Saturday, May 18, 2019

Saffron (Kesar) Cardamom (Ellaichi) Syrup.


“Homemade Saffron (Kesar) Cardamom (Ellaichi) Syrup” … A very versatile and handy syrup for preparation of Indian Dishes … Pre-made saffron liquid costs a bomb if purchased from stores, above which the quality is always doubtful … it is very simple and easy to prepare at home … Ahhhaaa, Lemonade never ever tasted better than this before … Slurpilicious … 

** I am a biggest or should I say craziest fan of saffron/kesar and cardamom/ellaichi when it comes to flavors. I love adding on these lovely Indian flavors to any dishes especially cold drinks and desserts. I always add on cardamom powder to sherbat/lemonade while saffron I add on at times only, the later being costly. Saffron costs a bomb and I always use it wisely but I must admit I love the color it imparts to the dishes. I have never liked much addition of artificial flavors or color to dishes and do so if it is inevitable only. A small box that hardly contains a large teaspoon full of the same costs around hundred bucks also above which you are never sure of its quality. In Mumbai I have always found saffron-cardamom syrup sold in small bottles say about 100 ml that costs around 80-100 bucks and many people often purchase the same. A little drop of it goes a long way, but I have my own doubts if a little bit of artificial colour has been added to it. Well, I have purchased it once or twice and found the syrup always too thick for my liking. So preparing saffron color for dishes every time was a task for me and I always soaked a pinch of it in a tablespoon of warm milk for dessert and biryani’s, while I added the same in a teaspoon of hot water for sharbat or cold drinks. 

** Preparation of saffron/kesar and cardamom/ellaichi syrup is simple and easy but you have to store it in the fridge and it keep well for 6-8 weeks. All you need is 3 main ingredients and water to bind it. Yes, off course, you just need sugar, saffron and cardamom to prepare the syrup and you can relax and enjoy adding them to dishes till it is time to prepare the fresh batch. Remember to pour the prepared syrup in glass bottles for storing in the fridge as plastic bottles are simply NO-NO. Try including steel and glassware for usage in your kitchen and use plastic only when needed. I have discarded most of my plastic wares, but yes there are still a huge load of the same, which I intend to do so with time. I have stopped purchasing them and request all to do so, unless under certain compulsions. The whole world is fallen under this plastic trap which is very difficult to get out from, I know it is difficult as we are so used to them now for decades, but a little effort done here and there makes a lot of difference. In Mumbai many a times plastic bags have been banned only to crop up in a few months. I carry cloth bags whenever possible, contributing in my own little way to be environment friendly. Coming to the syrup, try it out, if you use these flavors often, it is a boon to have it all ready and stored. 


** Here is my simple method of preparing “Homemade Saffron (Kesar) Cardamom (Ellaichi) Syrup” … My Style …. 

** In a thick bottomed vessel add in 1 cup of sugar and ¾ cup of water and bring to boil. Once it comes to boiling point, continue boiling on medium heat. Now add in ½ teaspoon of Kesar/Saffron coarsely crushed saffron strands and a few outer skins of green cardamom cut into 4 to 5 strips and continue boiling till the whole mixture comes to one thread consistency, say for 10-12 minutes. The timings actually depend on the heat level. Finally add in 1 tsp of fine cardamom powder and mix well. Boil for a minute and remove from fire and keep it aside to get cooled. Once the syrup has cooled but is slightly warm pour it into a sterilized glass bottle and after a few hours keep it in the fridge, remains good for 3-4 months or so. 

** Note : For any reason if you want to cut down on saffron/kesar, you can add a pinch of the same, say about 8-10 strands of the same and a drop of red kesar color available in the stores. I have not added any color as the quality of the Kesar/Saffron I had is of highest quality I got from one of my relative and it imparts a very strong color even if a single strand is added. The choice is yours depending upon your usage and liking. 


** “Homemade Saffron (Kesar) Cardamom (Ellaichi) Syrup” is done and ready to be used as and when needed. You can add on a little bit say 2-3 drops to any dishes like payasam, sherbat, burfi, pedas, ice creams, other sweets and desserts where you would like to add on saffron and cardamom flavors. You can also use the same syrup to be added on for Biryani while layering. Comes in very handy and easy in usage, also gives an awesome yellow tinged color though the syrup is dark red in color. You can check the sherbat/lemonade prepared using it alongside in the picture. Do try this out as it is very easy to prepare, you can also surprise your friends by giving them a bottle of the same as gift when you are invited to their place. It is a wonderful way of saying thanks for sure, my friend was really happy when I gave her a small bottle of this wonderful syrup. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible.

** I am happy to inform you that I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" which is over and year old, with about 19K strong members. It is a pleasure to inform that you will find in the group many more recipes posted by our expert members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.