Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Chikoo~Khajoor Panchamrit (Sapota~Dates Five Ingredient Gojju/Chutney).


“Chikoo (Chickoo)~Khajoor Panchamrit (Sapota~Dates Five Ingredient Gojju/Chutney) served for lunch with Poori”… While Panchamrit/Panchamrut/ Panchamrutam traditionally in Konkani and in Southern parts means those five ingredients required for God's Abhishek which later is served as Naivedyam, it also means a dish prepared using 5 ingredients in Maharashtra and Northern parts of India ... I have given a slight twist and prepared the same using fruit base as I had lots of chikoos at home …. A KhatHa-MeetHa-TeekHa sort of gojju/chutney with delicious chikoo aroma that tastes simply awesome when served with poori … We loved it … Yummy … 

** As I have mentioned on title Panchamrit means a particular dish prepared using five Ingredients in all. In Southern parts of India or for that matter among Konkani Saraswats it is instantly recognized as that which is served by Bhat-mam / Purohit-ji after the Pooja/Puja of Lord as Naivedyam (sort of theetHam) that is offered spoonful on the palm of your right hand which you savor as God’s blessings. The ingredients for which include ie. milk-curds-sugar-honey-ghee along with tender coconut used for Abhishek of Lord and then mixed together and served. That was my knowledge on Panchamrit till I got married and settled in Mumbai. It was the season of coriander leaves and the market was flooded with huge bunches of the same. My hubby on seeing them asked me to prepare panchamrit and I was sort of zapped. I mean, who prepares panchamrit at home, just like that, I said it is prepared only by Bhat-mam on Pooja celebrations. 

** Hubby insisted that his mother prepared with coriander leaves and that baffled me more. Then began my queries with his aunts and my helpful neighbors and I realized that there was more to this word Panchamrit. There are many types of Panchamrit that I then came across, both dry and chutney sort. Our Indian Cuisine is something very interesting to learn on, the same name can mean so many different types of dishes elsewhere in the country. What hubby referred to as panchamrit prepared with coriander leaves was called kothambari palle gojju in Konkani homes in and around South Kanara. In Maharashtra State, that dish which included 5 ingredients of five tastes was also known as panchamrit and I have prepared quite a few of them during my initial days of marriage, most of which I have completely forgotten about, as I had not jotted them down then. I am trying to recollect the same, which I learned some from Kulkarni ajji and will add on as I remember and prepare them.

** I have been trying to give twists to recipes using fruit bases as they are healthier option than coconut which in excess is considered not so good. Though I am partial to liberal use of coconut being a Konkani, I have recently been cutting down on the same drastically where actually I can do so, without change of taste. I was wondering what to do with so many chikoos that I had purchased to help out the fruit vendor and now I was stuck with them and if I left them over for another day they would all turn too ripe and then all I could do was milkshakes or ice-creams and nothing else. Out of the blue hubby suggested, prepare panchamrit using chikoo base. I must say he really enjoy throwing challenges to me and though initially I am reluctant on his vague ideas, many a times they have turned out too good that it makes me wonder if he was a chef in his previous life, as for in this life he does not know to cook at all, though he did attempt and successfully cooked all meals for me for 2 months when I had my cataract surgery done exactly one year back, after that he just disappeared from the kitchen. 

** I had prepared a panchamrit few years back using fruit base wherein at that time I had used other fruits, which too I will be adding on soon into my blog, but for today it is Chickoo based panchamrit. I added on dates, again to make it healthier and cut down on the amount of jaggery which is a must in this particular panchamrit. I would like to specify here that whenever you use fruit bases for any dish see to it that the fruit are just ripe and not over ripe. They lose taste and actually give a stink to the dish which is not at all pleasant. Here we are using the puree for added on bulk / gravy texture to the panchamrit and the same should be little firm in quality. Again, do not cut down on the quantity of tamarind as you will definitely not get the required tartness to the dish if you do so. Panchamrit is supposed to be KhatHa-MeetHa-Teekha ie Sour-Sweet-Spicy and for those who know Konkani I would say it should be Amshe’-Godshe’-Tikshe’. I have served it with poori, but it tastes equally good with dosa or chapatti too. Trying out new options to serve the same with and will definitely post if done. Till then try out this dish with poori/roti/paratha or dosa and Enjoy with your family and friends. 


