Friday, April 27, 2018

Chickoo (Sapota) ~ Chocolate Ice Cream.


“Chickoo (Sapota) ~ Chocolate Ice Cream” Served topped with Chocolate Chips and fresh Chickoo pieces … A delicious frozen dessert with the goodness of fresh fruit and the added on taste of chocolate … Tastes simply awesome … Enjoy this one before it melts … Superlicious … 

** I have prepared this “Chickoo (Sapota) ~ Chocolate Ice Cream” Specially to thank all of you for the wonderful support extended to our food group “KONKANI DELICACIES” by posting your delicious homemade dishes consistently. On “28th April 2018”, We complete a successful year of our culinary journey … but we have still miles to go and we will all do so by continuing this journey together hand in hand … Remember “Sharing Is Caring” ... Stay Blessed and Spread Happiness …. 

** Ice Cream needs no Introduction to anybody. Even to a child who has not yet learnt alphabetical completely will open its mouth in glee for a spoon of the delicious chilled Ice Cream. Come summer and the demand for Ice Cream increases. There is heavy rush in the Ice Cream Parlors and everybody just can’t have enough of them. Ice creams are actually sweetened frozen dessert typically eaten, well anytime of the day, though years before it was relished after lunch or dinner. Nowadays Ice Cream needs no particular time and is relished whenever you desire to relish it. I have even witnessed many eat a bowl of Ice Cream first before they begin their meal and end it with the same at marriage functions. Such is the fascination for this frozen dessert. Every day you find a new Ice Cream Parlor cropping with new varieties of Ice Cream topped with different combos. 

** My Blog does not include much of this high in demand dessert and it is only now that I have decided I should try them out in different flavors too. Not a great lover of Ice Creams, I never ventured into preparing them much at home though my hubby, my mother and sisters are all simply crazy of this dessert. In fact my share at functions was always booked by my sister who is simply crazy of Ice Creams. She can have a whole lot of them in one go. My Mom too will never say NO to Ice Cream. In fact she will forgo dinner just to have two more scoop’s of the Ice Cream. Though I do relish them, I can somehow never complete a whole bowl of it. So I gladly purchased the same from Ice Cream Parlors for hubby dear though he always insisted I prepare them at home. The rising cost of these Ice Creams and the desire to fulfill hubby's wishes as he wanted fruit based one’s, made me venture into preparing them at home and hope to prepare many different flavored one’s too. 

** I have yet to perfect them, as I strongly feel that preparing of Ice Cream needs practice and judgement on texture. Once you get that right the battle is won. Commercial Ice Creams use stabilizers and I did not want to use them. Also they are flavored and I have actually no proper knowledge as to what gets included in them to maintain the texture and the color etc. With changing times however addition of fruit pulps have come into vogue and they turn out simply yummy and tasty. I feel good when I know exactly what goes into the dish I prepare. I had prepared chickoo / sapota ice cream before, but that was before blogging days and unfortunately I just used my instincts in mixing up, but I must say it had turned awesome. I did not write down and now I can’t remember what I had added. So this time round I decided to use milkmaid (evaporated sweet condensed milk) in preparation of Ice Cream along with some Chocolate to get some delicious flavor. 


** Here is my Method of preparing “Chickoo (Sapota) ~ Chocolate Ice Cream” …Using Milkmaid (evaporated sweet condensed milk) and fresh chickoos ........

** Ingredients : 
Cream (milk cream) : 200 ml (I used Amul Milk cream as that is the only one available here, which I had kept in the fridge for 24 hours) 
Milkmaid (Evaporated sweet condensed milk) : 200 gm (I used ½ tin of Nestle’ Milkmaid) 
Ripe Fresh Chickoos / Sapota : 4 large one’s for Ice Cream + 2 for serving 
Milk (Boiled and Cooled) : 200 ml (full fat milk) 
Sugar : 2 tblsp (optional, I have added on) 
Chocolate Chips : 1 tblsp + Few for garnishing. 

** Wash the 4 Nos of chickoos, cut them into half, de-seed them and remove the innermost core that is light whitish pith that is slightly gummy. Discard the seed and pith. If you do not like to add in the skin part of the chickoos, you can gently peel them off the same or you can retain them as I did. Cut them into small pieces and keep it ready. 

** Note : Removing of the outer skin is a matter of choice. I have retained it as it gives a better color and also has lot of nutrients which I did not want to let go wasted. You may peel off the same and use. But I suggest you grind it smooth and you will not know the difference. 

** Put the chickoo pieces in a mixer grinder and grind to a smooth paste. Now add in the milk, sugar and milkmaid into the mixer grinder and blend all together very well. Lastly add in 1 tblsp of chocolate chips and just pulse for a few seconds to crush them for the ice cream to get a crunch chocolate flavor. Remove and keep aside ready. 

** In a large glassware bowl add in the chilled cream and beat with a electric beater for sometime till it gets smooth and foamy. Be careful not to make it into a curdled mass. Do this in cool temperature place and do not use continuous high speed. Now add in the the blended ingredients and beat both together till they are well blended. 

** Pour into an airtight container and put it in the freezer for a good 24 hours to get frozen properly. You can remove in between once and beat the same to remove crystlas if any. I did not. Also, the Ice Cream get’s set within maximum 8 hours and the same can be relished once it has completely set. But I usually keep it for 24 hours before consuming. 

** To serve the Ice Cream : Serve the Ice Cream In Individual bowls. Peel of the skin of the 2 chickoos, remove the inner pith and seeds and then cut them into pieces of desired shape and keep it ready before serving the ice cream. While serving along with the Ice Cream, you should remove the outer skin of the chickoos / sapota. 

** Remove the Ice Cream and allow it to cool for just about 2 minutes and then with a rounded spoon remove the same trying to make it into balls and put them into individual bowls. Add some of the fresh chickoo pieces and top with some chocolate chips and serve immediately. Relish the Ice Cream chilled with your family and friends. 

** Note : Always keep all the ingredients you need to add on as garnishing or toppings and the bowls etc. ready prior to removing the Ice Cream from the Freezer. In India where the climate is most of the time either humid or fully hot, the Ice Cream melts fast, and it is not at all pleasant to serve the same waterish. I myself find it difficult to click a proper picture without my ice cream slowly melting on. 


** “Chickoo (Sapota) ~ Chocolate Ice Cream” topped with chocolate chips and fresh chickoo pieces is done and ready to be served. Enjoy this Ice Cream this summer season with your family and friends and keep yourself cool. Children having vacation will love to relish them when them come home after playing in the hot sun and its heavenly bliss to relish this chilled then. They will simply love them and so will their friends too. 

** It is a joy to see the beaming faces of family, children and friends, when they enjoy something your tried out and that makes it worth trying. Also remember though the Ice Cream may differ a bit from commercial one’s, these are much more healthier for your children and family as you know exactly the contents of the same. It is great way to make them eat fruits too. So go ahead and give it a try. I will be adding many more flavors soon, till then enjoy this Chickoo Ice cream. 

** You can use the search option for "Ice Cream" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types options blogged and enjoy them chilled with your family and friends. And do give me a feedback if possible, so that I can improve on my methods and trials. All tips and tricks are welcome. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.