Monday, March 5, 2018

Nachani Halwa / Finger Millet (Ragi) Halwa.


"Nachani Halwa / Finger Millet (Ragi) Halwa" ... This is one dish that must be included into your diet by both young and old alike ... Nachani is full of calcium while jaggery has iron content and almonds have both protein and Vit.E in them ... better than swallowing those tablets in case of deficiency ... try it, I have and I assure you it does works ... 

** Nachani / Finger Millet / Ragi Halwa is a dish that is prepared the most in my home. I learned to prepare this one after Mom taught me to do duddali etc. out of Nachani which I have yet to post. About 8 yrs back when I was hit badly with health issue due to spondylitis it took me long time of over 5 months to bounce back to health. The high dosage of medicine unknowingly given took my health completely for a toss. One thing led to another and I was always having complaints. Finally 3 yrs back I changed my Dr. and found that I had high deficiency of D3 Vit.B12 and Iron otherwise to my astonishment I was completely fine except for weak spine. When I was thinking OMG do I have to take medicines again, I was surprised by my Dr. suggestion. Yes I had to take D3 and B12 once in a way but the others were suggested by intake of proper food, I was asked to revamp my diet by eating the right grains, veggies etc. I was given lots of lists of Do’s and Don’t’s and some websites to check up on. 

** The underlying teaser was "Don’t expect results overnight". It is a slow but steady journey that has to be followed and we are not in a Marathon. I am still on that journey but have crossed the bigger hurdles. That is when I started my study on food etc. There is so much to still follow and learn and do to gain back fitness, but I won’t give up nor should you if its simple deficiencies, they can be overcome through proper food habits. If by my sharing here some tips and recipe it will help millions of people across the Globe, why not ? I am not a dietitian and nor do I have any knowledge of this, but I am studying, learning everyday and will be glad if even it helps one person in life after reading here. Mom suggested a few dishes prepared out of nachani like bolu / peja / duddali etc. and I started with it, thanks to Mom. It solved the problem of constipation too. Then I started creating my own dishes with the addition of of this awesome millet, that could be relished frequently to bounce back to health. 

** Nachani / Finger millet is the topmost in calcium level, highest of all, so I started adding it to my daily diet in all possible ways. I added it to my Idly, dosa, chapati, poori, roti, made coolants of the same etc. all of which are blogged. I saw to it that I had it at least thrice a week. Though all millets are good for health and you must include them, Nachani top’s them all. I also switched to jaggery more than sugar. Jaggery has loads of Iron content and in olden days when people come home in bright sunlight and where feeling tired people always offered jaggery with water to them. That’s for instant energy. Then came the turn of dry fruits, like almonds, walnuts and khajoor (Dates) all were simply having fantastic levels of health benefits. I began keeping these as Naivedyam on daily basis to God so that I would definitely eat them everyday and my purpose having the same without going overboard or forgetting the same was dealt with. I will be adding many more recipes with addition of millets, so do keep a eagle watch on my blog so that you do not miss recipes. 

** Now I have said enough and bored all of you, so moving on to the preparation of this simple Nachani / Finger Millet / Ragi Halwa …. 

** Recipe is really simple … You will Need .... 
Nachani (Finger Millet / Ragi) Flour / Powder : 1 cup
Jaggery / Goda : 1 cup grated.
Almond Slivers or Coarsely Powdered : 2-3 tblsp
Homemade Ghee : 1 tblsp (Preferably Cow's Milk Ghee)
Cardamom Powder : a large pinch

** Just mix one cup of finely ground nachani powder with 4 cups of water and mix well. See to it that there are no lumps. Keep it aside for 30 minutes to get soaked. The nachani will settle down and there will be some water on top. Tilt the vessel and drain off that water. Add another 3 cups of water and mix well. Put this on medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. If the heat is high and the sides gets cooked faster, lower the heat. The nachani when cooked reduces in quantity. When it thicken add in 1 cup of grated jaggery and mix well till it get mixed properly and there is no jaggery pieces left. 

** Continue cooking till the mixture starts leaving the sides. Now add in a large tablespoon of homemade ghee and mix well. The nachani will come into a lump form but will be soft in texture. Remove from heat add in a large pinch of cardamom powder and 2-3 tablespoon of slivered almost or coarsely powder almonds and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature. You enjoy this at room temperature or you can keep it in the fridge and cool it more and serve the same. You can also prepare this and put it in airtight box and consume it within 3 days when kept in fridge. 


** A simple Nachani Recipe is done and ready to be relished. Trust me it is loaded with health benefits and is very good for all age group people to maintain good health. It will give added bonus of calcium to youngsters, which it will boost teenagers energy level and for the older generation it is really necessary. Specially women come across calcium problem once they cross the age of 35-40. And this will provide if not all at least some relieve for those aging bones. I have benefited and I really hope you do to. But do not expect miracles immediately also I would like to put a disclaimer that this is exclusively my opinion and there is absolutely no guarantee of the same as each individual is different but there is no harm in trying … is there … Try it if nothing enjoy it as a dessert. 

** You can use the search option for "Nachani or Finger Millet" where you will get many more dishes prepared using this awesome millet. Do try out various types of dishes to relish with your family and friends and reap in the benefits of Nachani / Finger Millet / Ragi. Do give me a feedback if possible and if there is any query you may leave a comment or mail me. If you are a member of the food group “Konkani Delicacies” you can contact me there too. 

** You can also click on the link below for checking the same. 

** An Earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group for "Konkani Saraswats" by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey. I strongly believe in Sharing and always endorse that "Sharing Is Caring".

1 comment:

Thanks.