Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Sukkale Sungtache Kismuri / Dried Prawns Salad.


"Sukkale Sungtache Kismuri / Dried Prawns Salad" ... A delicious~aromatic side dish prepared using onions and Karbeva Loshney Chutney / Curry Leaves Garlic Chutney along with roasted sun dried prawns ... goes well with Dal-Chawal or Roti / Parathas too ... Yummilicious … 

** Sukkale Sungata or Dried Prawns are small medium sized prawns that have been shelled, salted and then sun dried on sands of sea shores, till crisp and sold by fish vendors in market. These prawns when sun dried shrink in size and are usually available in the size of approximately about 1.5 inches in length. The tail and head with whiskers are still sharp and you have got to be careful when you remove them. These sun dried prawns have a very strong smell and a handful of the same when added to curries imparts an unique aroma to the same. In Mumbai, we get them all cleaned and cleared off their head portion and thorns, whiskers etc. and all we need to do is store them well and they remain good for 8-10 months. I always purchase about 2 kgs, again sun dry them for my consolation and then store them in a air tight box and use as and when necessary. I have already posted two common recipes from Konkani Saraswat Cuisine. One is panna upkari a semi dry spicy and the other is with addition of Malabar spinach ie Vaali in Konkani. Both these dishes turn out awesome and are the most sought after dishes in my community and I have always prepared them quite often. 

** I have come across many chutney recipe too with sun dried prawns which I am actually new to as my mother never prepared anything directly with dried prawns, she always cooked them, so I am yet to try them out. When my friend Tanuja posted this simple kismuri in my food group “Konkani Delicacies”, I was intrigued as I have never consumed dry prawns as it is. On querying she told me the jest of the recipe and I have adapted it in my own method, though by and large the recipe remains the same. As I always have dried prawns ready in my home, I decided to try out the same immediately with a handful of the prawns. The prawns are cleaned and stored, but I rechecked the same as I was using them directly. I put them on a thick cotton cloth made wet and properly squeezed out excess water and rubbed them and then used the same for roasting as I was still skeptical of using it without washing, this solved my problem. A simple wonderful recipe that goes well as side and we loved it very much in my home. Now that I have overcome the fear of using them roasted, many recipes are sure to follow soon. Do keep a watch on my blog if you love fish like my family and friends. 

** The recipe credit goes to my dear friend "Tanuja Narvekar", who is an expert in cooking fish dishes. Thanks dear, we loved the dish very much and I am sure to prepare this one more often … 


** Here is the method of preparing "Sukkale Sungtache Kismuri / Dried Prawns Salad" ....

** Clean and pick handful of dried prawns. Sieve it to remove any excess sticks etc. if any. Check and remove if there are any dirt particles, also remove the head thorny portion with whiskers if any. As I mentioned above, we get them cleaned and ready in my vicinity, which cuts, off this tedious work. 

** Dip a thick white towel in water and squeeze it out to remove as much water as possible. Now put the cleaned prawns in it and rub it well. This will clear off any mud or sand particles if remained. See to it that the towel is almost dry and not wet, or else the prawns will get soggy and not remain crisp. 

** Now heat a thick bottomed kadai to smoking hot, lower the heat and then add in the cleaned prawns and dry fry them till they turn crisp and crackles, say about 4-5 minutes. You can use the microwave method too. Just put them in a glassware flat plate and roast on high for 2 minutes, stop mix well and run again for a minute and it done. I used MW method. Remove and allow them to cool. 

** Peel off the skin of one large or two medium sized onion and chop them into fine pieces. Put them in a bowl. Add in a tablespoon of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and ½ tsp of coconut oil. Now add in approximately about 2-3 tsp of “Karbeva Loshney Chutney / Curry Leaves Garlic Chutney” followed by the cooled roasted dried prawns. Toss all the ingredients well. 


** "Sukkale Sungtache Kismuri / Dried Prawns Salad" done and ready to be served. This is a side dish and goes well when served with Dalitoy (Spiced Tuvar Dal) and Rice or even with roti/parathas. This is a very aromatic and tasty salad type of dish that will be loved by fish eaters specially those who like dried fish. Do try this simple dish out and enjoy with your family and friends. 

** Note : The kismuri should not mixed and kept prior to serving as the prawns will turn limp and loose the crunchiness. You can roast them and prepare the rest of the ingredients and keep them each separately and mix them just before serving to save time. 

** Note : Addition of Salt is a matter of choice. I have NOT added any as both the chutney and the dried prawns have enough salt content in them and too much off salt is anyways not good. But if you desire, you can check to taste and then add the same and mix it before serving. 

** Note : Tanuja suggested addition of Dry Loshney Chutney (Garlic Chutney Powder) which is an famous dry chutney powdered prepared in almost all home in India. We Konkani Saraswats prepare Garlic chutney and Curry Leaves Chutney powders too. I however have always combined them and come up with my own formula of a aromatic chutney powder, which has a little bit more ingredients than normally a traditional chutney has. I added on the same. 

** I am sharing the link to the "Chutney Powder" I have used and a common link also to chutney powder’s included in my Blog below, you can check the same out too for different types of chutney or if you are fond of any chutney powder of your own, you can add the same too. The choice is exclusively yours. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.