Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Chana Dal Plain Doddaka and Panna Doddaka.


“Chana Dal (Bengal Gram Dal) Plain Doddaka and Panna Doddaka” served with Rajma Curry and Homemade Butter (Loni) … This is a very old recipe of dosa / doddaka that I had almost forgotten … The dosa is slightly thicker in texture, but slightly spongy within and you can remove the same with seasoning too / panna doddaka … Yummy Yumz …... 

** Chana dal / Bengal gram dal is a versatile pulse that can be prepared in many tasty ways. Dosa, Idly, doddak, puran poli, sweet payasams, snacks, upma, you name it and chana dal has its own dishes of the same to its credit. Though at times, I feel tired of preparing the dishes, clicking them and editing of blogging, when many of my young frds. happily enjoy the same it gives me that much joy and I forget my problems. The written recipes in my old dairies never seem to end and sometimes I myself wonder if I really prepared all these over thirty years. Well thirty years is a long period to fit in within 4 yrs, so I have to put in more effort if I need to finish off the never ending lists soon. Anyway when my friend messaged me asking for this recipe, I was reminded of the same as it had been many years since I myself had prepared it. I must thank her for jolting my memory. I gave her the recipe and thought of preparing the same to be blogged. 

** This is a very simple dish that is almost instant, but for the fact that the chana dal needs to be soaked for 2 hours. Rest of the method is really not much, so try it out. I have three recipes of the same with slight variations and all three are yummilicious, which made me confused as to which one to be prepared first. I decided to keep the first one simple and the rest I will be posting them soon too. Till then enjoy this one with your family and friends. I served it with Rajma Curry and Homemade Butter and it tasted yumz. You can serve the same with any chutney of your choice too. However, I have always relished seasoned doddaks ie those prepared in kadai with mustard and curry leaves seasoning with fresh homemade butter. Somehow the crisp exterior texture and soft within doddak with mustard and curry leaves on top taste awesome when they are served hot topped with butter, that melts on it when hot. The taste is simply Bliss .... Yum Yum. 

** Here is the “Chana Dal (Bengal Gram Dal) Plain Doddaka and Panna Doddaka” recipe …. 

** Soak 2 cups of chana dal / bengal gram dal in plenty of water for 2 hours. After 2 hrs, strain off the water and rinse well under running water. Put it in a colander for excess water to get drained off for some time. 

** Now put the drained chana dal in a mixer grinder and grind to a fine rava texture with little bit of water. Do not add much water, we need to get a thick ground paste. The texture should be slightly that of bicuit ambado mixture / thick vada mixture consistency. So be careful with addition of water. Also do not grind to very fine paste consistency. It should be slightly chiroti rava consistency. So keep mixing in between once or twice while grinder, that will ensure evenly ground mixture of the ingredients. Keep adding water by teaspoon to avoid addition of extra water. 

** Lastly add in 1 inch piece of ginger cut into small pieces and 6-8 green chillies also cut into small pieces into the mixer grinder. Further grind till the added ingredients get coarsely ground. Remove from grinder and put the ground mixture into a bowl. Add salt to taste, a few curry leaves also finely chopped and mix well. Lastly add in a pinch of cooking soda, large pinch of haldi / turmeric powder (Optional) and mix well. The batter is ready to be remove into doddak or panna doddak whichever you wish to do. I prepared both and will be posting the method of both. The batter remains the same for both methods. 


** To Remove Simple Doddak : Heat a dosa pan on high till its hot. Add in a few drops of oil. With the help of a tissue rub evenly the oil on the tava. There should be a slight trace of oil on the tava, do not rub off all of it. Now lower the heat and pour on the center about a cup of the thick batter. With the help of a round bottomed spatula spread the dosa into a thick textured dosa about the size of 6 inches only. These are small sized thick dosa known as doddaka. The outer dosa is well roasted while within it remains slightly spongier. 

** Add in a few drop of oil all round the doddak and let cook on medium to low heat till the bottom side is cooked well. Sprinkle some drops of oil on top side of the doddak, gently lift it with a flat dosa removing spatula and flip over gently. Press it gently on the tava with the spatula and cook on that side too. Once done, remove and serve it immediately hot with some chutney or any spicy curry of your choice. 

** Repeat the procedure by applying oil, rubbing with tissue and then pouring the batter for removing doddak as mentioned before and continue doing till you want to remove the required amount of doddaks. Always serve them hot with any accompaniment of your choice as it tastes awesome when hot than on cooling. 

** To Remove Seasoned / Panna Doddak : Heat a small Iron Kadai with 1 tsp of oil in it. When hot, lower the heat and add in half a teaspoon of mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter add in a few curry leaves pieces and then pour about 1.5 cups of batter gently into the kadai. Cover and cook on low heat till the bottom side is cooked crisp and the top side is done too. 

** Sprinkle some oil on the top side and gently flip it over with a spatula and cook the top side too to a crispy texture without covering with lid this time. Once done, remove and serve it hot with chutney or any spicy curry of your choice. Personally, I prefer all panna doddak with fresh homemade butter as it really tastes supperb when combined. Remove as many doddaks as necessary by repeating the above procedure. 


** “Chana Dal Plain Doddaka and Panna Doddaka” is done and ready to be served. I served it with Rajma Curry and Homemade Butter (Loni). You can also serve the same with chutney or any gravy dish of your choice and relish it with fresh homemade butter. The dosa is slightly thicker in texture, but slightly spongy within and tastes awesome. The panna doddak ie seasoned doddaka tates awesome with butter. Enjoy this doddak with your family and friends. I have two more similar recipes which I will be adding on soon., till then relish this one and do give me a feedback on the same. 

** You can use the search option for "Dosa or Polo or Doddak" where you will get many more dishes prepared using it. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with dosa / Idly / roti etc. or with dal-chawal too. Enjoy the dishes with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. 

** You can also click on the links given below for checking the same too …. 



** I am also including the link to the recipe of Rajma (Red Bean) Curry, You can check up on the same too for reference.

** Here is the link to the Recipe ..... 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.