A delicious side dish that can be served as starter too … The masala is slightly a concoction of my own adapted from many regions throughout India, but tastes awesome …... 

** I have always wanted to prepare starters of different types of both Veg and Non~Veg, but somehow never find the time as starters need to be marinated for a few hours, which means it has to be prepared and kept ahead in time. As I am always in hurry, I am reluctant to go through such recipes where I need in time. Therefore, it was always our typical Konkani Saraswat Style Ambado, Bajo or at the most cutlets etc. in Veg. varieties, while in Non-Veg it was usually Fish fries. However, my desire to prepare Masala Prawns when I managed to get some large sized prawns, made me try out this recipe and it was simply delicious. I prepared my own masala by mixing in what I felt would taste good, applied it for fish and marinated it for a few hours in fridge. Then I just shallow fried it with little bit of oil and it was simply yumz. Now I am sure I will start blogging more of starters as my interest has been rekindled. Next I want to try out those chicken verities that I always relish as starter in restaurants. 

** Here is the Recipe for "Masala Prawns" with my own concoction of Masala applied to the Prawns ... My Style ..... 

** Ingredietns : 
Prawns / Sungata / Yetti / Kolimbi : About 25 prawns (large sized, cleaned and de-veined) 

** Masala to be Ground : 
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder : 3 tsp 
Coarsely Ground Pepper Powder : 1tsp 
Putani / Roasted Bengal Gram : 1 tsp 
Coriander Powder : 1 tsp 
Garlic / Losun / Lehesun : 2-3 Cloves finely chopped.
Turmeric / Haldi Powder : a pinch 
Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta / Karbev : about 3-4 fresh one’s 
Vinegar : 1 tblsp 
Salt to taste. 

** Oil for shallow frying : 1-2 tblsp 


** Add all the ingredients under masala to be ground in a mixer grinder and grind to a paste. Do not add in any water. The masala ground should be like powder in texture. 

** In a bowl add in the cleaned prawns and the masala powder and gently mix well to evenly coat the prawns. If you find that the powder is not binding well, sprinkle some vinegar and continue mixing. Cover and keep this aside for 2-3 hours minimum in fridge or overnight. 

** Heat the oil for shallow frying in a non stick pan, I used about 1.5 tblsp. Now pick only the prawns and add on into the kadai, rub off excess masala if any and toss on high heat for 1-2 minutes. Lower the heat to minimum, sprinkle some water, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Open the lid and check if the prawns are done, if not cover and cook till done. Once they are 90% done, toss them well on high heat for a minute and they are done. 

** “Masala Prawns” are done and ready to be served. You can serve them hot from kadai as starter or as a side dish with other dishes too. Tastes awesome, I served them as a side dish as this was the first time I tried this method of masala prawns. But I feel it will go well as starter provided you prepare it in bulk, sure to be over within a few minutes. Do try this out and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** You can use the search option for "Fish" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with dosa / Idly / roti etc. or with dal-chawal too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.