Saturday, December 2, 2017

Cabbage ~ Methi Leaves Bhaji / Upkari.


“Cabbage ~ Methi Leaves Bhaji / Upkari” … A delicious bitter sweet bhaji / side dish for poori / chapati or parathas … Winter Season and Methi / Fenugreek Leaves goes hand in hand … It builds body resistance power, which is very essential in winter season. So this winter season include this simple bhaji in your daily diet … yummy Yumz …....


** I have written about this awesome leaves ie Methi / Fenugreek Leaves many times. I come from Mangalore City, in South Kanara District of Karnataka State from India. Mangalore and Kochi (in Kerala State) are two important places where most of the migrated Konkani GSB’s settled century back, though now they have spread worldwide. By and large all GSB Konkani’s have heard of Mangalore as they either belong there, have their roots there or their ancestors or at least relatives living there. So most of my dishes have authenticity from that region. But after settling in Thane, in the outskirts of Mumbai, I came across many GSB Amchies / Saraswats settled elsewhere and learned a lot of dishes from them. So have I, picked up from my Maharashtrian friends. Mumbai is a mix and match of religions, so here you have all sorts or dishes availabe all round the clock. The city is always busting with activity. A Mumbaikar by heart never wishes to settle anywhere else after being used to the hustle of life here. 

** Coming to Methi leaves, I hardly tasted this during my childhood, as during those days I don’t think it was much available in Mangalore. After marriage, I came across this bitter leafy vegetable and somehow it was too bitter for my taste. Not knowing how to cook it, was the main issue. My hubby asked me to prepare bajia a famous Maharastrian dish and believe me it was total disaster. The bajia was too bitter. Well, I never give up, I do have a large collection of food books which never exactly explain anything much. It was then that an old aaji (grandmother) living next door who came to my help. It is a God given gift to me that I can gel with almost anyone of any age, young, old or kids. Aaji of 80 yrs somehow grew very fond of me, just 24 yrs old. She used to make me sit with her in her kitchen while she chatted away as she cooked. It was she who taught me that adding the right ingredients and mix matching of the methi with other veggies etc. Aaji I must say was too good. That is when, I felt that habits should be cultivated at young age, otherwise not only do kids lose out on the necessities of life but will be reluctant to eat / enjoy the same at later age. Luckily, for me I adapted to the taste very well, and now I am very fond of its bitter taste. However, all may not, so, I request all of you to see to it that you introduce all types of seasonal food to children when they are young itself and reap the benefits of nature likewise.

** Here is the recipe to this simple bitter – sweet bhaji ….
** Ingredients :
Cabbage : 1 cup .. Finely chopped.
Methi / Fenugreek Leaves : 1 cup … Finely chopped.
Onions : 1 cup … Finely Chopped.
Jaggery / Gud / Goda : One large lemon sized ball ~ grated.
Salt to taste

** For Tempering :
Oil : 2 tblsp
Mustard Seeds / Rai / Sasam : 1 tsp
Jeera / Cumin Seeds : ½ tsp
Hing / Asafoetida Powder : 1 tsp
Haldi / Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
Green Chillies : 5-6 (3 tblsp) Cut into fine rings 


** Chop onions finely and keep it ready aside. Chop the cabbage and Methi leaves also and put them in a colander and rinse under running water. Place the colander over a vessel for the water to drain off as much as possible.

** Note : Whenever using methi / fenugreek, use the leaves only and discard all stems, they are not edible. You can also apply a little bit of salt to the methi leaves and rub it all over and leave aside for 10 minutes. Squeeze of the water from methi leaves properly, wash and keep this aside ready. This is done to remove the bitterness from methi leaves. You can leave out this step and just wash and keep the leaves ready if liked. I personally do not follow the salt method as I strongly believe that it should be consumed as it is for its awesome health properties. Also gradually you will adapt to the bitter taste of the methi leaves. Ayurveda, teaches to always taste all 5 types of tastes in life. Bitter, sweet, tart, spicy, salty. But then, You may choose any method suitable to you.

** In a thick bottomed kadai, add in the oil and prepare for seasoning. When the oil is hot, add in the mustard seeds, when they begin to splutter, add in the jeera and fry for a second followed by hing, haldi and green chillies. Fry for a few seconds and then add in the finely chopped onions. Continue frying on medium heat till the onions turn translucent. 

** Note : The addition of green chillies is a matter of individual choice. You can add or cut down on the number of green chillies as per your family taste. This one is medium spicy.

** Now add in the cabbage and methi leaves. Water should have completely drained away from cabbage and methi leaves or else it turns soggy. So shake out the colander in between so that water drains properly also keep it in a tilted position as shown in the picture from proper draining off of water. 

** On high heat mix all the ingredients in the kadai. This process of stir frying veggis on high heat is done to seal in the water in the veggies and leave out the excess water enabling it to evaporate. Fry for 2-3 mins. Now lower the heat add in salt to taste and the grated jaggery and mix well. 

** Cover with a tight lid and cook til almost done. Stirring once or twice in between. Do not cook it 100%, Just 90% done is enough, as later on the veggies cook a bit and may turn soggy. The trick is to keep it crunchy and yet soft on eating with roti. You can garnish the same with coconut gratings, if you wish, I have not as I have stopped garnishing with coconut for quite sometime now. 


** “Cabbage ~ Methi Leaves Bhaji / Upkari” is done and ready to be served. Served best with chapati or roti or pooris. Do try out this bitter~sweet veggies and serve them to your kids and family and insist they eat it. Remember Methi is so good for health, that you will be thankful for the same in later years. They build body resistance power, which is very essential in winter season. So this winter season try this out, and I will come back with many more dishes for you. Till then enjoy and have a great day ahead.

** An earnest Request : There are many more recipes of similar type in the blog. For all my Recipes, use the search option or the label section in the Blog. If you are still not able to find it please leave a message in comment section or mail me the same. You can also go to my page (add on the left side of blog) and leave a message and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible … Thank you. I have also started a food group by the name "KONKANI DELICACIES" the link of which is posted on the left side of the blog page. Do join us in our culinary journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.