Saturday, May 5, 2018

Sweet Idly from Kaju (Cashew Apple) Surnali Batter.


"Sweet Idly Prepared out of Kaju (Cashew Apple) Surnali Batter served with simple homemade Butter" ... I recycled the extra batter with addition of Idly rava and dry fruits and I could not have asked for a better turnover of food ... Frankly I would prefer to call this Kaju / Cashew Apple cake as the texture and taste both were simply amazing ... Superlicious ... Yummy Yumz ......


** I simply have no words to explain of this accidentally prepared Idly, which I would love to call as muffins. But since I have steamed and prepared it the way we prepare Idly, I stick to that reference. “Ek ke saat ek free sunatha, aaj dekh bhi liya” meaning had heard of buy one get one free, today I got it too. I could not believe it when I cut the Idly into two, specially after I allowed it to cool, just like we do for cakes. The inner texture, sponginess and taste were all the same without nothing amiss. But if asked to prepare this as a cake will I be able to do so is the biggest question as this is sort of “Best out of Leftover Dish”. But I have every intention of trying out a proper cake recipe for this one, yes using steam procedure. I hope I am able to catch hold of some more cashew apples as I have finished them off as of now. 

** Yesterday, I had prepared “Kaju Fruit (Cashew Apple) Sweet Surnali (Dosa)” with lots of enthusiasm, though in the final outcome of the dosa, there was no cashew fruit flavour, the dosas had turned very soft and spongy just like our normal godi surnali a famous dosa among Konkani Saraswats which is immensely loved by all specially children. After removing the required number of dosas. I had about 1 full cup of batter remaining which I put in the fridge for later use. Somehow I did not use it yesterday and today I had to use it come what may. I was in no mood for dosa again and just thought why not prepare Idly out of the same batter. I knew I would get only a few Idlies, but that was ok. And the more I thought of it the more intrigued I was to try it out. 


** Dosa batter is slightly thinner in texture than that of Idly batter, so I had to first fix that problem. I always use Idly Rava (Rice Rava) while preparing Idlies and I always have them in stock at home. So I just added about ¾ cup of the same to the batter and mixed well. I left the batter aside so that the rice would get slightly soaked in the same batter for 2 hours. The mixture had thickened and I needed to add in 2 tblsp of water and mix well for the right consistency of Idly batter. There was hardly 2 full cups of batter and I did not want to do anything else to the batter, as I myself was exactly not sure what the experiment would lead to. But my sixth sense was warning me that I was in for a surprise, as I got a lovely aroma when the steaming process was on. 

** The rest of the method was same as that of preparation of any other Idly. I fried some cashew nut pieces, charoli and raisins in ½ tsp of ghee. I oiled the molds / vati’s from within and added the fried nuts into each a little bit, then gently poured the batter into each upto ¾ level. Meanwhile I had kept the pedavan / Idly steamer with the needed amount of water for boiling. I placed the filled vati’s inside them covered with the lid and steamed it on high for 4 minutes and then on medium for 17 minutes. When I removed them out they had completely puffed up almost double in size and allowed looked exactly like muffins. But on completely cooling it settled down and now looked almost like Idly. I ran a blunt knife round the outer rim of the idly and the Idly sided out beautifully in one piece with the nuts intact. 


** "Sweet Idly Prepare out of Kaju (Cashew Apple) Surnali Batter" is done and ready to be served. This Idly is best when served with homemade butter and needs nothing else. The Idly had turned out exactly like a cake texture with correct moistness and sponginess. If cashew apple fruits are available in your vicinity, do try this out, you will be surprised at the final outcome of the same the way I was. Also you will get to enjoy two different dish with one batter as sort of 2 in 1 dish I would say. A very excellent surprise to your family and friends indeed. 

** I have prepared this dish using the excess batter I had out the recipe link posted below, so please check on the recipe and prepare the same to get this recipe, It’s a sort of 2 in 1 recipe. You can prepare the dosa the first day and the Idly the next day. Will save effort of preparing two different dishes too. Try this recipe and believe me children will simple love them. Healthier option to cakes. 

** For the “Kaju Fruit (Cashew Apple) Sweet Surnali (Dosa)" Recipe, Please follow the link given below …. 

** You can use the search option for "kaju / cashew apple or Idly" where you will get many more dishes prepared. Do try out various types of dishes to relish the dosa / Idly / roti etc. or with dal-chawal too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.