Saturday, July 23, 2022

Phodshi/ Kuli/ Mulshi.


"Phodshi/ Kuli/ Mulshi" ... a wild- rare and lesser known leafy vegetable available in the region of Maharashtra only during the onset of monsoon … a grass like veggie with a stiff blade like stalk about a 8- 10 inches in height that’s considered a natures gift as it grows on its own without cultivation … you can add them along with other pulses or veggies and prepare bhaji or fritters, a few of which I have already shared in blog … Yummilicious …

** I came across this veggie 32 yrs back when I got married and settled in Thane outskirts of Mumbai and wondered as to what it really was. I had many Maharashtrian neighbors who explained that it was a monsoon delicacy known as phodshi/ kuli/ mulshi (to name a few names) widely used while preparing bhaji or fritters.

** During onset of monsoon many types of leafy vegetables are available which I believe is nature’s way of providing us with proper nutrients for that particular season which we should make an effort to include in whichever way it appeals to us. After all, it is a joy to relish different types of dishes one learns through lifetime.


** Phodshi is also known as “devakrup bhaji” by villagers as it is believed to grow during monsoon on its own without any sort of cultivation. Natures ways are amazing, on my weekly official trips through villages I find different types of veggies being sold by villagers on the road sides, which I will share as and when I come across.

** Phodshi is one such leafy vegetable, a kind of chive available during monsoon. I have no knowledge of its English name whatsoever, but it resembles spring onions or garlic springs, but has a blade like stiff leaves of about 8 inches in all and sometimes they are a little bitter too, nevertheless supposed to be good for health.

** By and large Bhaji (upkari/ side dish) or Vadas are prepared using these leaves extensively in and around Maharashtra. The leaves adapt to the taste of the veggie or pulses used along with it and I must confess I loved dangara, croquettes, vadas, sanna khotto or chettambado all taste wonderful prepared using these leaves.

** Phodshi is a green leafy veggie having a small white part at the bottom with long green stiff leaves attached about 8-10 inches in height. You can check out the pictured shared of the same. Though some prefer to discard the white portion, it is edible and I always include it in all dishes I prepare, though its individual choice.

** I am sharing a common link to few of the dishes that I prepared using this amazing leafy veggie, do try them out if you have access to it, they all taste wonderful. I will definitely be including more healthy options this monsoon as and when I prepare them, so do keep a keen watch out for recipes and drop me a feedback please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.