Monday, March 1, 2021

Jolada rotti/ Jwarichi Bhakri/ Jowar (Sorghum) Rotti.


“Jolada rotti/ Jwarichi Bhakri/ Jowar (Sorghum) Rotti” served with Magge- Bikkanda- Sukkale Sungtache Koddel/ Curry … this is a authentic, humble, healthy, glunten free roti that is widely prepared in southern and western parts of India that tastes best when served with Veg/ Non-Veg spicy gravy curries …

** I prepared these for the first time following traditional method of using hot water to prepare dough and immediately pat it on with hand on a silicon sheet to make a large rotti. Usually I follow the gas method of boiling water, adding flour, mixing, cooling, rolling with pin like chapatti. I am switching over to easier methods in cooking now to give relief to my otherwise aching shoulders and back and if you have issues then go for it too, remember results are more important than methods, giving up is not a solution we need to think of ways to outcome them and that’s a lesson I learned through 2020.

** I am all for new technology/ new methods be it using of gadget or other equipment's, I try to get them, use them and have found them to make my workload easier, definitely better than relying on maid help. For patting of jollada rotti, I used silicon sheet, found it to be absolute delight to work on for patting method of rotti, unfortunately I could not click as I made only 2 large ones and hands were not clean. However, I will do so the next time, I had started using silicon sheet to prepare puran poli recently and buns too along with other few rotti, but with dusting method I am using it first time.

** I found that flipping it on hand from the silicon sheet was very easy, sort of a clean flip and above all it was a delight to note that I could use very little flour to dust. You just need to have the mixture hot and not cooled down. If the dough cools then the rotti when patting sort of cracks up, so you need to prepare the dough as you do the rotti and not do so of all in advance. These rotti’s required skill and lots of patience along with enough time in hands to prepare them, so try them out when you have enough time in hands and do not hurry.

** Again, I found that they are best served fresh unlike normal wheat rotti that stay good for a few hours. Somehow I found they harden a bit on storing, also I did not like them much with simple bhaji when served but they were fantastic to relish with spicy veg or non- veg gravy dishes. Ok, So, now that I have told you of Silicon usage, hey na badiya baat, now start using it please, No I am not promoting it, but stating a fact, silicon sheets are a bit costly but very useful and will run a long way.It has become a must in my kitchen now, so will it be in yours, where there is a will there there is a way and God definitely helps those who help themselves.

** Here is my method of preparing “Jolada rotti/ Jwarichi Bhakri/ Jowar (Sorghum) Roti” … My Style … You can use silicon sheet, thick plastic sheet or a wooden board too …

** The traditional way of preparing the dough for these bhakris is boiling water with a salt and a drop or two of oil/ ghee and then adding on the flour, mixing it well, allowing to slightly cool and then kneading it well till its smooth and then either preparing it into rotti using either a rolling pin or patting method. A little bit of rice flour is added on by some while kneading to make it better rolling consistency, I have not added on any and prepared it with patting method.

** Boil some water in a vessel and keep it ready. In a bowl add in about half a cup of jowar flour, a pinch of salt and add in boiling water little by little and immediately start mixing till you get a smooth rolling consistency ball.

** Now immediately place a silicon sheet on flat surface, dust the prepared dough ball in jowar flour and then place it on the sheet and start patting it evenly to a round circular shape on the size of your choice. You can dust a little bit in between for easier patting and flip it once or twice. It easily flips over and I managed a large say 10 inch dia rotti and was very happy with the results.

** For the next rotti continue the same procedure as above of mixing once again some flour with hot water and follow rest method. I followed this patter and did not prepare the dough in one go, this I learnt from my maid help about a decade back but never bothered to prepare and whenever I needed she would do it.

** Well it was high time I learnt to do, but I always followed the method of making the mixture using boiling water on gas, then mixing it a little bit, covering, cooling etc. and then rolling, which also gives great results, but I always wanted to learn this method and silicon sheets came to my aid. You can search the patting method of You Tube Channel especially by any Maharashtrian person which will give you fair idea of the preparation.

** Once the rotti has been patted well, flip it over on hand and then flip it on hot tava. Lower the heat to minimum, and with a help of a wet cloth spread a thin film layer of water just enough to wet the top surface of the rotti, be careful, the tava is hot and you may burn your hand.

** With the help of a roti spatula, loosen the rotti and flip it over and repeat the wet cloth layering on that surface too. After that raise the heat and cook the roti like how we do with normal roti, by flip it over again. Once done, apply a thin layer of melted ghee on each side and let cook for a minute each on both sides. Remove and place it on a plate and continue with remaining.

** Note : I have not placed the roti directly on hot flame to make a phulka sort, as this one is not rolled with a rolling pin and it will not blow up properly, but that can be done too if the patting method has been done evenly, this was my first time, so I did not want to take risk and above all the rotti had turned out soft and superb textured more so like soft naan and I did not want to spoil that, maybe next time I will try out more methods and post them, so keep a watch out for the same here.

** “Jolada rotti/ Jwarichi Bhakri/ Jowar (Sorghum) Roti” is done and ready to be served. As I have already mentioned above, I always find that these rotti tastes best when served with spicy curries be it veg or non-veg and in my home we do not like it with simple bhaji as somehow it turns out bland. Traditionally it is served with hot with curry and raw onion and some fried green chillies and I guess it tastes wonderful.

** I did not fry the green chillies as I did not want serve it as there was enough spicy curry served along with the rotti, but I did it keep it on for the click. Raw onions are my hubby’s favorite and he does enjoy it, though I do not, you may serve add on a raita or onion salad in place of raw ones.

** Note : Adding of boiling water while preparing the dough is must and the dough too should not be allowed to cool or when you pat or for that matter even roll it, the roti cracks up and becomes difficult to roll.

** Again, if you need to prepare more rotti, prepare dough maximum of two and roll and then continue, if you prepare all the dough in one go it will go cold and not work out well. That is not the way these rotti is prepared, that is why I mentioned, see to it that you have time.

** Having said these things, I still urge you to try them out, if need be check out with anybody who knows to do it, first hand keen observation is always preferred when it comes to cooking methods and I would strongly suggest that, if not you can check You tubes too, you will definitely get any idea of the same.

** You can check out the recipe of “Magge Bikkanda Sukkale Sungtache Koddel/ Curry” clicking on the link given below ….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks.