Saturday, April 28, 2018

Chilled Kaju~Kairi Panna/Cashew Apple (Fruit)~Raw Mango Juice.


"Chilled Kaju~Kairi Panna/Cashew Apple (Fruit)~Raw Mango Juice" ... A Khatta MeetHa TeekHa coolant that is awesome in taste and a treat to relish during summer as both raw mangoes and cashew apple fruits are available in plenty … Yummilicious ….. 

** Kaju fruit / Cashew Apple has been very lucky for me for the fact that I started my Food Group Konkani Delicacies on this very day an year back with my first post of "Kaju Muddo/Cashew Apple (Fruit) Sweet Dumplings" and the group has surpassed my expectations on completion of one year. Frankly, we friends wanted a small group of our own where we could post and enjoy ourselves. However, when many who are interested in food want to join in, I just can’t say No, though I have tried my level best to not just add on numbers. I still want to keep the group small and sweet and also a beautiful place to live in ease. Therefore, today as a mark of gratitude and respect to the group members without whom this would never have been possible, I prepared a coolant of kaju along with kairi (Raw Mango), which again is a concoction of my own. I love making my own mix and matches in coolants and surprisingly or should I say luckily they have always turned superlicious. 

** Kairi ka panna (Raw Mango Coolant) is a famous summer drink from the state of Maharashtra in India. Every home, every corner of the street or shops seems to be having them either for selling or relishing. People serve this drink during festivals and celebrations too. This is a khatta meetha and a bit theekha drink. Well that’s the way I prepare it. I have already posted preparation of both Kairi (Raw Mango) ka panna and Kaju (Cashew Apple) Juice separately before and I will be sharing both links at the bottom of this recipe. Today I prepared these together and yes, it tasted awesome when served chilled. For cashew fruit juice addition of sourness is must and I usually add lime juice, today I just thought why not add in raw mango and Eureka it clicked. I was indeed very happy to have got it right the very first time and this coolant is going to be prepared every summer in my home hence forth. 

** Here is the simple recipe of "Chilled Kaju~Kairi Panna/Cashew Apple (Fruit)~Raw Mango Juice" …. Do try this out …. 

** Take 1 large sized Kairi / Raw Mango, wash and wipe it clean. They should be very sour in taste. Slice of the stem side portion and discard it. Slice off the sides as close as possible to the seeds inside taking care to see that you do not cut the seed. Chop the slices into small pieces. Put the cut pieces along with the seed (seed is added so that you can remove the fleshy portion that’s still available around it), 2 heaped tblsp of finely chopped ginger, 1 tblsp of  black pepper corn and a cup of water into a pressure cooker pan. Pressure cook to 2 whistles and let cool down on its own. When cooled and you are able to remove the lid, uncover and let the cooked kairis / raw mango cool completely. 

** Meanwhile wash and wipe 3 medium sized cashew apple fruits / kaju and cut them into pieces and put them in a mixer grinder along with the cooled down cooked raw mango pieces and a few whole green cardamoms. Put all the fleshy portions of the cooked raw mango, squeezing all the fleshy portions attached to the seed too, discard the seed. Add in the water too in which the mangoes were cooked along with the pepper, ginger and grind to a smooth puree / paste adding about one more cup of water. 

** Add more water while grinding only if necessary. Strain through a fine sieve. There will hardly be any residue if you grind all really to a smooth paste. However, the process of sieving is must as it removes any fibrous portions or pieces left if any. Now put back the strained puree back into a clean mixer grinder again along with 2 cups of sugar and 1 tsp of kala namak (if not available you can use ordinary salt) and grind to a smooth puree / paste till the sugar has mixed well. Add 1 cup of water and further grind together. 

** Now remove and pour the thick juice into a bottle or clean jar / jug adding more water if necessary and put it in the fridge to chill. I usually keep the coolant thicker in texture so that it consumes less space in the fridge and add in chilled water while serving. This enable us to serve as per individual requirement. As some guest want half a cup, while some want less sweet and some would like it sweeter. You can mix in the syrup as required if you keep the same thicker in texture, off course it’s your choice. 


** "Chilled Kaju~Kairi Panna/Cashew Apple (Fruit)~Raw Mango Juice" is done and ready to be served. This is a Khatta MeetHa TeekHa coolant that can be served during summer time to beat the heat. Do not worry about the inclusion of black pepper corns to the coolant, pepper once it reaches the stomach is said to be a coolant, though it is fiery on taste. This juice must be served chilled to enjoy the taste unlike other juices. 

** Enjoy this drink with your family and friends and surprise you guest with something new for a change. Do give me a feed back if possible. It helps me to do that much more. I take the opportunity to thank all my friends who keep encouraging me to blog and run the group, it does mean a lot and makes me happy that there are people out there who really want some good authentic recipes. Stay Blessed and spread happiness. Remember food is an important aspect of our life, that which keeps us bonded, be it with family or friends.

** Given below are a few of the links to Panna ie a coolant with the addition of raw mangoes, do check out on those links for varities of coolants to relish with your family and friends 






** You can use the search option for "Beverages" where you will get many more coolant, juices etc. that can be prepared and relished with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. You can also send in any query or any recipe request and if I know the same, I will definitely post the same. In today hectic lifestyle, we tend to forget many recipe, though we know them but somehow will have taken backseat, I would be only too glad if you can send in the same to jolt my memory too. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.