** Here is my very own concoction, A simple recipe for “Chikoo~Khajoor Panchamrit (Sapota~Dates Five Ingredient Gojju/Chutney) served for lunch with Poori”… My Style …. 

** Ingredients : 
Chikoo / Sapota / Sapodilla : 6-8 large sized semi ripe one’s 
Dates / Khajoor : 20-25 without seeds or seeds removed. 
Tamarind / Imly / Chinchama : One large lemon sized. 
Jaggery / Goda : About one cup (depends upon individual taste) 
Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder : 2 tblsp 
Kala Namak : as per taste Or Ordinary salt to taste. 

** For Tempering : 
Oil : 1 tsp (any edible oil) 
Mustard Seeds / Sasam / Rai : 1 tsp 
Cumin Seeds / Jeera : ½ tsp 
Methi / Fenugreek Seeds : one pinch 
Curry Leaves / Kadi patta / Karbevu : 10-12 fresh ones. 


** Wash and peel off the skin as thinly as possible of the chikoos. Discard the inner seeds and the innermost whitish pith too. Then cut it roughly into pieces and keep it ready. 

** Clean the dates and remove the inner seeds if any. Roughly chop it and add this to the chickoo pieces. 

** Grate the jaggery or you can also use the powdered jaggery freely available in the market nowadays. I used powdered jaggery as it is easier to grind in mixer grinder. 

** Clean the tamarind and check out for seeds and threads if any. They should all be removed. Also if you are using salt pressed tamarind, be careful when adding on the salt later to the dish. 

** To Be ground : Add in all the above prepared ingredients along with chilly powder and kala namak into a mixer grinder and grind to a very smooth paste. You can add in some water to grind the same, but be careful and add only little to get a smoother and thicker consistency. 

** Remove the puree into a thick kadai and check consistency. It should be thick like gojju/chutney. Add in water if required. Now heat the same and cook for about 5-8 minutes till you see bubbles appearing on surface. Remove and keep it aside to completely cool down to room temperature. 

** For Tempering : Heat oil in a small pan, when hot add in the mustard seeds, when they begin to crackle, add in the jeera and methi followed by curry leaves. Stir fry for a few seconds and pour it over the panchamrit. 


** “Chikoo(Chickoo)~Khajoor Panchamrit (Sapota~Dates Five Ingredient Gojju/Chutney) served for lunch with Poori” is done and ready to be served. Serve it at room temperature or slightly cold by keeping in fridge with poori/chapatti/dosa. You can put this in a air tight box and put it in the fridge and it stays good for 2 days as I have cooked it a bit, so that it does not go stale. 

** Best when served with poori / panpolo / chapati / roti as it tastes khatHa-meetHa-teekHa and goes well with the mentioned dishes. However, you can try it with any dish of your choice too. You can also apply it in thin layer between bread slices like jam and serve the same cutting it into bite sizes. Children will love the same very much as they like bread and dishes prepared with bread. 

** I have many more concoctions coming out in my mind to try out using the same with and will post as and when I prepare the same. Do keep watching my Blog for new updates and different types of dishes both traditional and healthier newer dishes. I love experimenting with ingredients and now I am catching up more with fruit bases as they blend in well to from chutney etc. So till then enjoy this one with your family and friends. 

** For the preparation of "Perfect Poori", a dish loved and prepared by almost all Indians, all round the globe  and that which is every child's delight, you can check out the link given below .... 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of different types in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it or have a query, please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Do try out various types of dishes included in the Blog and Enjoy them with your family and friends and do give me a feedback if possible. I have also started a food group for by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" where in you will find many more recipes by members and you too can share some of your own. The link to the group is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring" … Thank You ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.